New costume for Star Tours

flavious27

How the heck did this thread turn into a weight discussion. How about we keep on track of the actual subject?

If we get a tron attraction, how true to the movies would the CM costumes be?

I really don't see disney trying to have female CMs dressed as the Sirens,
unless they edit the costume (remove the bikini bottom).

5254366739_a56b1f55e2.jpg

There are some really good homemade tron legacy costumes that people have made, it should be easy for disney to find a away to make 50 or 100 of these for 4 or 5 hour use.

coolest-homemade-tron-legacy-costume-21417536.jpg

What do you think?

Neverland

Gah! :lol:

As for the style, they are definitely leaning towards prequel-era style (as they should) which was a bit more grandiose than the original trilogy.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm seeing in those pictures. The old movies and the new movies are pretty much two different entities, stylistically. Darth Vader's 1970s-designed outfit looks really out of place in 2005's Episode III. Since Star Tours will now take place in the prequel era, it makes sense that the costumes reflect the prequels' style.

Edeyore

Well now that this thread is actually about the costumes I guess I can comment. When I first looked at these costumes I did not see a Star Wars influence until I looked at an Imperial officers uniform. These costumes definitely resemble this uniform in form at least. A little flair and color have been added which would be consistent with the flight attendant theme.

Admiral_Hart_by_WoodyLWG.jpg

A little too Third Reich.

lazyboy97o

Well now that this thread is actually about the costumes I guess I can comment. When I first looked at these costumes I did not see a Star Wars influence until I looked at an Imperial officers uniform. These costumes definitely resemble this uniform in form at least. A little flair and color have been added which would be consistent with the flight attendant theme.
Even the Imperial Officer uniform has some layers and accessories. Disney of late goes for a layered look with flat materials and the images provided reflect that. In Star Wars I would more expect each color to be its own layer, not part of a single piece.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Even the Imperial Officer uniform has some layers and accessories. Disney of late goes for a layered look with flat materials and the images provided reflect that. In Star Wars I would more expect each color to be its own layer, not part of a single piece.
True, but you have to take a look at this from a practicality aspect. They want a layered look but would it be advisable to have a CM standing outside on a 95 degree day wearing 4 layers of clothes?

lazyboy97o

True, but you have to take a look at this from a practicality aspect. They want a layered look but would it be advisable to have a CM standing outside on a 95 degree day wearing 4 layers of clothes?
I completely understand that, I just think that in recent years Disney has done a rather poor job with its faux-layered looks.

juniorthomas

If we get a tron attraction, how true to the movies would the CM costumes be?

I really don't see disney trying to have female CMs dressed as the Sirens,
unless they edit the costume (remove the bikini bottom).

5254366739_a56b1f55e2.jpg

There are some really good homemade tron legacy costumes that people have made, it should be easy for disney to find a away to make 50 or 100 of these for 4 or 5 hour use.

coolest-homemade-tron-legacy-costume-21417536.jpg

What do you think?

While I would welcome sirens in any Tron ride in The World, I feel confident in surmising that Disney will fashion loose fitting, ostentatious garb for all CMs. The stranger looking the better. Kind of like the floors in a TD Bank.

flavious27

While I would welcome sirens in any Tron ride in The World, I feel confident in surmising that Disney will fashion loose fitting, ostentatious garb for all CMs. The stranger looking the better. Kind of like the floors in a TD Bank.

You have no idea some of the crazy designs that Shirley got paid for.

Guests are going to be disappointed if disney does just have CMs in an updated Space Mountain costume. They are going to expect the costumes to be illuminated, kind of like how we expected the same for any tron ears.

AEfx

Because this is not star wars, it is star tours. They are basically flight attendents, so why would they be dressed like storm troopers.

Yeah, that's why I don't get the complaints either.

I have done some work in a Star Wars community and when you hear things like that it's like...well, you know not every type of everything that exists in the SW universe was shown in the films, right?

How many flight attendandents did you see in the filims?

Answer - not many. There *may* have been one seen in the public transport in Ep II when Padme and Anakin go on their trip, but I'd have to look back. Anyway, that is years before this ride takes place.

It looks perfectly "Star Warsy" to me - seeing how we really never saw any flight attendants in Star Wars to begin with. If they were all dressed as troopers, Boba Fett, or ewoks, it would have been quite silly. ;)

jakeman

Answer - not many. There *may* have been one seen in the public transport in Ep II when Padme and Anakin go on their trip, but I'd have to look back. Anyway, that is years before this ride takes place.
I had this same thought and no crew members are listed on wookieepedia for that particular liner.

I also checked to see if any from the Coral Vanda made an appearance in the Dark Force Rising comic and I didn't see any listed.

juniorthomas

You have no idea some of the crazy designs that Shirley got paid for.

Guests are going to be disappointed if disney does just have CMs in an updated Space Mountain costume. They are going to expect the costumes to be illuminated, kind of like how we expected the same for any tron ears.

Actually, for a number of reasons, I do have an idea of her crazy designs.

Logistically, they'll never be able to light up the CMs though. It would be so important to the theming, but I can't see them doing it. They'd just as soon put a reflective strip on there.

juniorthomas

Yeah, that's why I don't get the complaints either.

I have done some work in a Star Wars community and when you hear things like that it's like...well, you know not every type of everything that exists in the SW universe was shown in the films, right?

How many flight attendandents did you see in the filims?

It looks perfectly "Star Warsy" to me - seeing how we really never saw any flight attendants in Star Wars to begin with. If they were all dressed as troopers, Boba Fett, or ewoks, it would have been quite silly. ;)

Agreed. These CMs are going to be dressed like people in the SW universe, not from either the rebel alliance or the empire specifically. If people want them to be dressed like stormtroopers, why wouldn't they go all out and simply ask for Darth Vader to usher them in and out of the ride?

Thrill Seeker

Took a quick spin through the costume directory on The Hub and found these:

Magic Kingdom
Adventureland Attractions Enchanted Tiki Room, The Magic Carpets of Aladdin, Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse

Epcot
Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros
Cantina de San Angel
African Outpost
Tangierine Cafe (Hostess only)
Club Cool
Mexico Merchandise

Disney's Hollywood Studios
Star Tours: The Adventures Continue

Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Rafiki's Planet Watch
Africa and Asia Merchandise and Food & Beverage Carts
Tusker House
Flame Tree Barbeque
Yak & Yeti
Dawa Bar
Discovery Island Merchandise

Wait, so the shirt is untucked? Awesome! I can't wait to check out the actual thing.

AEfx

Agreed. These CMs are going to be dressed like people in the SW universe, not from either the rebel alliance or the empire specifically. If people want them to be dressed like stormtroopers, why wouldn't they go all out and simply ask for Darth Vader to usher them in and out of the ride?

Now, what *would* have been cool would have been this (and here is a *REAL* interactive queue for you):

1. Set up the story so that you are entering an Imperial or Rebel occupied Space Station.

2. Station is under attack, "We gotta get out of here!"

3. Various effects on the way through the queue - sounds of blaster fire, maybe smoking/scorched areas.

4. The cast, dressed as either Rebel or Imp troopers (perhaps during the day Reb, at night Imp?) lead you to the "escape shuttles" - and adventure ensues.

That would have made more sense, but as it's themed to just a "regular people" Shuttleport, then the new costumes make sense.

I think the point I tried to make earlier is better expressed through that term - we forget that there were plenty of "regular people" in the Star Wars universe as well. Not everyone was part of the Empire or Rebellion, or a high-stakes smuggler or bounty hunter.

flavious27

Actually, for a number of reasons, I do have an idea of her crazy designs.

Logistically, they'll never be able to light up the CMs though. It would be so important to the theming, but I can't see them doing it. They'd just as soon put a reflective strip on there.

I worked for them for 9 years, I was surrounded in her vision for longer than a sane person should be. And I have seen the evolution of her designs, if there really was one.

Logistically they would need to figure out how to keep the outfits lit for 4 ro 5 hours, when all they could do in the movie was 15 minutes before changing batteries.

I do see them only using reflective strips with a dark cloth outfit, which would just kill the illusion we saw in the films.

This guy was able to get his setup to run for 4.5 hours.

http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-lit-Tron-v20-suit/

Disneyfan1981

Kind of. All that shows is that the droids will be painted to match the CMs, realistically if they even changed the clothing for the CMs then a couple of cans of paint and you'd have the same effect.

As for the two suggestions of the Rebel Pilot jumpsuits or the Imperial Officers uniforms, you have to remember that Star Tours exists outside of the conflicts occurring within the Star Wars universe so they wouldn't exactly be sanctioned by the Rebellion nor would they really be an Imperial thing either. At best if you look at the folks running around Cloud City which would be the only real civilization we saw in the original trilogy since Tatooine was full of "scum", the old and new costuming fits right in.

Willrow-hood.jpg

Personally I thought it'd be funny if they casted folks who looked similar to one another and say they had a bunch of various clones working the facilities. The jumpsuits there could fit in.

AotS%2B-%2BClone%2BCafeteria.jpg

juniorthomas

Now, what *would* have been cool would have been this (and here is a *REAL* interactive queue for you):

1. Set up the story so that you are entering an Imperial or Rebel occupied Space Station.

2. Station is under attack, "We gotta get out of here!"

3. Various effects on the way through the queue - sounds of blaster fire, maybe smoking/scorched areas.

4. The cast, dressed as either Rebel or Imp troopers (perhaps during the day Reb, at night Imp?) lead you to the "escape shuttles" - and adventure ensues.

That would have made more sense, but as it's themed to just a "regular people" Shuttleport, then the new costumes make sense.

I think the point I tried to make earlier is better expressed through that term - we forget that there were plenty of "regular people" in the Star Wars universe as well. Not everyone was part of the Empire or Rebellion, or a high-stakes smuggler or bounty hunter.

This sounds like a pretty nicely themed ride. Of course the sense of urgency in a ride queue would be sillied up by long waits.

CM - Come on, we need to get you to the shuttles! We need to get out of here immediately!
Ride Speaker - Next shuttle departs in 45 minutes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom