Never Again!. Nope I Mean It.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Good Morning Folks..After some interesting thoughts on the GF. I was wondering. Have you ever stayed at a Disney resort that didn't live up to your expectations,and you swore never to stay there again..Having only stayed at three mods..CBR....POFQ...and PORS....I loved all of them tho my heart belongs to Riverside. But I'am curious ( as ever ) if anyone has had a "not so magical time" at a resort.?:(

real mad hatter

Original Poster

zurgandfriend

We have been to WDW many times and always stay on property, but we have only stayed in 5 different resorts over the years, Dixie Landing/POR, Wilderness Lodge, Contemporary, Grand Floridian and Polynesian. Although none were a major disappointment, we were in Disneyworld after all. I would say that I was least impressed with the Polynesian. The resort grounds are beautiful and the Kona Café is a favorite restaurant, I though however that the pools were a disappointment and the room we stayed in, most especially the bathroom, needed to be updated. Maybe it was the fact that we stayed in the then newly refurbished Contemporary the trip before and we made an unfair comparison. I would love to see the rooms when the current refurbishment program is completed. As in life to each their own, many people hate the Contemporary yet my family enjoys it.

Violet

Zipadeelady

For me I would have to say the Cabins at FW. I just didnt get that Disney feeling there. The check in desk was small and not very Disney, the inner bus system to the main bus was not ideal. Plus the walking .5 mile to the pool after walking around a park all day wasn't my idea of fun.

I shouldn't complain though I was at Disney and the Cabins were kept very nice.

Kristamouse

I am going to get hit with tomatoes here but we won't go back to Riverside. We have 4 kids and requested and paid for an Alligator Bayou room that we did not get. By 7:00 PM our room was still not ready and DH and I were a tad irratieed and tired from travel and our time at DHS. We finally got a room in the back of Magnolia bend 3rd floor no where near an elevator. The CM was kind and gave us a night free for the Alligator Bayou rooms not open and gave us an extra rib for our DD 3 to sleep in, we also had a crib for our 1 year old baby. Two cribs were a tight fit and the rollaway bed would have been much better. Also no luggage cart to be found, DH and I lugged our luggage or 6 and our kids, one who was not yet walking to our room. That was a pain and had nevered happened at All Stars, we also have been able to check into All Stars before or by 3.
As we looked around the room more closely and it was covered in dust. Lamp shade, the sprinkler heads, top of furniture and omg the ceiling fan was horrid. We called for a dusting and vacuming while we walked around to see the place. Got back at 9:30 and no cleaning was done and our cribs were still not there. Two more phone calls and another hour later our cribs were there but we went to sleep in the dust, our kids didn't get to bed unil 10:45 that night from at supposed 3:00 checkin. Stopped by Front Desk to remind them about the dusting the next AM on our way to MK, I also showed them the dusty pictures I took. We came back for a nap around 2 and nothing was done, again stopped by Front Desk on way back MK to ask again and again was not done upon our return. Day 3 I still remained calm and polite when I told them how many times we had asked the CM seemed shocked. I then asked her for a dust rag to do it myself. She saw our check in issue with Alligator Bayou and comped us another night. By nap time that day our room was clean.
Like other have said Riverside very big, we drive to the parks and could not imagine the walks to and from the bus stops at the end of the of the day. Four very tired kids, a way far away elevator and stairs 3floors up got old by the 3rd night. Thoose Manisons are long and wide and we were smacking the middle far elevators or stairs. I needed to clean and sterilize bottles and breast pump pieces and had the 20min walk to the microwaves nightly (while traveling we use steam bags from Medela). By the 3rd night DH would drop me off and I would walk back to help him get the kids out of the car. I got smart and grabbed a clean towel to hold the scalding hot bag on my walk bak to save cool off time. DH couldn't get all kids out alone b/c two were asleep and we will not leave our children alone in a car, so I had to meet him or he would wait for me.
The resort is beautiful. The staff did make our issues right but the few square feet we gained fom the All Star we lost in crib space, the pull out bed would have been better.
The pool was fun andcute for the 2 hours we spent there, the hot tub was down on our pool day. Our one meal at the food court was good as well. We spend so much time at parks and then sleeping that we didn't eat there or swim more.
The next year we stayed in an All Star suite and it was WONDERFUL! Worth the extra dollars, we checked in at 12:00 with a 1st floor clse to parking lot room. We were happy as clams.

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Good Morning Folks..After some interesting thoughts on the GF. I was wondering. Have you ever stayed at a Disney resort that didn't live up to your expectations,and you swore never to stay there again..Having only stayed at three mods..CBR....POFQ...and PORS....I loved all of them tho my heart belongs to Riverside. But I'am curious ( as ever ) if anyone has had a "not so magical time" at a resort.?:(

Yep - POP! Never ever ever ever, nope nada, never again. There were these little bugs in the room, so loud, so crowded. Nope - won't do it again.

DaddyDisneyMan

I can't say that we've had any bad experiences, but we really like POFQ, so I don't see us going back to Pop or the values any time soon.
I'm going to second the second part of your post. We have stayed at Pop out last 2 times and I can safely say that we wont be returning, not because it was bad but its just time to step it up from the value resorts. Unfortunantly our last trip one of our boys became ill with a stomach virus so we spent ALOT more time at the resort than planned. Pop almost became too cartooney (is that a word, lol) and sadly a tad run down (please don't hate me) We felt it was time to enjoy the finer things at a resort for our visits to come. The values are a GREAT place to stay for family with kids and guests not spending a huge amount of time in there rooms.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
Sorry to hear about PORS experience...These things happen,I know they shouldn't,but do..We booked into the Sheraton world resort on I- Drive for one week back in 2004. It was 7 days toooo long..Right from the check in ( sorry sir,we don't have you booked in and the hotel is full ) A quick phone call to our travel rep ( oh sorry sir,you are booked in with us ) from a dirty room with lights not working and teenagers going berserk in the pool at midnight.When we left the Manager apologised for our problems.( they were on a daily basis ) I smiled and said " Don't worry,it's our first and last stay at a Sheraton hotel..:mad:

DaddyDisneyMan

Yep - POP! Never ever ever ever, nope nada, never again. There were these little bugs in the room, so loud, so crowded. Nope - won't do it again.
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that in my last post as well...Pop was VERY crowded and NOOOOOIIIIIISSSEEEYYYY! I actually caught myself becoming irritated a few times waiting in line for food, but then I said to myself, "Self, you're in WDW, smile."

durangojim

I'll probably get flamed here, but there was very little I enjoyed about Riverside. I'd much rather stay at Pop (and have a number of times) than PORS. The things I didn't like were the layout of the resort, the food court, and the absolutely HORRIBLE (at least when we were there) bus service. We were there during value season and at one point after waiting 45 minutes to get on a bus that wasn't completely packed going to MK we got a cab, and this was around 9am. After that, we vowed never to return. The boat ride to downtown Disney was nice and maybe we would like French Quarter better, but I didn't like the rooms or that nothing was convenient to get to.

Pooh Lover

For us it would probably be CBR. We stayed there several times and got assigned rooms that were "over the river and thru the woods" far. Yes we requested closer rooms and yes we requested different rooms but were told nothing was available. Between that and just not being thrilled with other aspects of the resort, we switched to PORS and finally the WL.

WellFedDave

CBR...
It's not that its a bad resort...it's just drawn that way...

In all seriousness though, it's theming seems a little tired...somewhat dated even. Couple that with the sheer size of the resort, the relatively inadequate bus service, and somewhat ineffective front desk staff/check-in; it unfortunately is off our list unless something drastic happens.

As far as the value resorts go, the theming is way too over the top for us. They're too "in-your-face" compared to enveloped themed resorts like AKL, Poly, POR, POFQ, WL where there is a general theme; but it matches the environment and the theme is all encompassing and natural.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom