New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

dadddio

You suggest that they could solve their problem by waiting in a standby line for Space Mountain. The same type of standby line they could wait in for BoG but no longer can. So you defend Disneys decision to remove BoG standby and when problems arise from it your solution is to wait in another standby line. Nice.
Actually, my 'solution' was far more nuanced than that. It was:
  1. Ask if you can have a return time that doesn't interfere with your FP+.
  2. Try to change your FP+ time.
  3. Eat somewhere else.
For those who cannot resolve the conflict through options one and two, then they could choose to eat at BoG and wait SB for SM. That being said, I bet that this would be a very rare happening, in practice since the return times would have to align perfectly for you to not be able to squeeze in a SM FP immediately before or immediately after BoG.

Last edited:

dadddio

Seriously? Pick a popular Disney movie, create the atmosphere of the time period in which said movie takes place, build a super cool entrance as a "weenie" to draw people in, have decent food that isnt available everywhere else park-wide, and let the O-town bloggers and mommy brigade hype it up.

Lets use Winnie the Pooh and friends as an example. Design a restaurant themed like the hundred acre woods and you enter through a big door in a tree. Create an environment with Owel and Piglets house. Have Poohs thoughtful spot and a little black rain cloud area with thunder effects. Make the food unique and have some type of cool effect or item ala the rose in BoG or the lifesize music box and your done. Im just spit balling but Im sure people would line up for it. I would.
That list of quick and easy things that they would need to do is full of slow and expensive steps.

dadddio

Oh that does not seem like a simpler vacation like Disney promised DME would make guests vacations. Just keeps becoming more convoluted. All the jockeying around isn't quick or great service.

Can you imagine if anyone else pulled this? Go to McD's and they give you a time you can come back into their fast food establishment? Or put out a sign, we are at capacity for today. -Thank you.-
That argument has been rolled out earlier in the thread. It wasn't apt then, and it isn't now.

This isn't Chicago.

dadddio

The current problem with most of the quick serve locations is the food tastes and looks like food served in a high school cafeteria and yet it is twice as expensive as cafeteria prices. Going to BOG on the other hand, you get a unique menu with food that looks just as good as it tastes for nearly the same price as the other quick serve locations. Personally, I'd be ok with not having the atmosphere of BOG and going to another quick serve location if the food didn't taste and look like cardboard.
You might check out the 'Best QS in MK' threads. There's loads of good food to be found outside of BoG.

dadddio

Which is absolutely stupid. They have a system set up, they have an app. Why not, if you absolutely must do this for BOG, scan a Magic band and then it will automatically show up on the app that you have a reserved lunch seating at said time and then send a push notification 15-20 minutes out from your seating. I just don't see why something like that isn't currently being done.
Probably because lots of people don't use the app. Either way, it doesn't change my point that MBs don't get notifications.

(It should be noted that I think push notifications via the app is a great idea.)

dupac

Maybe they have purposely advertised capacity as smaller than it actually is, forcing people to eat elsewhere and relieving the stress on BOG...

Just a thought...

jaklgreen

You might check out the 'Best QS in MK' threads. There's loads of good food to be found outside of BoG.

I don't agree. With the exception of the grilled salmon at Columbia Harbour House and the roasted chicken at Cosmic Rays, the rest of the food is typical fast food stuff, burgers, dogs, tacos, pizza,, etc. At BOG there is actual home cooking type of food like I would make for my family. And it is nice to eat some normal food on vacation(in a counter service setting) instead of the typical theme park standards. We do not want to spend most of our time at sit down restaurants but also do not want us or our kids to eat junk all vacation so BOG is a perfect menu for us. Too bad they do not have more of these types of restaurants around WDW.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Actually, my 'solution' was far more nuanced than that. It was:
  1. Ask if you can have a return time that doesn't interfere with your FP+.
  2. Try to change your FP+ time.
  3. Eat somewhere else.
For those who cannot resolve the conflict through options one and two, then they could choose to eat at BoG and wait SB for SM. That being said, I bet that this would be a very rare happening, in practice since the return times would have to align perfectly for you to not be able to squeeze in a SM FP immediately before or immediately after BoG.

Lets review these:
  1. Ask if you can have a return time that doesn't interfere with your FP+. -problem: you need to be there before 10 am to have a chance at choosing from different times. Get there by 11 and there most likely gone.
  2. Try to change your FP+ time. -problem: If you have planned your day out from start to finish, which Disney encourages, this could be a real disaster and/or force you to do more planning last minute. Not something most people want to do on vacation and its not something a Disney first timer or novice would be good at.
  3. Eat somewhere else. - problem: only options would be QS like Pecos, Harbour, Caseys, or Cosmic which dont have anything similar on their menu as BoG. If a family had spent time planning their day at MK, they were most likely excited about trying BoG and settling for burgers and fries would stink. LEt me remind you again, Disney encourages the planning. When the family watched the planning videos they got inundated with the planing aspect and how it makes everything magical. So they go ahead and plan every last detail as Disney suggests and decide that waiting in line to get in BoG will be fine, only to find out that the planning DVD or the Disney website failed to mention you need a return time and must be the before 10 am to get a decent one. HAving to go eat at a different QS is not the end of the world, but its not the experience they planned for.
The easiest thing would to be just have a standby line. At least the family would have the ability to get in. Not get shut out because Disney never made them aware of the system. All three of your options arent bad ideas, but theyre not something that first time visitor or a non-Disney expert would be able to do without frustration. People on this board are mostly experts and its easy for us to whip out the phone and know exactly what to do or where to go. The novices would be lost and confused.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That list of quick and easy things that they would need to do is full of slow and expensive steps.
Man, Disney has really acclimated you to accept that as the norm. That is the way Disney CHOOSES to do it, its not the only way. Uni just built an entire Harry Potter world with D and E ticket style attractions and well themed restaurants, (thats plural as in more than one) and they did it in almost less time than it took Disney to build a kiddie mine train. Im not making the Uni vs Disney argument, just showing that it can be done. Heck, Disney built EPCOT, the ENTIRE park in less time than it took them to build FLE, and that was DECADES ago, so we know Disney can do it also, they just dont want to spend the money.

It would take Disney 3 years to build it because they MUST spread out the cost because they have been put in "time out" by the BoD for spending billions on MM+ and the profit that Iger and Rasullo PROMISED is still nowhere to be found. If they had planned it better and built more attractions and dining spots to handle capacity better, MM+ would probly look better and just might be making them more money when people rave about how they had a great time, not complain about being handed a piece of paper to return in three hours.

dadddio

I don't agree. With the exception of the grilled salmon at Columbia Harbour House and the roasted chicken at Cosmic Rays, the rest of the food is typical fast food stuff, burgers, dogs, tacos, pizza,, etc. At BOG there is actual home cooking type of food like I would make for my family. And it is nice to eat some normal food on vacation(in a counter service setting) instead of the typical theme park standards. We do not want to spend most of our time at sit down restaurants but also do not want us or our kids to eat junk all vacation so BOG is a perfect menu for us. Too bad they do not have more of these types of restaurants around WDW.
It's OK that you disagree with the food options that other people claim to enjoy. Still loads of people obviously enjoy these other alternatives.

dadddio

Lets review these:
  1. Ask if you can have a return time that doesn't interfere with your FP+. -problem: you need to be there before 10 am to have a chance at choosing from different times. Get there by 11 and there most likely gone.
  2. Try to change your FP+ time. -problem: If you have planned your day out from start to finish, which Disney encourages, this could be a real disaster and/or force you to do more planning last minute. Not something most people want to do on vacation and its not something a Disney first timer or novice would be good at.
  3. Eat somewhere else. - problem: only options would be QS like Pecos, Harbour, Caseys, or Cosmic which dont have anything similar on their menu as BoG. If a family had spent time planning their day at MK, they were most likely excited about trying BoG and settling for burgers and fries would stink. LEt me remind you again, Disney encourages the planning. When the family watched the planning videos they got inundated with the planing aspect and how it makes everything magical. So they go ahead and plan every last detail as Disney suggests and decide that waiting in line to get in BoG will be fine, only to find out that the planning DVD or the Disney website failed to mention you need a return time and must be the before 10 am to get a decent one. HAving to go eat at a different QS is not the end of the world, but its not the experience they planned for.
The easiest thing would to be just have a standby line. At least the family would have the ability to get in. Not get shut out because Disney never made them aware of the system. All three of your options arent bad ideas, but theyre not something that first time visitor or a non-Disney expert would be able to do without frustration. People on this board are mostly experts and its easy for us to whip out the phone and know exactly what to do or where to go. The novices would be lost and confused.
Novices could still use the options that I gave above.

It should be again noted that there's not too big of a chance that they won't be able to work their FP+ time with a 'fast food' lunch. The FP+ return window is an hour long, after all (100 minutes in practice).

prberk

It is simple.

Want a different time? Ask the CM. See what he can do for you.
If you can't change your BoG time and aren't willing to eat somewhere else, changing your FP+ selection is your only option. Ride SM at a different time, either using FP or via the SB line.

And then you are not hungry when your dinner reservations come up in two-three hours (which would have been four or five hours from your first attempt at BoG) at the character dinner that you have reserved down the street (or in another park), for which you have been required to make a CREDIT CARD GUARANTEE.

Ahh, the "magic" of FP+ and ADRs at WDW, with smartphones. I remember a time when visiting Walt Disney World meant a perception of leaving your real world behind. Didn't Walt buy a lot of land to keep the pressures of "real world" from encroaching upon his vacation kingdom?

stevehousse

It should be again noted that there's not too big of a chance that they won't be able to work their FP+ time with a 'fast food' lunch. The FP+ return window is an hour long, after all (100 minutes in practice).
The way u defend this system, I'm gonna say it again, u sound like u work for Disney...lol

Don't u get ur the only one that keeps saying this system is ok when there r now 38 pages of people who don't agree with u?

Sounds like u came up with the system and trying to convince everyone it's good! It's laughable...

CDavid

I really don't mean to keep beating you over the head saying this, but all of the options you have given are solutions to artificially created problems which shouldn't exist in the first place. The whole mistaken concept of 'return times' has, again, created more problems than it purports to solve, most of which would immediately go away if this debacle were replaced by a standard queue line. The only problem then remaining, potential guest complaints over an excessive wait, has better solutions. Ironically, perhaps, the wait time issue would be alleviated - if not solved altogether - by simply removing FP+ at Be Our Guest (it's a silly idea to begin with for a fast-food restaurant).

BrianV

Don't waste your time. This is like arguing religion or politics--you cannot use logic as much as you may try. Just agree to be wrong to make them happy and move on.

Hopefully the moderator will close this thoroughly beaten to death topic.

dadddio

I really don't mean to keep beating you over the head saying this, but all of the options you have given are solutions to artificially created problems which shouldn't exist in the first place. The whole mistaken concept of 'return times' has, again, created more problems than it purports to solve, most of which would immediately go away if this debacle were replaced by a standard queue line. The only problem then remaining, potential guest complaints over an excessive wait, has better solutions. Ironically, perhaps, the wait time issue would be alleviated - if not solved altogether - by simply removing FP+ at Be Our Guest (it's a silly idea to begin with for a fast-food restaurant).
I think that there are two views to this. For those people who were satisfied waiting in the line, this is a 'bad' solution. For those that missed out of the restaurant because they didn't wish to wait in the long line, for whatever reason, this might be a good solution. Certainly, there are many that like the new system. There are also several denizens of the wdwmagic forums that are strongly against it.

dadddio

The way u defend this system, I'm gonna say it again, u sound like u work for Disney...lol

Don't u get ur the only one that keeps saying this system is ok when there r now 38 pages of people who don't agree with u?

Sounds like u came up with the system and trying to convince everyone it's good! It's laughable...
Loads of people favor this process for BoG. The mere fact that this thread is dominated by those who do not does not change this.

(That being said, what in the world is wrong with working for Disney? You throw that out like an accusation when lots of people actually aspire to work for the company.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom