1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Disneyland Parking Garage and Transportation Hub

Discussion in 'Disneyland Resort' started by RMichael21, Aug 10, 2016.

1. NobodyElse

NobodyElse Well-Known Member

I'm going to post some more later, but first I wanted to remind folks of my general thoughts on this issue.
    I don't have any direct quotes right now, but in the past I've seen implications that the bridge project will somehow cut these business off from the public. The only business that are actually being cut off are Carousel Inn and Pizza Press, which Disney bought the right to do. ;)

EDIT* Here's their quote: "This project will choke off neighborhood businesses located on Harbor Boulevard and indeed the entire block."

All of the businesses will still have driveway and walkway access from Harbor and its sidewalks. (Cars may actually have easier ingress with less pedestrians to interact with.)

"Red" should publish an Executive Summary:

• The small shops and eateries on Harbor are unhappy with the plan because the foot traffic they've become accustomed to will likely decrease.
    • The hotels / motels on Harbor are unhappy because they may not appear as attractive to potential customers because the walking distance to Disneyland might increase.
    If he did that, I'd give him an internet cookie.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. NobodyElse

Something to consider. Two of the arguably most aesthetically pleasing pedestrian bridges are located in the
    South Coast Plaza area.
    upload_2017-2-1_9-37-56.png

First came Unity Bridge:
    [​IMG]

Next came Bridge of Gardens:
    [​IMG]

Note: Both of these bridges bypass (exclude, cut off access to, etc.) the sidewalks of the streets that they overpass. I'm just sayin'...

TP2000 likes this.
  3. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

is this real? thats so crazy they make them put signs up like that

4. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

why didnt disney want to just build the new hotels themselves? seems like they've really missed the boat on future property land control and future revenues by "bringing in" 3rd party deals

5. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

a plan i made that would create a dtd east district

this could be done as a value/moderate hotel which would be a good compliment to the hotels on the west side rather than competition and a good replacement to what is there now
    downtown disney east.jpg

6. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

most likely kicking themselves as their leadership isnt known for looking at the long term

7. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

its too bad disney couldnt get the city to take it by eminent domain to add a ramp to i-5 south
    and only pay them a low market value after years of being stupid owners

8. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

is this new one bigger than the old one?

could size have contributed to them wanting to move?

9. NobodyElse

Yes - larger venue, less restrictions on acts, perhaps better parking, and likely a better deal on rent.

The new digs will cover 44,000 square feet and include a 2,200-capacity main music hall for bigger touring acts and events, a 400-capacity room called The Parish for smaller performances, singer-songwriter evenings, release parties and corporate meetings, a 175-capacity Foundation Room/VIP club and a much larger restaurant, kitchen and bar than it had at Downtown Disney.

Because of space limitations, the old House of Blues Anaheim just couldn’t accommodate a Foundation Room, which is standard at all other House of Blues locations. The new addition will feature a full bar, nightly entertainment of its own and a viewing platform of the stage in the main concert hall.

“No venue has ever combined all of this under one roof,” Ron Bension, president of House of Blues Entertainment, said in a press release. “Some nights will have four bands playing in four separate performance spaces at the same time. It will truly be a 4-D live music entertainment experience.”

10. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

such a scenario isnt really feasible at all

as then you'd have people backing up at the bottom of the elevator which then becomes a security hazard of its own

there's just too many people on harbor to allow for not "forcing" people to go to the new gateway that has the space to accommodate the crowds in a timely manor

it would be terrible if bad people driving by did something bad to guests waiting in line for an elevator on the side of the street

11. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

Putting security UNDER the walkway is a big big no no.

imagine what would happen if someone using this security station had a bomb, the damage wouldnt be restricted to the space below and could cause the walkway above to collapse killing hundreds or even thousands of people

i know we dont want to think that way but unfortunately those are the times we live in.

they actually paid 32 million for the hotel they bought, while yes its an expensive walkway, they really have no other choice, maybe someday they will get their hands on the land to the north and south of the walkway for shops or something, but right now they are just using what they have and the strip is only 65 feet wide so thats not wide enough to have a path and a shop considering the volume of people that will be using it

12. mm121

mm121 Well-Known Member

or maybe the dark side of disney could keep it tied up in red tape making it worthless then find a way to buy it before it gets redone, since once it gets redone there will no chance to buy it for at least like 30 years

13. RMichael21

RMichael21 Well-Known Member Original Poster

Usually their commentary is pretty horrendous, but this video is actually very informative.

Kiwiduck, phruby, Texas84 and 2 others like this.
  14. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

You're right, that video from them is fairly informative and watchable. None of those animations they showed are new, we were talking about them on the Anaheim website months ago, but they are very helpful.

One thing he did catch was the new route of the Monorail in that last animation he shows. That confirms the Miceage rumor from last year then.

This Eastern Gateway project seems to have stalled. Dangerously so as the opening of Star Wars Land grows closer by the day.

And Disney is clearly not being forthright on all of their plans for this area; for instance why they need to reroute the Monorail's 1961 route (that didn't move an inch to build DCA in 1998-2000), what they plan to do with all that newly empty space in the East Esplanade, etc. The local businesses are furious, but I'm not sure there's a solution here that they will like.

About the only complaint the local businesses have that I think has merit is their critique that the bridge as designed is kind of ugly. It is kind of ugly, and obviously done rather cheaply. But their website slams it with criticism about "architectural integrity" and "aesthetic standards" and then preaches about good urban design.

And I read that and just think... "Hey, guys, I hate to tell you but your 50 year old cinder block IHOP and two-star motels wedged tightly together with cheesy mish-mash architecture isn't exactly the Palace at Versailles" :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    ssaamm, raven24, Furiated and 9 others like this.
  15. truecoat

truecoat Well-Known Member

@Darkbeer1 any updates? Haven't heard from you in a while. Hope things are going well for you.

16. TP2000

TP2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, I was just thinking about @Darkbeer1 the other day too. I know he mentioned taking some time for some medical recuperation, and I hope he is doing well. :)

In the meantime, I just checked Google News and the Anaheim.net website and there hasn't been any change in this Eastern Gateway story. The project appears to be at an impasse, and Anaheim is in no hurry to give it its blessing so Disney can begin construction. Which must be very worrying for TDA types as Star Wars Land gets closer by the day and their parking/transportation plan gets further away by the day.

17. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

Looks like they'll have to let cars park in the actual hotel, as Fresh Baked Disney suggested.

180º likes this.
  18. jbradway

jbradway Active Member

I don't see how it's any benefit for the city to delay the project. All they will get for their troubles is more traffic problems as they try to deal with the influx of guests coming in a few years.

19. BubbaQuest

BubbaQuest Well-Known Member

Should I feel bad for laughing that this may not be done in time?

I could see a parking garage being built in a year, but an overpass across a public road? If's that's not breaking ground now....

More concerning to me is I still haven't heard anything more about the land they purchased north of I-5. I thought that was supposed to be a new employee parking lot to replace the current parking in Pumba. If they close Pumba to start construction without any additional parking, will they already be over capacity?

20. Curious Constance

Curious Constance Well-Known Member

Question:

When you're walking to the parks from Harbor, where do you go through security screening at? The green tents are gone from the Esplanade, and I'm trying to picture how it differs now.
    Also, do they have everyone going through security, or are they still spot checking?