New Castmember Questions

RoyalPurplePigment

Original Poster
Hi all!

I was just hired today for a part time Quick Service Hostess position in one of the Disney World hotels and I had a few questions. About how many hours do part time cm's get per week? With the role that I am in, is there any room for advancement within the company to another role or department? How easy is it to get full time once I am eligible? Also, how much food prep actually happens when you're a QS host/hostess? Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Last edited:

fugawe09

1. Hours can vary. Your availability plays a big part, as well as hours of operation for your location, and whether CPs are in season or not. Some part timers work full time hours until they become "capped", that is after a certain number of weeks of full time hours they have to limit your hours to keep you legally defined as part time. With QSR you will have plenty of opportunity to pick up extra hours (up to your cap if applicable) if you are willing to go to other properties for those shifts (Hello, Hollywood Studios Outdoor Foods).

2. As long as you keep a clean record card and do a good job, you should have no problem getting full time in a reasonable amount of time - IF you are willing to do QSR at any location with an opening. If you restrict yourself to one location, it could take a while.

3. In union roles like QSR, pay increases within the role are mainly based on longevity. Some hosts aspire to be coordinators or even get into the management pool eventually. This can take a while though. There is a lot of emphasis on experience and proven performance to move up. There are also hourly office jobs that you can apply for anytime, but you need experience and/or education for most of these and you have to beat the pavement going out to network with managers. You can make a lateral hourly move to a different line of business (ex: merchandise, attractions, etc.) every 6 months with a clean record card.

4. QSR hosts do not generally do "cooking" - the culinary team does that. Hosts run the register, clean the dining room, stocking, plating, and some kitchen work like washing apples or making popcorn. A resort is a pretty small location so if you make nice with the cooks and chefs they may be willing to teach you something.

RoyalPurplePigment

Original Poster
1. Hours can vary. Your availability plays a big part, as well as hours of operation for your location, and whether CPs are in season or not. Some part timers work full time hours until they become "capped", that is after a certain number of weeks of full time hours they have to limit your hours to keep you legally defined as part time. With QSR you will have plenty of opportunity to pick up extra hours (up to your cap if applicable) if you are willing to go to other properties for those shifts (Hello, Hollywood Studios Outdoor Foods).

2. As long as you keep a clean record card and do a good job, you should have no problem getting full time in a reasonable amount of time - IF you are willing to do QSR at any location with an opening. If you restrict yourself to one location, it could take a while.

3. In union roles like QSR, pay increases within the role are mainly based on longevity. Some hosts aspire to be coordinators or even get into the management pool eventually. This can take a while though. There is a lot of emphasis on experience and proven performance to move up. There are also hourly office jobs that you can apply for anytime, but you need experience and/or education for most of these and you have to beat the pavement going out to network with managers. You can make a lateral hourly move to a different line of business (ex: merchandise, attractions, etc.) every 6 months with a clean record card.

4. QSR hosts do not generally do "cooking" - the culinary team does that. Hosts run the register, clean the dining room, stocking, plating, and some kitchen work like washing apples or making popcorn. A resort is a pretty small location so if you make nice with the cooks and chefs they may be willing to teach you something.

Thanks so much for the info! I'm really glad to hear about the lack of direct culinary responsibility, I don't think I'd be able to handle any cooking, it's not even remotely my thing! I am really interested in moving up to an office position, though. I already have some clerical and customer service experience (2 or so years total) and a bachelors. If I stick it out and pay my dues in hourly for a little while, would I have a good chance?

fugawe09

If I stick it out and pay my dues in hourly for a little while, would I have a good chance?

Your mileage may vary. To get into office & technical roles (hourly non-union) it's all about networking. You have to setup meet & greets or shadows with managers from those areas on your own time to get your name out there. For some O&T roles like Guest Relations, they periodically conduct interviews to fill the pool of candidates. As they have openings, they pluck from successful candidates in the pool. For many other roles it is usually one posting/one position and the hiring manager often already has a short list in their head - hence the importance of networking.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom