New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

GiveMeTheMusic

TP2000

MiceChat rumor update talks about the city council slowing up the EGP.

http://micechat.com/159148-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-schedule-struggle/

Thank you! I'm not in the habit of visiting that site now, so it's nice to hear when a Miceage Update shows up. I still miss Mr. Lutz.

It's hard to tell who is stupider - the mayor/city council, who want the city to languish in horrific traffic, or Colglazier/TDA, who waited years too long to get this VERY basic project off the ground and then cut off the CM portion completely.

No kidding. I would like to think that TDA and their Burbank masters have learned a lesson here about delaying overdue infrastructure investment, but I doubt they have.

Miceage Updates have constantly hammered home the fact that TDA executives have reserved employee parking spots and free valet parking at the Grand Californian for themselves and their families whenever they want to visit the parks. Some folks have criticized Miceage for constantly mentioning it as being "class warfare", but I think it's a very valid point that points to a systematic corporate culture that is wrong.

If the big bosses never have to experience the hassles their paying customers do, why should the big bosses care about spending money to fix the hassle when they can pad their annual budgets and improve their chances for a bigger bonus and annual raise because they saved the company money?

Michael Colglazier made a boneheaded mistake here, just like his predecessors did. Now he has to live with that mistake and it's made his job harder. Lesson learned for Colglazier? I doubt it.

By all means, make things as difficult as possible to make your city more livable. :rolleyes:

I don't want to get too political, but there was a reason why the mayor and most city councilmen had to change their tune this last election cycle and become vocally anti-Disney. It involves changing demographics and the change from at-large city council elections to a district based voting system for the sprawling city of Anaheim. Many of the names who are suddenly anti-Disney in 2017 were pro-Disney in 2015, or at the very least independent thinkers. It's quite fascinating to watch, at least when you don't have to live in Anaheim.

Last edited:

Stevek

Correct. Here's what it roughly looks like now:
View attachment 197002

Historically, this "triangle" was home to Flaky Jakes, The Boogie (aka Cowboy Boogie, The Bandstand, The Cowboy, The Crescendo) and Del Taco. For years, the first two have been closed (using much of the parking lot for construction staging/parking). I find this a bit interesting because I don't really know the chronology of how things progressed. On the surface, it seems odd that long-standing Del Taco could be forced to move because their new neighbors don't permit drive-thru places.

Perhaps Del Taco was on leased land, and Cambria bought the whole triangle, thus being able to force them out? Or, did Del Taco just take a huge payout that made this worth while. I'll have to do some research later.
Good old Flaky Jakes...had a few meals there when I worked in Anaheim. Visited that Del Taco a few times as well.

D

Deleted member 107043

It's hard to tell who is stupider - the mayor/city council, who want the city to languish in horrific traffic, or Colglazier/TDA, who waited years too long to get this VERY basic project off the ground and then cut off the CM portion completely.

I don't disagree with your point, but I will say that the plan Disney presented wasn't one that made much sense from a tourist experience standpoint. It's already been discussed to death, but forcing Harbor Blvd hotel guests to take such a roundabout pedestrian route to the Esplanade from Harbor was a terrible recommendation. I don't fault the City and local businesses for pushing back, at least on that one significant piece of the proposal.

Curious Constance

I don't disagree with your point, but I will say that the plan Disney presented wasn't one that made much sense from a tourist experience standpoint. It's already been discussed to death, but forcing Harbor Blvd hotel guests to take such a roundabout pedestrian route to the Esplanade from Harbor was a terrible recommendation. I don't fault the City and local businesses for pushing back, at least on that one significant piece of the proposal.
Actually, if their push back causes Disney to continue allowing access from Harbor somehow, then I'll be happy. I stay on Harbor specifically to be as close as possible to the parks. I wasn't looking forward to adding a huge walk to and from the parks to our future trips.

TP2000

Actually, if their push back causes Disney to continue allowing access from Harbor somehow, then I'll be happy. I stay on Harbor specifically to be as close as possible to the parks. I wasn't looking forward to adding a huge walk to and from the parks to our future trips.

Disney could help fix that by adding back the moving sidewalks. Miceage detailed how TDA cut moving sidewalks from the plans a year ago to save money. Psychologically, moving sidewalks would make the experience more gracious and convenient for pedestrians coming from Harbor, in addition to actually saving customers with tired feet some steps and some time.

Of course back in the 1990's the plan was to use PeopleMover systems to get customers from a bigger version of this parking structure to the parks, but those are even more expensive than moving sidewalks.

westcot2_circulation.jpg

TDA went as cheap as possible on the Eastern Gateway, after they delayed the project for years and years and downsized it, and now they are surprised the local community isn't falling all over themselves in praise for Disney's cheap corporate culture? TDA gets what they deserve on this one I'm afraid.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I know I'm late to the party but how were guests staying at the Harbor hotels going to get to the park under Disney's proposal? Go backwards through some alley and through the security checkpoint where day guests parked?

Stevek

Disney could help fix that by adding back the moving sidewalks. Miceage detailed how TDA cut moving sidewalks from the plans a year ago to save money. Psychologically, moving sidewalks would make the experience more gracious and convenient for pedestrians coming from Harbor, in addition to actually saving customers with tired feet some steps and some time.

Of course back in the 1990's the plan was to use PeopleMover systems to get customers from a bigger version of this parking structures to the parks, but those are even more expensive than moving sidewalks.

westcot2_circulation.jpg

TDA went as cheap as possible on the Eastern Gateway, after they delayed the project for years and years and downsized it, and now they are surprised the local community isn't falling all over themselves in praise for Disney's cheap corporate culture? TDA gets what they deserve on this one I'm afraid.

Ugh...that map. Just a reminder how cool the resort could have been.

Curious Constance

Of course back in the 1990's the plan was to use PeopleMover systems to get customers from a bigger version of this parking structures to the parks, but those are even more expensive than moving sidewalks.

westcot2_circulation.jpg

Oh my gosh, my feet would kill for moving sidewalks!!!

I think my son said it best on our last trip. On the way back to the hotel, he said, "Mom, my feet feel like a couple of hot peppers."

NobodyElse

I know I'm late to the party but how were guests staying at the Harbor hotels going to get to the park under Disney's proposal? Go backwards through some alley and through the security checkpoint where day guests parked?

In a nutshell, yes.
If you go back and look at a few of the illustrations in this thread, you can see the proposal. If the Harbor hotels did nothing, guests would have to walk around one way or another (or take a shuttle, etc.) to get to the new security area. Almost every one of those hotels back up to the new north/south pedestrian walkway. With a few modifications and neighborly agreements, they would have easy access to the walkway. They could even market the back rooms as more convenient.

D

Deleted member 107043

Of course back in the 1990's the plan was to use PeopleMover systems to get customers from a bigger version of this parking structure to the parks, but those are even more expensive than moving sidewalks.

westcot2_circulation.jpg

Screw moving sidewalks. What happened to monorails and peoplemovers?

truecoat

In a nutshell, yes.
If you go back and look at a few of the illustrations in this thread, you can see the proposal. If the Harbor hotels did nothing, guests would have to walk around one way or another (or take a shuttle, etc.) to get to the new security area. Almost every one of those hotels back up to the new north/south pedestrian walkway. With a few modifications and neighborly agreements, they would have easy access to the walkway. They could even market the back rooms as more convenient.

With no back access, the hotels in back get to raise their prices while the ones in front will have to compromise.

TP2000

Welp... it's May now. So happy May Day to Lenin and Kruschev and Brezhnev and all my Communist friends out there! :confused:

The month of May also signals that the most recent Miceage Update is accurate about the drama in TDA and delays in Anaheim City Hall on this Eastern Gateway project. http://micechat.com/159148-miceage-disneyland-rumor-update-schedule-struggle/

This project was once widely reported to begin by now, but absolutely nothing has happened here since December. The big piles of dirt they mounded up on this site last fall have since been covered in plastic tarps, and now sagebrush is growing on them after all the winter rain.

Here's a photo taken from the (then still open) Carousel Inn back in August 2016, after the major earth moving began and then abruptly stopped last fall. This image hasn't changed since, except they put tarps over all the dirt this past winter when the project went into long-term mothballs per Anaheim City Council.
obq26j-b88771744z.120160810184233000gfvi5sra.10.jpg

The Carousel Inn closed six months ago, was stripped of all its interiors, and now just sits there as an empty shell fenced off. Zzzz....

A reminder that this same space is supposed to look like this 18 or 20 months from now, with a 7,000 space parking garage just south of here connecting it all.
oc0ur0-b88775194z.120160816143511000grpi70lo.10.jpg

A check today of the Anaheim Planning Commission bi-weekly meeting scheduled for this evening shows only three minor issues up for discussion, and not a single mention of the Eastern Gateway for any future meetings. http://local.anaheim.net/docs_agend/ag_3vers/planning.pdf

Something tells me there's a game of chicken going on here between Michael Colglazier's TDA team and Mayor Tait's Anaheim City Council team. And so far, TDA is losing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom