New "Caring for Giants" $30.00 Experience Debuts at Animal Kingdom on March 12 2017

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You know seeing other people in front or behind me in their own boats while on Peter Pan's Flight ruins the ride for me. I'm not immersed in Never Never Land because I can see the other people and all the other boats along a track on the ceiling. Darn it.
Same goes for the dangling feet in Soarin'. Oh wait, that's one of our favorites so I guess we'll put up with stinky feet in our view at times. ;)

JohnD

Same goes for the dangling feet in Soarin'. Oh wait, that's one of our favorites so I guess we'll put up with stinky feet in our view at times. ;)

And what do we do with Seven Dwarfs Mine Train? It's right in the middle of Fantasyland. Beast's Castle is one way. Cinderella's Castle is another. I can see people everywhere going to and fro. Heck, I can even spy Space Mountain. That's not supposed to be in Fantasyland. But I'm supposed to be riding in and around the Seven Dwarfs' mine. I guess the experience is ruined.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Behind The Seeds Tour is, in my opinion, what an 'upcharge' event should be.

Modestly priced, but just enough to keep people who really are interested in the tour. Not a place for fidgety kids.

Offers something of genuine value that builds on the theme of the base attraction hosted by someone who knows the subject and can answer questions.

Doesn't ruin the ride.

If this new 'experience' checks off all these boxes, then it is a win. Perhaps Behind The Seeds pricing would be more appropriate ($20, w/ 15% discount for passholders).

And it MUST not ruin the base safari experience. If it does that, then it is a FAIL, regardless of price...

Agree, The nominal charge limits the audience to those who are interested in the experience. The key word is NOMINAL CHARGE i.e. under 20 bucks.

RandySavage

^The KS experience isn't ruined by all the changes over the years. But it has been significantly diminished. One can even make an objective argument it is a less-authentic, lower-quality experience: ie. Today, at Point A (and B and C and D, etc.), I can now see a chain link fence or 'backstage' area/enclosure. In 1998, at those same points, no fences were visible, only natural looking rock and vegetation. Therefore, at these various Points, the KS today looks more like a traditional zoo and less like an Idealized Safari in East Africa than it once did. Period.

The Empress Lilly

^The KS experience isn't ruined by all the changes over the years. But it has been significantly diminished. One can even make an objective argument it is a less-authentic, lower-quality experience: ie. Today, at Point A (and B and C and D, etc.), I can now see a chain link fence or 'backstage' area/enclosure. In 1998, at those same points, no fences were visible, only natural looking rock and vegetation. Therefore, at these various Points, the KS today looks more like a traditional zoo and less like an Idealized Safari in East Africa than it once did. Period.
Funnily enough, if you were to post a glowing review of how and by which means Kili creates a beautiful, immersive experience, the peanut gallery would applaud the very mechanisms they ridicule as irrelevant once removed or diminished.

"Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you're immersed in."
- Joe Rohde

Lets Respect

Elephants are getting harder to find in zoos now due to activism and learning more about the needs of elephants

A lot of zoos are rehoming their elephants to sanctuaries

Perhaps Disney is capitalizing on this (kidding sort of)

GeneralZod

I just had to chime in and say that I found the remark by a previous poster that the people on the viewing decks at the safari ride looked like people living in a trailer park offensive. What? That remark was totally uncalled for. There are people who do actually live in all areas of this land, and trying to insinuate that those who live in trailer parks are somehow subpar is offensive to a lot of people. Just saying....................

cpfj58suwaer5dq.jpg

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You've always been able to see some fences and backstage areas if you look hard enough. Nothing new there.

Nostalgia is a dirty liar that insists things were better than they seemed. ;)

The real rescueranger

I really don't see what all of the fuss is over this one. Some of you guys seem to like to complain for the sake of complaining. This is actually a decent price point. My family will do it this summer as my daughter is a huge elephant fan. With our DVC discount it will be about $25. That is not too bad. If you don't want to do it, then don't. It's not like they are forcing everyone to pay an extra 30. They are not taking the elephants off of the safari and making this the only way to see them. Geez. When people complain about everything, when they do have a legitimate beef it just becomes noise.

rael ramone

I don't get where all this "seeing the tour ruins the ride" business is coming from. I see the Behind the Seeds people standing by a table as I'm riding LWTL all the time. Doesn't bother me. I see Wild Africa Trek in their jeep or tethered while looking at crocs or hippos while on the Safari. Doesn't bother me. This tour goes to see the elephants. So what?

For LWTL, it doesn't disturb the ride experience. It's an educational ride, so it kind of 'fits' that others are taking a tour learning.

For this new elephant experience, if it takes away from the 'Safari' feel of the ride, it weakens the ride. It needs to be set up so Safari guests don't notice it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For LWTL, it doesn't disturb the ride experience. It's an educational ride, so it kind of 'fits' that others are taking a tour learning.

For this new elephant experience, if it takes away from the 'Safari' feel of the ride, it weakens the ride. It needs to be set up so Safari guests don't notice it.
And I have to ask again. Do you honestly believe that when you go an actual African safari, that you are the only one on the planet that is there? Honestly? You will see other people, even in Africa.

ETA: And why don't you think the safari is an educational experience as well?

JohnD

So Living with the Land is "educational" but seeing live animals in simulated habitats isn't?

JohnD

And I have to ask again. Do you honestly believe that when you go an actual African safari, that you are the only one on the planet that is there? Honestly? You will see other people, even in Africa.

I've been on an actual live African safari. Queen Elizabeth National Park in western Uganda in 2008. I was on a mission trip with my church to visit our mission partner diocese in Kasese, Uganda. It was our "present" after working with the diocese on various projects at a school and hospital. We did two excursions, actually. One in a jeep and another in a boat. And I saw other people! Finished the day with a cold African amber beer.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I've been on an actual live African safari. Queen Elizabeth National Park in western Uganda in 2008. I was on a mission trip with my church to visit our mission partner diocese in Kasese, Uganda. It was our "present" after working with the diocese on various projects at a school and hospital. We did two excursions, actually. One in a jeep and another in a boat. And I saw other people! Finished the day with a cold African amber beer.
Guess it must have completely ruined the experience for you. How dare those people be there when you are. :cool:;):cautious:

rael ramone

LWTL is *primarily* an educational ride. The working educational greenhouse part of the ride isn't meant to represent anything except a working educational greenhouse.

The Safari ride is supposed to feel like you are on a safari trip in Africa. Whatever you see should, to the extent that regulations, guest safety and basic operations allow, feel like the real thing. If you see other people, it should feel like they belong there. It should suggest that they are in Africa with you too, not that they aren't (and if they aren't then you aren't either).

The very very best driver I've ever had on the ride spoke just like you hear on a nature documentary, hushed (yet quite audible and understandable) - and was quite informative to boot, which added immensely to the ride experience. Adding authenticity makes it better. Reducing it makes it less good.

No Name

I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't interfere with other guest's enjoyment. I just don't get it. Charge me extra... at the theme park capital of the world... for essentially the same thing that I can get at my local zoo?

I guess AK is Nahtazu. It's Anupchaargezu!

Maybe this will appeal to people who don't have elephants at their local zoo. I'll pass though.

Sounds interesting.

Also , How is this an "upcharge event" ?
It is a new tour.
#fartooquicktobecomplaining

Well, it's "upcharge" because it's not included in your regular admission. You don't have to call it an "upcharge event," but you can't deny that this is an upcharge attraction or experience. That's pure fact. You have to pay extra.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
LWTL is *primarily* an educational ride. The working educational greenhouse part of the ride isn't meant to represent anything except a working educational greenhouse.

The Safari ride is supposed to feel like you are on a safari trip in Africa. Whatever you see should, to the extent that regulations, guest safety and basic operations allow, feel like the real thing. If you see other people, it should feel like they belong there. It should suggest that they are in Africa with you too, not that they aren't (and if they aren't then you aren't either).

The very very best driver I've ever had on the ride spoke just like you hear on a nature documentary, hushed (yet quite audible and understandable) - and was quite informative to boot, which added immensely to the ride experience. Adding authenticity makes it better. Reducing it makes it less good.
And as @JohnD stated, while on an actual safari, you can and will see other people that aren't in your vehicle or a part of your group. Those other people you see are just like in a real safari in that they are there having a different experience. No difference between a real safari, and the Disney safari in that regard.

I completely agree that the driver narrative helps a lot, but seeing other people shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the ride one whit.

JohnD

And as @JohnD stated, while on an actual safari, you can and will see other people that aren't in your vehicle or a part of your group. Those other people you see are just like in a real safari in that they are there having a different experience. No difference between a real safari, and the Disney safari in that regard.

I completely agree that the driver narrative helps a lot, but seeing other people shouldn't affect your enjoyment of the ride one whit.

On a more serious note, I understand having theming makes the ride experience better but if you're be all and end all is to always focus on that rather than enjoy the attraction, you'll come away disappointed on every attraction you go on. In other words, you'll be so focused on where the theming fails, you'll always find it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm fine with it as long as it doesn't interfere with other guest's enjoyment. I just don't get it. Charge me extra... at the theme park capital of the world... for essentially the same thing that I can get at my local zoo?*

I guess AK is Nahtazu. It's Anupchaargezu!

Well, it's "upcharge" in the fact that it's not included in your regular admission. You don't have to call it an "upcharge event," but you can't deny that this is an uocharge attraction or experience. You have to pay extra.
Since Disney has had these kinds of events pretty much since opening day, why does it seem to bother you so much now? If you don't think it's worth it, well, fine, don't pay to use that service. If you think that AK is just like your local zoo, then don't go there. And yes, I can say that. Why would anyone in their right mind go someplace that they have issues with? Beyond me. :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom