Netting structures at AK Tree of Life paths

zooey

Original Poster
Saw a pic tweeted out of these new structures put up on the Tree of Life paths with netting surrounding them. You can kind of still see the Tree but not well. You're more or less going through a tunnel.
Anyone know if this is a permanent thing or if they're just up while they check out the integrity of the structure? I know a branch fell a few weeks back.
Really hoping it isn't permanent, because those paths would be ruined and I really enjoy them.

zooey

Original Poster
x2_c512082

dcibrando

I'm at AK now....it's tough to be a bug queue is covered in nets too but I think it's well done. Doest look just thrown together at the last minute (although it was) and is still themed. There is a plastic sheet covering a waterfall though which is odd)

TheGenXer

I think the tree broke and some of it fell into the queue. Happened, I believe, because of a storm. What does that have to do with building or maintaining anything "right?" Storms tear things up sometimes.

Attraction was closed for a few days and then reopened with some netting over the path in places, presumably as a safety precaution of some kind. Looked to me last week like they were still doing a little work on the tree, even after the bug show reopened. Maybe the nets are temporary while they finish repairing it?

Pixiedustmaker

The thoroughness of the netting makes me think this is not meant to be temporary.

Bah. Can't they build / maintain anything right in AK?

Its not as permanent looking as it is. They simply sunk some large wooden posts in the ground, drilled a hole to attach the cross beams with a single bold, stained the whole thing, and threw up some netting. If an experience construction crew was hired, like perhaps those who do decks and stuff, then you could do it in a day or two, like on those home improvement shows.

This structure shouldn't be left up more than the summer as rain WILL start rotting away/warping the wood due to the the lack of rain protection, and given that it looks like they only used a single bolt to support the 2x6's . . . to have this thing up a year would be wrong, at least in Florida's weather.

Some of the boards look like they are just nailed in, you could probably climb up there and kick one of them out . . .

The branch that fell weight about 5 lbs . . . would that net stop something weighing 50 lbs from that height?

They should have shut it down until after inspections were over AND repairs were done.

Given that the TOL apparently hasn't had a major refurb, I bet water got in somewhere and did some damage. Even for concrete on rebar/steel structures, you've got to paint them to prevent corrosion of both the concrete and the steel.

I bet that the branch didn't just break off all at once, I bet it was weakened and hanging by a thread for months, or even years. They probably don't even inspect it properly.

backinaction

Looks pretty perminant to me :brick:. Pretty much the only reason I go to ITTBAB every time is the beautiful views you get while walking through the queue. Looks like this just ruined it.

Victor Kelly

puke......... come on. Another bandaid, knee jerk reaction reaction by Disney. A structure just does not one day start dropping pieces off of it. It is another example of the lack of care and maintenance within Disney World.

jmuboy

I would say if this is a temp thing to get the area reopened it is fine.

If this is Disney's PERMANENT reaction to the branch falling issue then I do not like it. Looks bad.

Pixiedustmaker

I would say if this is a temp thing to get the area reopened it is fine.

If this is Disney's PERMANENT reaction to the branch falling issue then I do not like it. Looks bad.

Another way to tell that this structure is temp is that they used a white nylon rope to secure the net to the boards. If it was going to be up more than six months, they would have used something less conspicuous, and which would have anchor the net better, though I guess a little give would be desirable if a much bigger 'branch' falls.

There's no theming whatsoever to the structure, and its obviously not built to last as they just used rope to secure the net. A permanent structure that worked well would probably be all metal and painted green.

In DLR, the temporary scaffolding around Alice's outside area is metal, even though it was only supposed to be up a relatively short amount of time, I think about a year.

From a construction/structural integrity standpoint, I am surprised that they got the permit to build this thing. In a hurricane this thing would be one of the first things to fall. I notice another 2x4 support beam which is obvious just nailed or screwed into one of the horizontal beams. This doesn't really provide much structural support compared to metal brackets and metal bolts which go all the way through. It doesn't look like anybody drew up a blue-print for this, it is worse construction than my local zoo.

I think that this net might stop a 50 lbs branch, but 200 lbs? I doubt it. I think they believe only that similar 5 lbs branches might fall, and hence they want to stop those.

DDPGambit

I LOVE how people complain that TDO "can't do anything right" and here is a prime example of them doing something right. Bad weather caused an issue with the TOL which forced Disney to close off the areas around the tree for safety's sake. THEN, in order to reopen It's Tough To Be a Bug in a timely manner while they still work on the TOL, they erected a safety net that is somewhat themed to the area. I don't see the problem here other than people complaining to complain.

HM GhostHostess

I LOVE how people complain that TDO "can't do anything right" and here is a prime example of them doing something right. Bad weather caused an issue with the TOL which forced Disney to close off the areas around the tree for safety's sake. THEN, in order to reopen It's Tough To Be a Bug in a timely manner while they still work on the TOL, they erected a safety net that is somewhat themed to the area. I don't see the problem here other than people complaining to complain.

I'm certainly not complaining here just to complain. I'm glad that they are inspecting the Tree of Life and I believe that is what the nets are for. However, TDO works in mysterious ways these days and what is supposed to be temporary always runs the risk of becoming permanent.

Pixiedustmaker

Here's what TDO may have done wrong:

1. It is entirely possible that poor maintenance on TOL was a contributing factor to the branch falling. Had someone been injured, this would have been front and center if the case went to trial. Having some experience with construction . . . and going on the presumption that nobody has ever seen TOL get a massive scaffolding put around it that each branch can get inspected, this might be one strike against TDO.

2. TDO quickly built a safety net to allow Bug's Life to open. I don't think the whole tree has been properly inspected, or the cause of the branch failure known. It is entirely possible that due to a combination of lack of maintenance/bad design or initial construction, TOL needs a major refurb. The safest course of action would be to shutdown Bug's Life and erect the schafolding needed to inspect and do maintenance work. There is obviously a risk that something else could fall, this is why there is a net.

Everybody remembers the maintenance issues that lead to the Columbia accident in DL, but have the folks in TDO learned the same lesson? If a larger branch had fallen (or just the 5 lbs. branch from a tall height) and killed somebody, then we would be reading pages from reporters speculating about poor maintenance in the parks, which we know happens to a certain extent.

If TDO is smart, they'll take this as a wake-up call and look at maintenance schedules for other stuff in the parks.

3. I guess the net is slightly themed as the poles are wooden and the Tree of Life is supposed to be made of wood . . . Seriously, this construction was done quickly with wood because that is what is cheap and easy to build stuff quickly with.

Prototype82

I'm not trying to be Mr. Pessimistic but this has to be fairly permanent. Do you know how much time and effort refurbing the tree's branches would take? There's no way Disney would go in there and fix that. If something like a large broken Yeti AA can't be fixed, completely refurbing a tree like that would be pure fantasy. Expect to see these nets for a long time...

NoChesterHester

Absolutely nothing in the photos I've seen of the netting and support structure look even remotely permanent to me. Protective temporary measure in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom