1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Addition's To Disney's Animal Kingdom

Discussion in 'WDW Parks News, Rumors and Current Events' started by Bacon, May 14, 2017.

1. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

Very true. While retired lab chimps aren't as cute and cuddly as breeding families with babies, Disney would score some major PR with it because it's an actual need right now. They could also set some great examples, too. Sanctuaries are generally not view-able to the public so as not to disturb the animals in their retirements, but it's not forbidden - and Disney could be very creative, and come up with new, innovative ways to unobtrusively view. You could armchair imagineer the heck out of the possibilities (people-movers behind one-way glass, etc).

The reason it would be so perfect is that DAK already has the infrastructure to support the unique needs of these aging apes. They have state of the art medical facilities and experts already on staff. Quite a bit of legitimate work with primates is going on at AK already. The protocols developed by the staff with gorillas, for example, in positive reinforcement training. They developed methods to teach female gorillas to take care of their babies naturally so they don't have to be hand-raised by humans first, and has become part of recommended guidelines and protocol across the industry. They really could take the lead here, with so many chimpanzees eligible for release over the next few years, who will just be waiting for some place to go.

andysol, jgg, David2319 and 8 others like this.
  2. AEfx

AEfx Well-Known Member

I mean, come on...what Disney guest wouldn't melt over this?

3. Doug Means

Doug Means Well-Known Member

There is a huge Chimpanzee refuge in South Florida Near Okeechobee, and west of Port St Lucie. I had a cousin who worked there for about 5 years. this is mainly informational, but I'm sure the owners could help design and find the Chimps if this really ever became something.

njDizFan, tcool123, Sonconato and 3 others like this.
  4. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

5. marni1971

marni1971 WDW History nut Premium Member

Songs from the movie and a sing along.

The DLP version of the show was more story based.

6. Princess Leia

Princess Leia Well-Known Member

Thanks. I remember the Lion King MK puppet show (except Rafiki, those were all puppets, right?) followed the plot quite a bit.

7. rawisericho

rawisericho Active Member

And Dinorama isn't?

brb1006, HMF, AEfx and 1 other person like this.
  8. the.dreamfinder

the.dreamfinder Well-Known Member

Dinorama was designed to be torn down in weeks. We're going to be married to a Zootopia land for a long time.

tcool123 likes this.
  9. deWild

deWild Member

The animal hospitals are in a relatively close location to the safaris, so they should probably stay where they are. I wouldn't mind having the buildings receive a retheme whenever a future expansion does happen to occur. For the love of Mickey though, I have a difficult time believing Zootopia would fit AK. I think it'd be dope if AK received another original attraction/land that meets the quality and storytelling of Everest someday. (I know the Yeti is broken)

egg likes this.
  10. jt04

jt04 Well-Known Member

I have been a critic since it opened. The land needs reimagining.

egg likes this.
  11. jakeman

jakeman Premium Member

It's a poorly executed story. You understand the story and the relationship between Chester and Hester and the Dino Institute the area makes more sense.

However, that story isn't effectively communicated.

That's not a defense of the land, just an explanation of it's purpose and cohesiveness to the rest of the park.

doctornick, Roknrollrghostr and Tahu like this.
  12. raymusiccity

raymusiccity Well-Known Member

Another random thought:. It would be awesome to resurrect the great music and floats from the Jammin Jungle Parade. (If they haven't already been relagated to the chipper.) There's already a seasonal component ready to go with Jingle Jungle Parade. It was an awkward parade route, but, anyone who was fortunate to have seen it, has fond memories!

The ' Lion King Show ' has made efficient use of former parade floats. Maybe Jammin could become some imagineers pet project!

doctornick, Sonconato and Tahu like this.
  13. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

Both MK and DHS have their own "spooky" rides. While I'm not big on adding more LK, it would be nice if AK had some kind of equivalent.

14. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

Well...the park did have this at one point

The Duck likes this.
  15. Bocabear

Bocabear Well-Known Member

DAK would be a perfect place for Mystic Manor... Replace the Chester and Hester carnival with a beautifully done Mystic Point and an outpost for SEA...Create an additional ride or two to fill out this land and it would finally feel complete.

16. AKL2003

AKL2003 Member

That would be amazing!! Africa/Harambe was done so so so well, this would have put it waaaaay over the top IMO....

17. jaxonp

jaxonp Well-Known Member

What does mystic manor have to do with anything in AK?

18. mercerbear

mercerbear New Member

Boca, check your inbox.

19. KrazyKat

KrazyKat Well-Known Member

It's got a monkey!!!

20. Ralphlaw

Ralphlaw Well-Known Member

What most of us don't remember is that a marketing ploy of WDW was the huge variety of experiences that would come from a Disney vacation. Four parks, two waterparks, downtown entertainment district, additional activities like fishing and horseback riding, and all the rest. In the early 2000's the vacation video flashed around different areas of the resort to show the amazing variety. My son, who was into dinos at the time, was very excited about digging bones in dinoland. That headless sauropod and nets around those areas were exciting for a 4 year old, and unique from anything else at AK (or really anywhere on property, at least to a 4 year old). The 3 rides were also a good variety for the family, but the carnival game area just seemed silly, although perhaps it was thought that it would give some adults and teens something to do while the young kids dug and climbed.

Put another way, unified theming was not a primary goal overall. I do not think it really is right now either. Nevertheless, when AK first opened, the mystique was that of an African savannah in Florida that was not a zoo. Sounds great, but what will the youngest kids do? Thus Dinoland. It fit the need for a little kid area, bringing fun with a somewhat unique coaster and dumbo like dino ride. The theming was a trite idea that never worked, but it certainly was a departure from the more serious areas of AK.

Now, we have an Oscar winner in Zootopia, and Disney is not about to let that profitable film remain untied to the parks. It's coming, but where? Personally, I really like the idea of a primordial dinosaur area staying at AK. I hope we don't lose it, and I also hope we don't trivialize the natural overall theming of AK too much. Yeah, Pandora and EE already do that, but I am hopeful that it won't go too far beyond that and make Kilimanjaro an after thought. Put Zootopia somewhere distinct, and keep AK as a natural extension of World Showcase with animals as opposed to another IP-driven profit grab.