New American Heartland Theme Park in Oklahoma

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Huh? It’s basically a modern day magic kingdom. Sounds like Main Street, New Orleans square, Frontierland, Liberty Square and Tomorrowland to me.

It looks pretty cool if done well!
It's the celebration of the US as a theme that bothers me.

Really, the celebration of any one country - even within its own borders - is bothersome to me.

DisneyCane

People travel to the middle of Tennessee to go to Dollywood. Build a high quality location and give value to the guest and people will come. Something that Disney hasn't done for quite a while now.
Tennessee has other attractions like mountains and Nashville. I've been to Oklahoma for football games and it was nice for that but there's no reason to go there otherwise. FL was a vacation destination before WDW which, along with a climate that allowed year round operation, is why Walt chose it. Stallone doesn't even want to go back to OK to film the next season of Tulsa King.

CaptainMickey

Original Poster
Huh? It’s basically a modern day magic kingdom. Sounds like Main Street, New Orleans square, Frontierland, Liberty Square and Tomorrowland to me.

It looks pretty cool if done well!
That actually sounds fun.
If they do 3 things, I might give Oklahoma a try:
1. It has a food and wine festival, I'll settle for beer and BBQ festival
2. I don't have to make a Park reservation
3. I don't have to download Genie plus to plan my day and pay extra to ride everything

el_super

It’s a pretty classic theme for a theme park.

Disneyland in 2023 is different from Disneyland in 1955 for a reason though.

To really succeed they have to offer something that you can't really get anywhere else. To follow along with the premise of DCA, why would you want to go to an artificial recreation of X, when you could just go see the real thing?

Maybe getting Crab or Lobster rolls in the middle of Oklahoma would be a neat departure from the norm, but enough to justify a theme park ticket?

TrainsOfDisney

Disneyland in 2023 is different from Disneyland in 1955 for a reason though.
Yes and no. One of the reasons I love Disneyland so much is how little it’s changed.
To really succeed they have to offer something that you can't really get anywhere else. To follow along with the premise of DCA, why would you want to go to an artificial recreation of X, when you could just go see the real thing?
Properly done, a theme park presents a storybook version of the real thing. “The Hollywood that never was and always will be” mentality. DCA worked best when it followed that mentality.

I love visiting historical parks like the Henry Ford, so this really seems like something I would enjoy if it’s not just a coaster park.

TrainsOfDisney

I was trying to keep my reason as vague and apolitical as possible, because the full detail is quite personal and involves colonialism and racism.
So how do you feel about Main Street USA, Liberty Square, Frontierland, American Adventure, etc.

Do you enjoy the Voices of Liberty?

Disneyhead'71

I think a theme park alone in that location would not be successful but teaming it up with a indoor waterpark resort and a RV Resort and campground could work. Especially if the RV Resort offers it's own entertainment like Hay Rides, Horseback Riding, and campfire stories/s'mores.

I like that they replaced the perimeter train ride with an Autopia that circles the park. Very "Route 66".

They could play up the seasonal stuff with a pumpkin patch/fall festival. "Sleigh" Rides as part of their Christmas Festival. Summer Beer and BBQ Fest.

And if they really need an IP character, maybe they can get Buc-ee

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I can see that perspective. I guess if enough people felt that way it would take away the allure of the World Cup, Olympics and other international competitions.

Eh, it wouldn't. You can be proud of a team, that's all I see. I'm a US citizen, I don't support US in international competition.

JMcMahonEsq

Eh, it wouldn't. You can be proud of a team, that's all I see. I'm a US citizen, I don't support US in international competition.
Wait that doesn’t make much sense given your prior explanation. Under your post since you don’t have any control over the team, don’t play on the team, don’t contribute to the wins, don’t score the goals, you don’t have any reason to be proud of it.

In fact under that philosophy a person could never have pride in any achievement that they weren’t in direct control of. Seems a pretty self centered view of the world.

bjlc57

Florida was a vacation spot before WDW. Winter Park, Ocala, Cypress Gardens, and both coasts had vacationers. Riverboats traveled the St John's River in the 19th century, and Flagler built a railroad so people could get to St Augustine, The Breakers in Palm Beach, and resorts in Miami. The same with resorts in Sarasota, etc.

The wealthy would winter in Florida, and in the 1950s, with better roads, the middle class began vacationing and traveling the state to visit places like Silver Springs, Weekie Watchie Springs, Marineland, etc.

Florida tourism didn't begin in 1971, but the addition of WDW, along with affordable flights, A/C etc certainly made it boom in Orlando, while the attractions elsewhere faded, if not outright disappeared.
my dad went to Miami beach as soon as the war ended .. he took my mother in 1948... I went there in 1967.. i was 10 and we were watching " a Hole in My Head" with Frank Sinatra talking about building a disney land in florida.. no one in their right minds goes to Oklahoma .. But Florida always had tourism.. its much busier now.. We drove to Miami Beach with out a reservation .. and easily got an excellent hotel.. try and do that today..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom