Negativity

KBLovedDisney

tumblr_my6q41tuOe1ss9fgwo3_500.gif

Rumrunner

"More Lost Service at WDW"...
"just another example of poor management at disney"
"Why is Disney doing it? Why does Disney do ANYTHING lately? To be cheap!"
"Disney going down fast. We need another CEO."

These are quotes from this "news and rumors" forum - from 2001.. With all the negativity I've seen on this board lately, the complaints seem to be that Disney is going downhill, current management only cares about the bottom line, and isn't the same as it used to be.

Yet the exact same sentiments were stated back when this forum first started, 2001. Sure, there are problems and nothing is perfect - it never is. But WDW *is* being invested in -

So far this decade, we've had:
* New Fantasyland
* Disney Springs
* Several other new attractions

Coming up before the decade is out:
* New attractions at Epcot
* Two new lands in DHS (or whatever they end up calling it)
* A new mode of transportation
* A new hotel

Not to mention the investment in Epcot that's proposed. Yes, they spent too much on the Magic Bands. Yes, Shanghai Disney ate into other parks getting newer attractions. And those are valid points. But it just seems that the same complaints are being rehashed over and over again and longing for a past that probably didn't really exist. I for one am glad that Disney is investing in WDW.. I don't necessarily agree with every decision, but it's exciting that so much new is coming. And as a Disney fan, that's far better from letting the parks stagnate...
I do express my complaints and concerns about Disney but once we get close to our trip everything is positive. We do not complain or let negativity interfere with the Disney experience. After all there are few places like WDW and we always have a great experience.

Mickey5150

People can be happy or people can complain, it's a wonderful thing called freedom. However what I don't understand are the people here that complain about everything Disney does, whether it's an addition or subtraction, everything is bad. If you have to complain about everything Disney it would probably make sense to give up on Disney and move on to something else. It's like loving the taste of Coke and they changed it to taste like Sprite, yet you continue to drink it complaining the whole time it tastes bad.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's like loving the taste of Coke and they changed it to taste like Sprite, yet you continue to drink it complaining the whole time it tastes bad.
A more accurate analogy would be the "New Coke/Coke Classic" experiment. It looked like Coke, it smelled like Coke, and the company still called it Coke, but it was sufficiently different to generate near rage in those who didn't like the new taste.*

Most people complain only when something Disney does negatively affects their experience (or, in some cases, might negatively affect them if they actually went to WDW once in a blue moon). I think consumers have the right to complain when a company changes something about their product that negatively affects their experience.

* and we all saw how that sorted out in the end... a lot of people switched to Pepsi until Coke got rid of the new Coke...

drizgirl

I have rented a car for the WDW part of the trip, I was going to return car to Airport and take an airport shuttle to Universal, thinking they must have something similar to Magical express? But nope, I have to pay to get from airport to Universal, just silly to me, if I want to return rental car to universal it is hundreds of dollars more to return the rental to a different location, so if I am flying in to Orlando I have to pay to get to Universal, just doesn't seem right after we are paying thousands of dollars to go to there resort, I have never traveled anywhere, where I could not get a free shuttle to the place I am staying at
Ever been to Disneyland?

Lets Respect

I have rented a car for the WDW part of the trip, I was going to return car to Airport and take an airport shuttle to Universal, thinking they must have something similar to Magical express? But nope, I have to pay to get from airport to Universal, just silly to me, if I want to return rental car to universal it is hundreds of dollars more to return the rental to a different location, so if I am flying in to Orlando I have to pay to get to Universal, just doesn't seem right after we are paying thousands of dollars to go to there resort, I have never traveled anywhere, where I could not get a free shuttle to the place I am staying at

You know Magical Express isn't free though? It's built into the cost of the rooms.

Raineman

I think a big problem with this forum isn't so much the negativity itself, it's the fact that people will tell other people that their opinion on an issue is wrong. There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate, but it always seems to degenerate on here into personal attacks, or arguing that a point is right or wrong out of spite, with no info to back up their point. Some people here need to learn to respect other people's opinions even if they don't agree with them. It's kind of a microcosm of our society really-"I'm right, you're wrong, and because you don't agree with me, you're an idiot". This kind of crap needs to stop. And, again, to be clear, I am calling out not just the doom and gloomers but the pixie dusters as well-both sides are guilty of this.

grnflash

I think a big problem with this forum isn't so much the negativity itself, it's the fact that people will tell other people that their opinion on an issue is wrong. There's nothing wrong with a healthy debate, but it always seems to degenerate on here into personal attacks, or arguing that a point is right or wrong out of spite, with no info to back up their point. Some people here need to learn to respect other people's opinions even if they don't agree with them. It's kind of a microcosm of our society really-"I'm right, you're wrong, and because you don't agree with me, you're an idiot". This kind of crap needs to stop. And, again, to be clear, I am calling out not just the doom and gloomers but the pixie dusters as well-both sides are guilty of this.

Personally I don't really see personal attacks as a big problem on this forum - actually I find this the most well-balanced of the major Disney forums. Micechat is the clear winner for arrogant, aggressive posters (granted, some of them do make appearances here, albeit toned down.) The Dis on the other hand simply cannot handle disagreement or criticism. It's particularly prominent on the WDW board.

This forum, in addition to having a healthy mix of insiders, old-timers, and your general Disney-lovers, generally has debate-style discussions with, yes, a sometimes heavy sprinkling of snark mixed in. This is all my personal take of course and I'm personally not terribly sensitive to someone opposing my opinion or even throwing some snark at me. And if it's witty snark, that might even get an inadvertent chortle. Mileage will vary on this of course dependant on both one's own personality and what one is looking for in a forum.

Winter

I still don't understand why 90% of the people on here even go to Disney anymore if all they're going to do is complain about how much Disney supposedly sucks and how everything new is the worst thing in the entire world and that all the old stuff are litertatly the best things to ever be at Disney and so on and so on........

Like if that's all you are going to do then why are you still going to Disney? You clearly hate it, so why keep going?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I still don't understand why 90% of the people on here even go to Disney anymore if all they're going to do is complain about how much Disney supposedly sucks and how everything new is the worst thing in the entire world and that all the old stuff are litertatly the best things to ever be at Disney and so on and so on........

Like if that's all you are going to do then why are you still going to Disney? You clearly hate it, so why keep going?
Did you read the last 4 pages of posts...?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Why do people still support their team despite them loosing the game most weeks?

ParentsOf4

I don't know, I hate sports and so don't care about that type of thing. I guess just out of loyalty?

What does that have to do with my post though?
The sports analogy is appropriate when it comes to WDW. Fans develop intense loyalties even when teams perform poorly.

Just listen to sports talk radio; a team's most loyal fans often are its harshest critics.

However, since you "hate sports", it's doubtful you'll understand the parallels.

Perhaps there's something else you're passionate about, something that despite your strong devotion, you still complain about?

Parents are sometimes guilty of this when it comes to their children.

After 25 years of marriage, I can think of at least one thing my DW is devoted to even though she complains about me, er, I mean it, all the time. ;) :D

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

So you know when everyone who complains visits? That’s kind of creepy.

21stamps

2 cents on the "sports analogy"..

I've seen it here before, but don't quite get it. I'm a die hard sports fan. I do complain/criticize my teams where warranted.. but at the end of the day- always have a positive outlook and hope for the best, as well as want the best at every moment.
I don't have a desire to see empty stadiums and people not buying tickets. I can get momentarily annoyed by a draft pick, but support the person picked from the next day on.

I can sit at a NFL game and feel a little ping of guilt that I absolutely love one of the players on the opposing team (because of my love of a certain NCAA program)... but at the end of the day- I always want my team to win. And no matter how much I love a certain player, I'm not going to go out and buy his 'new' jersey because of nostalgia.

Sports fandom is so different than a vacation destination. You are tied to a team, you don't cheat on them. Vacation spots could never elicit that same type of loyalty from me.

Maybe other sports fans wear jerseys of different teams, and wish for their stands to be empty.. but if they do, then they aren't actually the kind of loyal fans that I think the analogy is meant to reference.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom