Pre-Trip 2 Broke Guys (now with Table of Contents!)

Important note: First post edited 7/13/17 to make this odyssey easier to follow!

The reason is I started this pre-trip report over a year ago to help plan our most important trip ever (so far) our 10 year wedding anniversary trip.

However, we have AP's, and we took many short "side-trips" along the way. Rather than creating so many Trip Report threads and looking like a total egomaniac, I just added those mini-TR's into this same thread.

People have said it was hard to follow (I can see that.) Someone suggested putting a "table of contents" in the beginning. So that's what I'm doing. Then you can skip to the pages with the other trip reports, or just read the ones pertaining to "the big one" coming up in early September, 2017.

I will post that trip report separately when it finally happens, but will of course link to it here.

Speaking of linking here, here's a little background. This old post details our vow renewals a few years ago, for a very specific reason. If you haven't read my other trip reports or interacted with me very much on the boards, it kind of sets the stage for what's to come. Here's that link:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...orporate-disney-into-your-vow-renewal.903761/

What follows is the original first post (from 2/11/16) of this long, long thread. At the end of it, I'll put the table of contents to guide you through the rest of the thread.

I am sitting here in a hotel in Tampa, just an hour away from "home." And I'm thinking about it LOL. Oh, am I thinking about it.

When I'm "home home" - in Fort Lauderdale, I never have time to do more than some quick posts because I am always busy with work.

This is going to be a long-@ss pre-trip report.

Not necessarily this first post, but the report as a whole - by necessity, since the trip isn't until early September 2017. And I know I can use some help and advice in putting this all together - it's a very special trip - and have already begun organizing my thoughts based on discussions on this forum.

The basic premise is this: We are going to spend our 10-year wedding anniversary celebration at WDW, with the centerpiece of that trip to be the biggest dinner we can afford at Victoria & Albert's (hopefully the chef's table.) One of the things we enjoy most about Disney in our forties are the amazing meals at places like the Flying Fish Cafe and the Yachtsman's Steakhouse. I expect this meal will be at least as mind-blowing, but probably more.

The catch is - it costs a freaking fortune (at least to us.) I'm estimating something like $600 to $800 when all is said and done(?) And there is no way I could justify spending that much money on one meal.

Except...we have the Disney Chase Visa card, and have come to rely on this for our last several trips. This has opened doors to new experiences that we couldn't afford before. Instead of getting a 4-day ticket, we started getting AP's. Instead of staying off property, we started staying at Disney Moderates. And loved it!

And - we have a year off (sort of) to save up for this magical trip and important celebration. For the last several years, we've been getting the Florida Resident Weekday Select Annual Pass every other year, never two years in a row. I think it's good to go away and miss it for awhile, especially with all the work being done. Stay away for a year and come back to lots of little surprises. (Like those metal detectors! Ha!) They're fine. Anyway, that's the responsible side of me to say we shouldn't spend that much money every year. (We really shouldn't.)

But the advantage of that in this case is to amass Disney Chase Visa card points for months on end (sort of.) We used up all the rest of our points on our last short trip in January of 2016. But then at the end of the month, we earned more money. It's just sitting there...LOL.

Well, I made a deal with myself - if I can save up that $700 or $800 just in Chase points, then I can justify booking that meal at Victoria & Albert's. So that is the first goal. I know somebody will tell me when is the first day I can book it, and I will make a note on my phone so I don't forget LOL.

Based on January rewards being $146.50, I'm thinking this should be cake. (Mmm...cake...)

I'm not saving up for this September, but next September 2017. Total cake, right?!

Then we have to figure out where to stay. I'd like it to be our first Deluxe (possibly on the special floor with the extra goodies) and probably our first DVC rental. DVC Upside - real cost is less. Downside - can't pay for it with Disney Chase dollars LOL. That is funny, but it is a real consideration.

There's the obvious choice - to stay in the Grand Floridian to be where Victoria & Albert's is.

I don't know if that would be my favorite place in general.

I think my favorite place might be the Polynesian - I like the food & the vibe - and the walking into MK. I think that's a must on this trip - have to be able to walk to somewhere. That would include all of the Boardwalk area properties, which are fine with me as well.

Or AK with the Savannah view.

Then there's the corny and sentimental way - 10 years ago, our honeymoon was to Key West. They have a Key West DVC hotel. We love Olivia's. Somehow it doesn't seem big deal enough or have something special like a footpath to MK lol.

At the very least, a monorail resort, even if not walking distance, would be preferred.

Then we have to figure out whether or not to bring the dog or leave her home, drive or fly, diet for 6 months for the pictures LOL. Maybe this one and only trip would be worth memory maker?

I want to really blow it out - something we will never forget. Go for the upgrades. Pick the right tour or tours. So much to discuss!!

I will end each post in this saga like the parodied "2 Broke Girls" TV show, with the dollar amount of whatever they have left or have made at the end of the show, so you can see where they are in their goal.

So for example, tonight's would be:

$146.50

I'll add in any WDW Gift Cards I might buy or receive in the next year as part of what's saved up for that trip. My free BJ's trial period just expired, so I won't be getting any discounted GC's from them.

Now - the potential issue: there is no way we are not going to go to Disney in some way until September of 2017. We are toying with skipping our usual January or April trip in order to go full-on crazy in September.

But we are also toying with things like my dilemma as I sit here in this hotel with all this time to type. We're less than an hour away. I told this story in more detail at the end of my last trip report thread, so I'll just make it very short: Brian is working in Tampa from the end of January until the middle of February (over three weeks.) Yesterday I packed up our pup and drove up to visit, with our Valentine's Day gifts in tow (mostly specialty sugar-free chocolate dipped pretzels potato chips, oreos, plus peppermint bark, etc. We know we won't see each other for Valentine's Day, so basically tomorrow is it, unless I stay until Saturday morning.

Since no WDW trip was planned, I did not bring either my Tables In Wonderland card, or my Chase rewards gift card. But I called, and confirmed I could go to Guest Services and get another gift card (which of course can be loaded automatically.) There's a nice lunch reservation open. There's a spot for the pup at Best Friends Pet Care for 1/2 day care.

On the one hand - this would be something like a 45 minute to 1 hour drive for Brian from 12:30 to 1:30 to go to a special Disney lunch at 1:50, hang out for a bit, and then drive back 45 minutes to an hour to go to work by 4PM until 4AM. (I would have my own car, spend more money buying Disney records for my record store after lunch, go pick up the dog, and drive home to Fort Lauderdale.)

The other option is to drop the pup off at Petco in Tampa for a shampoo, and then hurry to whatever local restaurant is near that Petco, and meh.

Who would ever forget picking up and driving to WDW just for lunch for Valentine's Day (early) There's a fun story to remember when we're in our 60's LOL.

But it would already deplete our current total towards our V&A goal:

$146.50

OK, that was the first post of this whole thing. Now here comes the table of contents. Separate trip reports will be listed in bold. Regular stuff won't.

Posts 1-11 planning.
Posts 12-18: "The Blip Report" - a spur of the moment, one day drive over to the Yacht Club for Valentine's Day lunch at Captain's Grille (with dog.)
Posts 19-70 planning.
Posts 71-199 (page 4) pre-trip (back pain) & TR for 3-day quickie in September 2016 for Food & Wine (no dog, meeting Tuvalu, car trouble LOL) (skip it if you're only in for the anniversary trip!)
Posts 200-210 stuff. (starts bottom of page 10)
Posts 211-258-ish (begins page 11) "micro-trip" - had to go back up to get our car, might as well visit the Mouse!
Posts 258-ish to 276 planning.
Posts 277-283 (page 14) Pre-trip for almost Christmas at Saratoga Springs
Posts 284-331 planning, chit-chat, Thanksgiving
Posts 332-380 (page 17) That almost Christmas trip at Saratoga Springs
Posts 381-392 (Page 20) mostly chit-chat
Posts 393-561 (starts on page 20) (Several short trips back and forth since Brian had sporadic work in Orlando - all with dog!) Including Flower & Garden, Tiffins, more Tiffins, Valentine's Day again, RoL, and to confuse things, somwhere around #522 I'm at WDW but also planning the September 2017 trip (it was the 180 day mark for ADR's!)
Posts 562-569 chit chat
Posts 570-605 (page 29) - omg another quickie trip, Paddlefish
Posts 606-614 chit chat
Posts 615-657 (page 31) omg another trip - Wishes at Cali Grill (our last time seeing it)
Posts 658-694 chit chat, Record Store Day, Nashville
Posts 695- serious September planning!!

Last edited:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I have been driving myself crazy as balls trying to figure out the best of everything for everyone for this little trip LOL.

I think the offer to stay with D at OKW is really nice and would save me money, but there are too many "if's" that could kind of put a damper on things - if I can't sleep with the TV on, if the pullout couch is bad for my back, if she keeps the room cold - the more I think about it, the more I want my own room, even if it's a Motel 6.

For certain, I have to get a Red Roof Inn for Friday in order to have the doggie stay with me that night. Red Roof is running a one day promotion that starts in 3 hours, so I'm waiting for that. If the deal is good enough, I could theoretically just get the Red Roof for 3 nights, not have to worry about bothering D, about moving rooms, etc.

However, as it stands now, Red Roof I-Drive is $53/night plus tax with my AAA discount for Wed & Thurs. (I don't know if it will be lower after midnight.)

And All Star Music has a room available for $74 with my Florida resident discount. That's not a big difference to be on property, and I could use points for some of it, minimizing my cash spend vs Red Roof. (Pop Century is $84 btw.)

Somebody tell me that's OK even though I'm by myself LOL.

I can also stay one of the nights with D to save money & points, and probably have more "quality chit chat time."

I think I already know what I'm going to do, but I'm waiting til midnight to see the Red Roof deal first. Hopefully the Values don't sell out by then!

In other news, Kylie is booked at Best Friends Pet Care for daytime Friday, and I found a rental car for a whopping total of $36 including tax for Wednesday through Saturday. Ta-da!

Signed,
Overplanning Nutjob.

BuddyThomas

"Hey honey, it's time for another quickie!"

I almost changed the title of the thread to that. :eek:

So my friend D who is very concerned about her privacy (which is why I am calling her D) who I haven't seen in person in years and is a Disney nut and DVC owner (but mostly goes to DL, I think) is at The World now. A few weeks ago, she posted that a friend who was going to share her room bailed, and did anyone want to go and stay with her - she's staying for something like 9 days.

Obviously we couldn't do that, and had no intention of going in January since we had just gone up to see another friend in December - but very often this is "our week" to go. We often go between the marathon and MLK day for a few days or just after MLK day. (It would be the beginning and end time of the AP's we usually get for each other every other Christmas.) Facebook has been showing me memories for the last few days that were all pics of us at Disney.

So, I was quietly considering it...

Since football season is over, Brian is done with work at the stadium until mid-summer. He's off until the end of the month when they send him to Tampa (which I usually refer to as Tampon) to help run the State Fair - or until they offer him a F/T position at another location (fingers crossed.) I think it was part of this trip report odyssey the last time he went to Tampa; and Kylie and I went up to visit him for a few days, and we took an afternoon drive to WDW for a Valentine's Day lunch. (I've since realized I should have just made separate mini trip reports like @Tuvalu does and just posted links to them inside of this one, because anyone starting from the beginning of this one now will be lost and bored LOL.)

Brian was also pretty darn sick for the last two weeks of work - up all night coughing really badly - I was alternately making him soup and spraying Lysol everywhere to avoid catching whatever he had. The doctor gave him both flu medication and antibiotics and told him to take the flu stuff first and if that didn't work, take the antibiotics. The flu stuff didn't work, so that wasted the first week. The antibiotics started to work fairly quickly. He's 90% better now.

And I use that to further justify going to Disney. :angelic:

In the meantime - as he does a couple of times every year, he is going up to Daytona to help out at the camp for diabetic kids. He wants to go up on Friday and stay for the weekend. Hmmm...

We can't go to Disney on weekends. D is up there from weekend to weekend. We wouldn't want to go Monday for MLK day or probably Tuesday, either. But Wednesday through Friday is open...

In addition to that, we've wanted to "bomb" the kitchen (with Raid.) We've gotten those teeny tiny ants somehow (there are so many bugs in south Florida) and every few years or so we have to empty all the cabinets, get the dog out, and do that. (I know, gross.)

But what a great excuse to bring Kylie with us to Disney!

I love that my husband is game for my crazy ideas. Did we plan it? No. Can we afford it? Meh. Are we going? Yup.

Deets are not worked out yet, I have to look at pet-friendly rooms (our old reliable Red Roof Inn is no longer) and decide if I'm renting a car or driving my own rickety vehicle.

Despite the offer to stay with D for free - I don't know, I think I prefer my own room. I keep the TV on all night and don't want to be disruptive. Plus I would feel a little obligated to do whatever she wants, spend the whole day with her, etc. I'd rather keep a little space, and I can go to WDW more frequently than she, so I don't want to step on her plans.

So right now I am deciding whether to drive up by myself Wednesday night or Thursday morning. I'll spend Thursday with D (she is doing some AK tour in the morning, so if I go up Wednesday night, I may finally make rope drop at MK Thursday morning!! I have a much better chance of doing that without Brian - not that he wouldn't do it, I just feel bad waking him up so early.) Then Brian will set off the bug bomb at home and drive up with Kylie on Friday. We'll take Kylie to Best Friends Pet Care for the afternoon, and then all go to EPCOT for the new festival. Brian will continue on up to Daytona (another hour or so) Friday evening, and D and I will go to karaoke at the Swan.

I have the option of staying up there for the weekend with Kylie, dropping off the rental(?) up there, and all driving home together when Brian is on his way back home, or more likely just driving home with Kylie on Saturday morning.

It will be short, but a new fun experience to hang with an old friend who loves Disney but we've never gone together, and to do the new Epcot festival. I'll have two full days (and possibly Wed night?) and Brian will just be there with us Friday afternoon.

Will confirm when I know more! :geek:
Errrrrr.................all I know is this:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I think I screwed up. :arghh:

Waited until after midnight - the Red Roof email from yesterday actually says to "set your alarm" for midnight. 12:01, 12:02, 12:03 - no code comes. 12:11, 12:12, so I called them. Bottom line, got the Red Roof King for Friday with the dog for about $10 less ($55)

Sounds good, but wait...

Went back to Disney to book Wed & Thurs at All Star Music for $74 using half points and half dollars. They're gone. No Florida resident sale prices showing at all. They're back up to $92.

There's also a new link that I'm 99% sure wasn't there before - for a passholder discount. (I look for that one first, because sometimes it's better than the FL discount.) But when I click on that link, all it does is take me to the passholder page to buy passholder tickets!!

I don't know if something is just resetting, or if I just missed my chance completely. :banghead: I tried it signed in, not signed in, FL resident, and AP.

And the phone lines are closed.

Gotta get to sleep soon. Either something will shake out in a few, or I'll check again in the morning and/or call. :cautious::confused::bawling::coldfeet:

MySmallWorldof4

And – bummer – on the way home, in the car, getting work done, I saw an email from Disney with a bounce back code that would have worked before we checked out. It's the first one we ever received, and we blew it LOL.
You probably could have used the code. I forgot to book a bounce back code once and on the drive home I called reservations and they gave it to me.
Don't remember the Wings episode, but Cheers had a car-b-que......and so did Seinfeld. :joyfull:
Don't remember the car-b-que in Cheers but Wings and Cheers had the same creative team so guess they were reworking that idea. Cheers did come first. I do remember Seinfeld's too. Could not stand Kramer.
With that said, and without reservation - I loved it!!
Don't tell anyone, but I loved it too. Especially when Elsa sings Let It Go and you are heading backwards. I am admittedly over that song but in that immersive area it was amazing. :D

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
You probably could have used the code.

Yeah, I thought of that, too – a little too late. Sometimes my brilliance is a few hours behind LOL.

Don't tell anyone, but I loved it too. Especially when Elsa sings Let It Go and you are heading backwards. I am admittedly over that song but in that immersive area it was amazing. :D

Completely agree.

So after last night's unsuccessful attempt to book, I unsuccessfully attempted to sleep. About 1:30 AM, I picked up my phone and had to check again. This time, the Florida resident discount was back. And there was an annual passholder discounted room at $69!
IMG_0106.PNG

Note the time at the top is exactly 1:30 AM.

Tried to book, got a lot of this:
IMG_0107.PNG

And then this:
IMG_0108.PNG

Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Give up and try the $74 rate - same experience. The rooms kept showing up at the discounted rates, but when you click to select the room, it would not go through. Let's see what time my last screenshot was...
IMG_0115.PNG

Such a tease. And I went to sleep.

Woke up at 7:30 AM, and immediately turned on the laptop to try again. I saw both the passholder rate and the Florida resident rate.

Still, it wouldn't let me book the $69 rate. The chat box popped up and I asked and they said they can't help me with same-day reservations. I have to call in. I tried the $74 rate, and it did start to go through, so I was afraid to call and lose that in the meantime. I completed that reservation :joyfull:

Just for the heck of it, I did call and asked if they could update it to the passholder price. She said she saw the passholder price but it wouldn't let her do it, either. She said I could get sports for the $69, or pop for $88.

I figured I'd quit while I'm ahead! I belong in music, I don't like sports. I do like pop, but I think it would feel weird there without Brian.

So ultimately this worked out great! I paid the deposit on credit card and I'll pay the balance with my rewards redemption from Chase Visa.

Ta-da! Now I'd love to get on the road either before 4 PM or after 6 PM. Lots of things to do, first. :D

MinnieM123

Premium Member
View attachment 185082
Just got here! About six hours later than expected LOL but all good, no drama. Tired, I have to knock myself out ASAP and figure out how early to get up and out the door because I am going to make rope drop at Magic Kingdom come hell or high water!

Hope you actually can wake up in time to get to the rope drop at MK!! ;) I'm cheering you on--you can do it!! :happy:

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
WAKE UP TONY!!!!'

Been up since 7:05, about to get in the shower and on the road. Park opens at 9 AM so I'd like to be there before 8 AM. No bus – got my own car. Just have to get lucky with the right GPS directions that don't take me to some employee lot or something LOL.

I guess I will never see the one where they arrive by train! But this should still be at least an interesting new thing to do.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Who the heck is that woman in the blue dress and the big wig in the first pic?

Cindy's B****

OK, seriously, I remember her introducing herself as one of Cinderella's people (like, staff rather than subject) but I don't remember her name. She was the first one to walk out and introduce the show.

And she'd make a better cabinet appointment than any I've seen lately!

More on that later…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom