New DVC member

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Been wanting to become a DVC member for quite sometime just not sure if it's in budget. Still awaiting a promotion at work soon that will allow me to join. Pretty much have all the details I want to become a member when I do become one. I know which resort (Beach Club) I know the price. Just can't really hammer down a number on how much it will cost as a resale. For 1 week and time of year doesn't matter to us. We prefer not summer or Christmas or Spring break.

Well, you don't mention kids, but I'll make a rash assumption from your avatar that you don't have any as of yet. :) Anyway, looking at the points charts - to go anytime of the year except Christmas or spring break, a 1 bedroom will be between 197 and 269 points, while a studio would be 107 - 134 points for a full week. While a studio would be fine for you now, and maybe while kids are very young, you might want to consider the 1 bedroom. My wife and I rarely stay in a studio, even if it's just the 2 of us. We are spoiled by the extra amenities that come with the 1 bedroom. King bed, jacuzzi tub, separate walk-in shower, full kitchen, washer/dryer, separate living room, and the list goes on and on. Yes, they are more points, but worth every one of them to us!

Looks like average price is about $95 per point for BC right now on resales. Much lower than the $155/point direct from Disney cost. Good luck!

EOD K9

Congrats, Welcome home and so jeal. We have been trying to get into GFV - to no avail. Our Home resort is Saratoga Springs. Funnily enough, our story was similar. I ordered the DVC info years ago...2006 I think. They sent this gorgeous hardbound book and never called or hounded me. We went on the 4 night Disney Cruise and went to the presentation and BAM, pulled the plug when we got home. We purchased 320 pts, and have never looked back.

Best investment EV-ER!
320?? I feel like a pauper at only 150. Guess I need to purchase a small add on.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Congrats, Welcome home and so jeal. We have been trying to get into GFV - to no avail. Our Home resort is Saratoga Springs. Funnily enough, our story was similar. I ordered the DVC info years ago...2006 I think. They sent this gorgeous hardbound book and never called or hounded me. We went on the 4 night Disney Cruise and went to the presentation and BAM, pulled the plug when we got home. We purchased 320 pts, and have never looked back.

Best investment EV-ER!
When are you trying to get in? We are also owners at SSR, and just spent a week at GFV in March. Granted, we stayed in a 1 bedroom, so that might be easier to book over a studio.

EOD K9

I was looking online at adding via resale, and I can see some people have purchased too many and are really trying to dump what looks like to me was a mistake on their end.

Diva120

320?? I feel like a pauper at only 150. Guess I need to purchase a small add on.

LMAO!! We had grand plans to vacation big with the extended family, and well - it didn't work out that way. While that is a bummer, my itty bitty family of 3 can go more times per year or squirrel away for a Cruise.

Diva120

When are you trying to get in? We are also owners at SSR, and just spent a week at GFV in March. Granted, we stayed in a 1 bedroom, so that might be easier to book over a studio.
Spring break (don't give me that look! I know I know!) It was a lark - we ended up in AKV Jambo. You can't beat the point costs at AKV studios.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Spring break (don't give me that look! I know I know!) It was a lark - we ended up in AKV Jambo. You can't beat the point costs at AKV studios.
I think that is the problem with non-owners wanting a studio at VGF. There just aren't enough to go around. I really think that is why the new Poly DVC units are all studios in the rehabbed buildings. Should make it a lot easier for most to get in there, even if you don't own there.

The AKV studios are really nice. That was the last studio we stayed in back in 2009. Haven't been in a studio since!

Diva120

I was looking online at adding via resale, and I can see some people have purchased too many and are really trying to dump what looks like to me was a mistake on their end.

I would be hesitant to add on via re-sale only because of the restrictions. I believe with re-sale points - you can only use them for WDW and nothing else. No Cruise, no RCI, no Paris, and No Adventures.

Diva120

I think that is the problem with non-owners wanting a studio at VGF. There just aren't enough to go around. I really think that is why the new Poly DVC units are all studios in the rehabbed buildings. Should make it a lot easier for most to get in there, even if you don't own there.

The AKV studios are really nice. That was the last studio we stayed in back in 2009. Haven't been in a studio since!

My absolute fave is Beach Club, but as my husband says (mockingly) the worst case scenario we end up in SSR.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I would be hesitant to add on via re-sale only because of the restrictions. I believe with re-sale points - you can only use them for WDW and nothing else. No Cruise, no RCI, no Paris, and No Adventures.
Close. You can still use them with RCI Exchanges. The rest, it's true that you cannot use them for that.

Diva120

Close. You can still use them with RCI Exchanges. The rest, it's true that you cannot use them for that.

Awesome - thanks - I just posted up the question in a new thread, LOL. Just learned that there is a work around for people to rent their points and use the cash. Alas, I haven't graduated to RCI or renting out my points yet.

EOD K9

Awesome - thanks - I just posted up the question in a new thread, LOL. Just learned that there is a work around for people to rent their points and use the cash. Alas, I haven't graduated to RCI or renting out my points yet.
I have rented my points to finance my cruises. Since I only plan on using them in WDW, resale for me would work best. I appreciate you trying to give me the heads up though.

Diva120

I have rented my points to finance my cruises. Since I only plan on using them in WDW, resale for me would work best. I appreciate you trying to give me the heads up though.

Thank you so much for being courteous!!! Thank you all, really.

Last edited:

TXDisney

Well, you don't mention kids, but I'll make a rash assumption from your avatar that you don't have any as of yet. :) Anyway, looking at the points charts - to go anytime of the year except Christmas or spring break, a 1 bedroom will be between 197 and 269 points, while a studio would be 107 - 134 points for a full week. While a studio would be fine for you now, and maybe while kids are very young, you might want to consider the 1 bedroom. My wife and I rarely stay in a studio, even if it's just the 2 of us. We are spoiled by the extra amenities that come with the 1 bedroom. King bed, jacuzzi tub, separate walk-in shower, full kitchen, washer/dryer, separate living room, and the list goes on and on. Yes, they are more points, but worth every one of them to us!

Looks like average price is about $95 per point for BC right now on resales. Much lower than the $155/point direct from Disney cost. Good luck!
Nope no kids yet. But we will soon enough. So knowing we will have kids will be huge in our decision on what resort to choose and what time of the year as well. We just go every single year sometimes twice and it just makes sense to do a DVC. But money might be hard to do it all at once. Dropping that 20-25k for resale.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hey, we love SSR. I know it's not the most popular sentiment, but we really do.

I was chatting with a couple about DVC resorts once while waiting for the bus back to our shared resort from DTD. They mentioned their home resort was SSR (they were staying at VGF and I was stayed at GF) and they hated it. I was hesitant to book, but it was the only available with a 1 bedroom. We've stayed twice now and really like it, even though my home resorts are VWL & VGF. Of all the DVC resorts, it has the best fitness center (an important amenity for my soon to be son-in-law, lol). And the grounds are lovely. And you cannot beat the proximity to DTD; when the weather is nice, it's a lovely walk along the river to DTD.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom