Need some serious advice

Kyle James

Original Poster
Hello everyone!

I'm a junior in college ready to apply to medical school this summer. I've done exceptionally well in college all in an effort to pursue a career in medicine. Late last year I had someone ask me, "What inspires you?" I thought long and hard about this. I love to help people, and I love making people happy. I love science and the human body. However, when it boiled down to my true feelings, I answered with one word, "Disney."

Thoughts started racing through my head. Am I doing the right thing? Is medicine really my path? Is a meaningful career through Disney possible? Now, I realize only I know the answers to my personal questions, but I also have a few more general questions if anyone cares to answer.

Is it possible to live well-off (comfortable enough to have a family and not stress too much about money) with a career at Walt Disney World? What types of jobs could a "sciencey" person pursue at Disney World?

And finally, a question for those with much more life experience than me, am I crazy to pass up the opportunity of becoming a doctor to pursue a fantasy job?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Meeko77

I would recommend (if you haven't already) to check out the disneycareers.com site; it may give you some ideas. If your college participates in the Disney College Program, it may be another option for you to consider - not sure if they still offer "Advanced Internships," but there might be something of interest there as well.

See if you can track down someone at Disney who has a career that appeals to you; a college professor of mine had a project once where we were assigned to interview someone in our "dream" job, and I was able to get in touch with someone at Disney and interviewed him. If you can make that connection or even come to Florida to meet that individual in person, that might help give you better insight if this is something you truly wish to pursue.

Another way to really keep Disney in your life would be to eventually practice medicine in the Orlando area, so you would be close enough to experience that Disney magic from time to time. :) I would say you would likely make more moola as a doctor, but if you wouldn't be happy being a doctor, then I would recommend that you find a career you truly enjoy in life (whether that would be at Disney or elsewhere). I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom