New atmosphere entertainment being tested at DinoLand U.S.A.

aka_emilicious

I dunno', that projection show is good, but it really only seems like PART of a show to me. I think they need to redo the nighttime shows to be a mix of the pyro of Wishes and the projections of MMY. The obvious issue with that is that they LOVE to run the projection show because it's so cheap to operate, but... I dunno'. I just doesn't do it for me on its own.
Not to mention, a complex, textured castle in the middle of the world's most popular theme park is much harder to project onto convincingly than something smoother and away from so much light polution.
I know not everyone enjoys it, so that's why I said "most". I agree it's VERY difficult to project on to such a textured structure.

I was more trying to point out that the test may be similar to the final product, but it can look pretty different in the end.

articos

Yeah, Barney's at Universal. Wasn't there talk of him going away (thankfully and finally) for something new there, at some point?l
If you have any need to see Barney, I'd get there sooner rather than later.

As this is a test, it might end up something spectacular in the end. It's quite possible they rigged up a temporary setup to gauge mobility and interaction.
Sadly not the case. Not saying it may not be improved based on the current product, but this is not that type of test.

Kman101

They own the Muppets and Bear in the Big Blue House. I believe they also own Dinosaurs. They do not own Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Storyteller, or any of the films (Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, etc.), unless I'm mistaken.

Thanks. I figured it was just the Muppets and I completely forgot about Bear in the Big Blue House. Wish they'd do something with Dinosaurs ... lol

Matt_Black

Thanks. I figured it was just the Muppets and I completely forgot about Bear in the Big Blue House. Wish they'd do something with Dinosaurs ... lol

I just wish they'd reach some kind of agreement with the Children's Television Workshop so the next Muppet film can have a proper Sesame Street cameo. In the 2011 Muppet film, wouldn't it have been awesome to see Oscar the Grouch hanging out with Hobo Joe?

MickeyPeace

I think this project is wonderful. The dino is darling and the handler is very witty and entertaining. I love how the puppeteer becomes one with the costume. He really infuses the character with more life and personality. And the handler really adds to the experience. She really makes me believe that she raised the dino because of all of the knowledge that she is sharing as she walks and walks.
As for safety, Disney no one does it like you. I am glad that they spared no expense in hiring 3 people just to walk behind it ensuring that no children get injured during this state of the art performance. It's better to see money spent on CMs walking rather than entertaining. Safety first!
And if this is a test for future attractions that are even more brilliant than this, then I say thank you TDO, thank you for bestowing upon us humble people the privilege of getting to witness and enjoy this awe inspiring process of creation and imagineering!
For those complaining about entertainment being cut and budgets being slashed, bet you're embarrassed now. Now excuse me, the Dino land dance party is beginning and I live to dance! Weeeeeeeeeeee.

SoupBone

I think this project is wonderful. The dino is darling and the handler is very witty and entertaining. I love how the puppeteer becomes one with the costume. He really infuses the character with more life and personality. And the handler really adds to the experience. She really makes me believe that she raised the dino because of all of the knowledge that she is sharing as she walks and walks.
As for safety, Disney no one does it like you. I am glad that they spared no expense in hiring 3 people just to walk behind it ensuring that no children get injured during this state of the art performance. It's better to see money spent on CMs walking rather than entertaining. Safety first!
And if this is a test for future attractions that are even more brilliant than this, then I say thank you TDO, thank you for bestowing upon us humble people the privilege of getting to witness and enjoy this awe inspiring process of creation and imagineering!
For those complaining about entertainment being cut and budgets being slashed, bet you're embarrassed now. Now excuse me, the Dino land dance party is beginning and I live to dance! Weeeeeeeeeeee.

Bwahahaha, I love the smell of sarcasm in the morning.

Matt_Black

Fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-not-sure-if-sarcasm-or-serious-e14739.jpg

Soarin' Over Pgh

I'd go all kinds of fangirl (fangrrrl?) if characters from the Dark Crystal were incorporated into the park.

Edit for clarification:

Any park, any where, really. You could incorporate it into DAK. Hell, they're stretching to bring Avatar of all things to that park, so why not some of Hensen's other fantastical creations? What a wonderful batch of characters and themes they have to work with and instead, they dump Chesters n Hesters on us.

Hey whats that smell...

Last edited:

Sped2424

Disney does not own the Jim Henson Company.
I thought they bought them out? Or is it just the muppets? Just the muppets after a quick google search, ya learn something every day! Either way for a company that does have close ties to the muppets it is still sad.

Cmdr_Crimson

Correct. I believe they wanted to buy the entire Jim Henson Company outright, but there were issues of some kind.

If they did buyout the entire company Disney would technically be in a few other parks as the Sesame Street Characters are in the Busch Parks and Universal Parks (Overseas).

DisneyGentleman

Correct. I believe they wanted to buy the entire Jim Henson Company outright, but there were issues of some kind.
Be glad they did not buy them outright, or we's be seeing some really embarrassing dance parties.

Think about it - TDO hires a dance party group and dresses them in the style de jour.

One could only cringe at a "Dark Crystal Dance Party". Heck, I wonder when we will see an "Abe Lincoln Dance Party". The tacky possibilities are sadly endless.

It's a whole knew meaning to "if you can imagine it, they will do it".

Soarin' Over Pgh

Be glad they did not buy them outright, or we's be seeing some really embarrassing dance parties.

Think about it - TDO hires a dance party group and dresses them in the style de jour.

One could only cringe at a "Dark Crystal Dance Party". Heck, I wonder when we will see an "Abe Lincoln Dance Party". The tacky possibilities are sadly endless.

It's a whole knew meaning to "if you can imagine it, they will do it".

Thanks for whacking me back to reality. :\ You're right, the only Dark Crystal anything to come into the parks (I know it will never happen, but work with me here) would be some stupid dance party or meet n greet. Neither of us, as a grown adult, I can be the least bit interested in.

I didn't realize they didn't have the rights to this but I'm OK with it.

DisneyGentleman

Thanks for whacking me back to reality. :\ You're right, the only Dark Crystal anything to come into the parks (I know it will never happen, but work with me here) would be some stupid dance party or meet n greet. Neither of us, as a grown adult, I can be the least bit interested in.
Let's see if we can out-dumb TDO.

What concept for a dance party is so outrageous that they wouldn't try it? What is too far for them to consider?

Like, ummmm, The Wolf of Wall Street Dance Party?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom