New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

180º

Thank you very much @180º !!! Those Spirit threads can get so long and convoluted so quickly that it's easy to miss important stuff like this.

I know I speak for many here when I say thank you for bringing it to our attention! It's good news, tinged with a bit of political drama. Fun!
Absolutely! I don't read every single page, but it just so happened that I saw this post when I clicked the thread today.

Old Mouseketeer

That joke dates back a lot farther than the Dapper Dans. In this form, it was in circulation at college campuses back in the 1920s. In 1921, The Virginia Reel from the University of Virginia printed:

“She was as pure and as white as snow.”
“Yes, but she drifted.” – The Yale Record.
I first heard a variation in a recording of Mae West who, following the success of Disney's Snow White, used the joke in her vaudeville act this way:

“I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.”​

That would certainly make sense--Main St. is supposed to convey an early 20th century esthetic and that kind of semi-racy corny humor would fit.

George Lucas on a Bench

Speaking of Disney bloggers covering nothing, has anyone noticed on their YouTubes countless videos by people in WDW covering the hurricane? There are so many videos of people at WDW during the hurricane and in the aftermath recording what I guess was just some fallen trees. I think vlogging just needs to go away.

Ismael Flores

SO anyone know how those Orlando bloggers felt about the Anaheim Halloween overlay?
Seems like Anaheim really stepped up their game and hope that it continues and spreads I to the rest of the park as this Halloween idea grows

Phroobar

SO anyone know how those Orlando bloggers felt about the Anaheim Halloween overlay?
Seems like Anaheim really stepped up their game and hope that it continues and spreads I to the rest of the park as this Halloween idea grows
I think the Orlando bloggers don't know Anaheim exists. They are too busy talking like cartoon characters and dressing like twelve year olds. Heck, most of them seem to think they ARE at Disneyland while at the Magic Kingdom. They are best watched and not heard.

TP2000

Unfortunately, I don't believe those two things are necessarily related. (They've been moving dirt around there for a while.)

That dirt has sat there for over a year. After a few months it grows small shrubs and vegetation, and I imagine they have to keep turning over the soil to prevent a full-scale natural habitat from developing with trees, brush, raccoons, possums, coyotes, snakes, bird colonies, etc.

SSG

Here's the Toy Story expansion; 400 or so spaces:

BLD2017-04077 Toy Story Parking (SP-9) - South/East Corner lot - Site Work: Extend existing parking lot approximately 6.4 acres, new perimeter sound wall of 1,163 ln.ft of cmu wall x 16' high. (12) light poles. new accessible ramp and stairs.

TP2000

Like many big companies, today is the last day of Disney's corporate Fiscal Year. Tomorrow begins a brand new year, Fiscal Year 2018.

You generally don't wear a funny hat and drink champagne, but if Disney is like any other company... old budgets are put into the archives, new budgets turn on, departmental buyers go on a spending spree on Monday morning, new projects begin, new managers are moved to new teams to start new programs and initiatives, etc., etc.

And Monday's meeting of the Anaheim Planning Commission has been cancelled, again, due to "a lack of agenda items". The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, October 16th. http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

SSG

This from MiceChat:

PARKING PROBLEMS
After Disney and the City of Anaheim got into one of the worst political arguments in their 63 year old history together, TDA has their tail between their legs and has quietly gone back to the drawing board on the stalled Eastern Gateway parking and transportation plan. Disney will soon make a last ditch attempt to re-apply for permit approval for the Eastern Gateway, with a reconfigured pedestrian and access plan for the infamous parking project. The clock is ticking with just over 18 months to go before Star Wars Land opens, and it will be a race to the finish to make it in time if Anaheim approves the reconfigured plan. TDA’s revolving door office of the President is to blame here, with each senior executive team going back more than a decade kicking the can down the road on the Resort’s deteriorating and short-sighted parking infrastructure. Now they are paying the heavy price for that failing.

Eastern-Gateway-696x415.jpeg

There’s something to be said for walking in the customers shoes and knowing your product personally, but when Disney purposely grants every senior executive complimentary valet parking at the Grand Californian whenever their friends and family visit the Resort, it only made the parking situation worse for the past decade by insulating senior decision makers from their customer’s crummy parking experience (not to mention their employees too). Those same execs are also granted unlimited Fastpasses and complimentary Tour Guides to usher them through exits and to reserved seats for parades and shows, which helps explain why the crowding and line situation in the parks has also gotten so bad.

While TDA will pretend in their dealings with Anaheim that future spending at the Resort depends on the ticket tax moratorium and an approved Eastern Gateway, there are already plenty of big projects lined up and moving towards a start date. That Marvel expansion for DCA is just one, while the re-aligned monorail route that was stalled by the Eastern Gateway debacle will open up even more expansion land for DCA.

D

Deleted member 107043

Are we expecting a better plan from Disney or more of the same cheapness and laziness?

Other than better access to pedestrians along Harbor Blvd, which I presume would alter the proposed security bubble plan, I expect little to be different.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Other than better access to pedestrians along Harbor Blvd, which I presume would alter the proposed security bubble plan, I expect little to be different.

I too expect not much will be different. Which then will beg the question what all the uproar and delay really was about, other than the Mayor trying to flex his political might.

lazyboy97o

All of the work may not be in relation to actually drawing the plan. Even then, while Disney will submit/release a plan, that plan is actually derived from the same 3D model that is used to create the perspective renderings. This means that other information that is not visible in the plan image is still in place and designed.

D

Deleted member 107043

Which then will beg the question what all the uproar and delay really was about,

The "uproar", as usual, mostly came from overly excited online Disney fans.

The main push back appeared to be from local business owners who complained about the lack of resort access points for pedestrians on Harbor Blvd and the lackluster design of the bridge. Instead of disregarding that feedback Disney appears to be retooling the design, something that's not unusual for developers to do following a public review. The issues raised should be relatively easy to solve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom