New Be Our Guest lunch line procedure (Test?)

Tigger1988

It also does not mean they are ill equipped. BOG is going through the same thing, does that mean they are ill equipped?
What? Are we not speaking of BOG?

Also it seems a fair amount of guests were not enjoying themselves if guest services got such a high volume of complaints.

flynnibus

Premium Member
A line for a fast food joint is so long that ice water and umbrellas need to be given to keep guests from getting drenched, sun burnt and/or dehydrated. Yeah, no issues there at all...

The only real solution to long lines like that is simply to add more capacity to match demand. Which Disney could... oh wait.

You're mistaking people's willingness to sacrifice for something to mean 'its broke'. Sometimes it's just people are willing to sacrifice for the payoff!

Going to the grocery store and waiting 30mins because there is only one cashier = broke
Going to a restaurant that is running at full capacity and waiting 30mins means demand outpaces supply = doesn't mean its broke.

Not everything can simply be scaled to keep matching demand. Sometimes its about the type of work.. sometimes it's about the product, the ambiance, etc. In those cases what you do is open up more locations to absorb the demand instead of changing your product. Which Disney could do.. oh wait. They keep shuttering food locations.

stevehousse

A line for a fast food joint is so long that ice water and umbrellas need to be given to keep guests from getting drenched, sun burnt and/or dehydrated. Yeah, no issues there at all...

And yeah, I'm sure they all ran to their friends to say "They had to hand out umbrellas because the line for the quick service restaurant was so long!" I mean, who WOULDN'T want to experience that? That isn't good customer service, it's an ill equipped dining area.
Like several of us have stated previously, waiting in long lines for quick service places that are uber popular in our hometowns is quite the norm and this is the exact same! If people r willing to wait then let them. It's nice to offer water and umbrellas. Lots of these super popular quick service places here in Chicago do the same!

If u owned your own business quick service restaurant that was small and had limited capacity, would u yourself go the route that wdw has with bog and offer return time tickets? People would laugh and not come back. Offering water and umbrellas to those willing to wait is friendly customer service, and making sure your guest is enjoying themselves even when they r stuck in a long line is what truely matters. Besides cutting off patrons from waiting to eat is basically pouring money down the drain because you won't have guests return and no profits equal u will soon have to close ur doors!

jencor

What? Are we not speaking of BOG?

I know someone brought up that a restaurant in Atlanta brought stuff out for their waiting crowds and thought you had mentioned that it shows they were ill prepared. My fault that your response was on something else, but I think it still shows that they are still willing to do it. I think Supply and demand still works here. I have the choice if I feel that the demand (long line) is more then I want to do, but someone else may find that their once in every few years of visiting is worth the wait. They lose that opportunity when tickets are gone by 10 and they did not even get the chance. Oh well, they may be back in 5 years and will try again.

BrianV

Like several of us have stated previously, waiting in long lines for quick service places that are uber popular in our hometowns is quite the norm and this is the exact same! If people r willing to wait then let them. It's nice to offer water and umbrellas. Lots of these super popular quick service places here in Chicago do the same!

If u owned your own business quick service restaurant that was small and had limited capacity, would u yourself go the route that wdw has with bog and offer return time tickets? People would laugh and not come back. Offering water and umbrellas to those willing to wait is friendly customer service, and making sure your guest is enjoying themselves even when they r stuck in a long line is what truely matters. Besides cutting off patrons from waiting to eat is basically pouring money down the drain because you won't have guests return and no profits equal u will soon have to close ur doors!
If people laugh and don't come back, they will adapt I'm sure. I think pondering whether BOG will run out of guests and be forced to close is the least of their concerns.

hannahs21

The fact that they need to provide ice water and umbrellas is proof there's an issue. And you're just as much as anyone who went to GS. Congrats!

Just saying, Tutto Italia, Liberty Tree Tavern, The Crystal Palace, Sci-Fi Dine In, and Whispering Canyon Cafe all had ice water available for guests waiting to dine when we were there. It was great! And what's wrong with providing umbrellas for shade? How is that any different than sitting outside under an awning at The Crystal Palace, or waiting under the shade of the trees outside the Sci-Fi Dine In?
Like someone else already mentioned, I think that providing ice water and umbrellas equals good customer service. It was 93 degrees the day we were there, people get hot. Seeing ice water and shade anywhere is a good thing.
Do you know what's not good customer service?
Turning away hungry guests at 11:30 AM, shoving them a piece of paper, and telling them to come back two and a half hours later at 2 PM.
Not telling guests about this system until they've walked all the way back to BOG in the 93 degree heat and heavy crowds.
Having CMs turning people away when they run out of tickets at noon.
Coming back two and a half hours later to a huge crowd of upset people outside the entrance who don't get to dine there, because they didn't know they had to race to BOG at 10 AM just to get a ticket to be told when to eat.
Finally getting inside to eat, and seeing that the place is filthy, the drink machines are out of syrup, and your food is cold by the time it arrives at your table.
My experience was very negative. I have dined there before during lunch, and I've never had a negative experience until this. I'm only one person, but I did not like this system. I respect your opinion, I'm just sharing my thoughts and the experience I had.
I personally think a waiting area inside the castle should be designed somehow, although I wouldn't mind at all if I had to stand outside to wait my turn.

stevehousse

If people laugh and don't come back, they will adapt I'm sure. I think pondering whether BOG will run out of guests and be forced to close is the least of their concerns.
U totally did not get it. I know BOG would never close. Im talking about if u ran a fast food type restaurant in the real world and tried to utilize this system , it would be an utter failure. Just like it doesn't work in the park...

dadddio

It makes no difference if QS restaurants don't normally need such a process. QS restaurants normally don't have people queued up for an hour in the hot sun to get in, but this one does. Given that, some out of the box thinking is necessary to provide better service than people normally receive.
Not sure of where u live, but here in Chicago there are several extremely popular quick service restaurants and bakeries where people do que up and wait ovet an hour or more to get in and eat!

It is very realistic and to say people dont want to wait in line to get in isn't right. There wouldn't be a line to begin with if no one wanted to dine there. I understand that they were trying something new to see if they could help the line at all, but the way they did it just doesn't work for anyone, especially a hungry guest!

U betcha people here in Chicago would raise hell if u told them they had to swing by their favorite uber popular restaurant in the morning to get a ticket allowing them to have to come back 2,3,4 hours later to finally dine and u could absolutely positively not be allowed to wait in any line whatsoever to even attempt to get in. Could u imagine if ur local McDonald's tried that on u?!?

it's just an absurd concept! A fast pass ticket might work well for rides, but not for food in any way shape or form. And to not let people wait it out is even more bizarre...

It's just insane to keep going back and forth on this issue when everyone here but u seems to understand that this isn't good for anyone!
First, you keep arguing against a position that I didn't take. I never said that no people are willing to wait in line in the hot sun.

Second, this is a theme park, not Chicago.

RayTheFirefly

First, you keep arguing against a position that I didn't take. I never said that no people are willing to wait in line in the hot sun.

Second, this is a theme park, not Chicago.
Waiting 30 minutes in the sun (when you're on vacation in Florida of all places) is hardly like being waterboarded.

Bottom line, they should make it reservation only for lunch and dinner, or keep it like a normal QS for lunch. This "test" is ridiculous. And I realize there's no convincing you, and you love it, but it's really just not good.

landauh

Many have stated that a major failure was not informing guests of the test procedures. Just curious but how would you inform the guests of the test procedures? I would think signs at the entrances and/or City Hall? But most guests do not read signs. Any ideas?

dadddio

Waiting 30 minutes in the sun (when you're on vacation in Florida of all places) is hardly like being waterboarded.

Bottom line, they should make it reservation only for lunch and dinner, or keep it like a normal QS for lunch. This "test" is ridiculous. And I realize there's no convincing you, and you love it, but it's really just not good.
Honestly, I neither love or hate the test, but I am glad that they see the long line as a problem and are trying to do something about it. That being said, I think that the worst things about the test would be resolved if they simply folded the process into MDE.

If a guest hadn't obtained a FP+ for BoG, he could simply check the app to see if there was availablity. If there is an opening that works for him, he can grab it. If there isn't, he can eat somewhere else. Easy Peasey.

jencor

Many have stated that a major failure was not informing guests of the test procedures. Just curious but how would you inform the guests of the test procedures? I would think signs at the entrances and/or City Hall? But most guests do not read signs. Any ideas?

First, anything would be more then what they did. I imagine with a lot of people hooked into their smart phones now to visit and signs and maybe even an announcement. There are different places that that may be done. Busses, monorail, at front gate. Signs by the restaurant would at least let people know something before they started lining up. Last I looked, they even have a website. Also they could start warning people that they are going to be doing a test on such dates and what you can expect, instead they just did it. Didn't they do fp+ by telling people in emails (at least those coming to stay at their parks). Instead they just sprung it out there. Also one question I have not heard answered is if this test is still going on? If so this is becoming a long test.

JediMasterMatt

The only real solution to long lines like that is simply to add more capacity to match demand. Which Disney could... oh wait.

You're mistaking people's willingness to sacrifice for something to mean 'its broke'. Sometimes it's just people are willing to sacrifice for the payoff!

Going to the grocery store and waiting 30mins because there is only one cashier = broke
Going to a restaurant that is running at full capacity and waiting 30mins means demand outpaces supply = doesn't mean its broke.

Not everything can simply be scaled to keep matching demand. Sometimes its about the type of work.. sometimes it's about the product, the ambiance, etc. In those cases what you do is open up more locations to absorb the demand instead of changing your product. Which Disney could do.. oh wait. They keep shuttering food locations.

I know that I get on my soapbox quite frequently about how MM+ and FP+ are doomed to ultimately fail in their efforts to artificially add capacity to the resort; but, this whole BOG is it a FP, is it a ADR, is it a queue is another microcosm of the underlying issue WDW is faced with. Demand is astronomically out of proportion with the supply the resort can offer in the parks. Capacity is crippled at the resort due to years of apathy by TDO. Attendance continues to rise and overall throughput has not increased at the same curve. This is the form of rides and attractions as well as services like dining as well.

BOG is a perfect example. It's NEW which is a large part of the problem as guests to the resorts are dying to do something new. It's well done (at least the Beast's room and the entrance area is, the ballroom and the other aren't up to the same standard), and guests like experiences that remind them of what DisneyParks use to be able to do.

The solution to the BOG situation is simple; but, would do the one thing that TDO doesn't want to do - reinvest. As Flynn mentions, they parks have tons of shuttered (or seasonal) locations that could get the "plussing" of the non-FP kind that use to the hallmark of Disney quality. Any location could be given the same attention to detail that BOG contains and by doing so, eliminate the bottleneck that currently exists with Fantasyland's favorite counter service/table service restaurant.

The sad thing is that other than the cast members that have to deal with the disgruntled guest whom can't get into Beast's buffet, the rest of TDO could care less of what takes place inside the mini-castle's walls. Since the restaurant is already running at full capacity from open to close, why should they? They know that people have already paid admission, are potentially staying onsite, and will still need to find something to eat elsewhere. They've got your money. Keeping a queue of expecting people out front is simply delaying them from a spend at one of the other "fine quality" offerings in the MK. <force wave> Move along, this isn't the restaurant you are looking for. </force wave>

Unfortunately, BOG's popularity problems won't go away until something else opens up that guest deem worthy of waiting in line for. Just like Soarin', a FP to Imagination in its current incarnation isn't going to fill the plate.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The fact that they need to provide ice water and umbrellas is proof there's an issue. And you're just as much as anyone who went to GS. Congrats!

Wow, really? It was raining, not sprinkling, that summer Florida rain. Some folks had planned and brought umbrellas and others didn't, so the restaurant was kind enough to provide them umbrellas while they waited, for about 15 minutes, so they wouldn't get wet.

Your comments are harsh, to say the least.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

And yeah, I'm sure they all ran to their friends to say "They had to hand out umbrellas because the line for the quick service restaurant was so long!" I mean, who WOULDN'T want to experience that? That isn't good customer service, it's an ill equipped dining area.

No, Tiger it was (1) raining one day and (2) hot the other. BOG was actually providing good customer service. And I was in line both times and my wait didn't exceed 20 minutes. If the bridge to the front door was covered, it wouldn't be an issue.

BrianV

U totally did not get it. I know BOG would never close. Im talking about if u ran a fast food type restaurant in the real world and tried to utilize this system , it would be an utter failure. Just like it doesn't work in the park...

Respectfully, I think trying to compare a stand alone fast food restaurant to a themed dining experience inside magic kingdom is the failure. They are different, have different levels of demand, and need different solutions to solve their problems. People do not tend to hang out in the same area for fast food, but will no doubt still be in the magic kingdom due to the fact that they plan to spend the day in the same general area.

However, to your point, if a stand alone fast food restaurant had so much business that required return passes, I think they would be unlikely to close if the instituted a return pass system. I do not thnk people would laugh and not come back. But if they did and demand dropped off, they would no longer need a return pass system and then It would be self correcting. The issue at this theoretical fast food place is demand > supply, solved by lowering demand or increasing supply. Supply at most restraunts is fixed. Only demand is variable.

So yes, I totally do get it, but do not agree. They are not the same thing.

stevehousse

Respectfully, I think trying to compare a stand alone fast food restaurant to a themed dining experience inside magic kingdom is the failure. They are different, have different levels of demand, and need different solutions to solve their problems. People do not tend to hang out in the same area for fast food, but will no doubt still be in the magic kingdom due to the fact that they plan to spend the day in the same general area.

However, to your point, if a stand alone fast food restaurant had so much business that required return passes, I think they would be unlikely to close if the instituted a return pass system. I do not thnk people would laugh and not come back. But if they did and demand dropped off, they would no longer need a return pass system and then It would be self correcting. The issue at this theoretical fast food place is demand > supply, solved by lowering demand or increasing supply. Supply at most restraunts is fixed. Only demand is variable.

So yes, I totally do get it, but do not agree. They are not the same thing.
Fast food is fast food whether your in New York or Magic Kingdom...people r still willing to wait regardless...coming from a customer service stand point, I just don't see how this policy is customer friendly in the slightest. And what's worse like others have stated, is that no one knows about this new procedure until they try to get in and r told either no way or to come back in 2-3 hours!

If they just made it ADR only for both lunch and dinner this wouldn't be a problem. People r understanding when u need a reservation to get in and are told either no or the wait is an hour.

Could u imagine going to McDonalds and they tell u to come back in 2-3 hours later to get ur sandwhich and fries? You wouldn't hear of it! O wait, I'm sorry McDonald's doesn't compare to BOG. Let's change that to Panera, since they have "gourmet" sandwiches like BOG does...lol

BrianV

Fast food is fast food whether your in New York or Magic Kingdom...people r still willing to wait regardless...coming from a customer service stand point, I just don't see how this policy is customer friendly in the slightest. And what's worse like others have stated, is that no one knows about this new procedure until they try to get in and r told either no way or to come back in 2-3 hours!

If they just made it ADR only for both lunch and dinner this wouldn't be a problem. People r understanding when u need a reservation to get in and are told either no or the wait is an hour.

Could u imagine going to McDonalds and they tell u to come back in 2-3 hours later to get ur sandwhich and fries? You wouldn't hear of it! O wait, I'm sorry McDonald's doesn't compare to BOG. Let's change that to Panera, since they have "gourmet" sandwiches like BOG does...lol

Could you imagine waiting an hour in line for mcdonalds? Or panera? The fact that people were willing to do so indicates that this is different or at least perceived at different. Agree or do we disagree here?

In answer to your comment, this is customer friendly for those who don't want to wait in line. And not for those who would prefer to do so. I have a really hard time but I can see the latter if I imagine that someone might really wait one whole hours in line for food even when time is the most scare resource one has on a vacation. Why can't you see the former? You spend 1 day (10 hours) in the magic kingdom, and you spend 1+ waiting in line for a single meal?

stevehousse

Could you imagine waiting an hour in line for mcdonalds? Or panera? The fact that people were willing to do so indicates that this is different or at least perceived at different. Agree or do we disagree here?

In answer to your comment, this is customer friendly for those who don't want to wait in line. And not for those who would prefer to do so. I have a really hard time but I can see the latter if I imagine that someone might really wait one whole hours in line for food even when time is the most scare resource one has on a vacation. Why can't you see the former? You spend 1 day (10 hours) in the magic kingdom, and you spend 1+ waiting in line for a single meal?
You mean just like how so many people will wait in an hour line for a 2 minute ride...people will wait for whatver they feel like waiting for as long as it's worth it to them. What I am complaining about is shutting guests out of an experience that most people would be willing to wait for. Wether it's for a meet n greet or a ride or a restaurant, people should be allowed to wait if the want. And what is worse if the cms telling groups of 2 that they can't be accommodated, and then the cm goes behind their back a gives a family of 4 a return ticket instead! Now that is just a$$ backwards and is not being customer friendly in the slightest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom