Need help choosing a resort for our WDW Honeymoon

CheltonJ

Original Poster
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if you wonderful group of people would be able to help me. My self and my partner are getting married this year and we are going to have our honeymoon in 2017 to help us save a bit more to give us the trip of our dreams.

This will be the 5th time that I have stayed at a WDW resort and have previously stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Polynesian Village and Saratoga Springs but it is the first time my wife to be will have stayed onsite.

We are trying to decide which resort to stay at and we have narrowed it down to three.

1 - Animal Kingdom Lodge (Though we would want a Savannah View Room if we stayed here)

2 - Wilderness Lodge

&

3 - Beach Club

Would love peoples opinions on the three to maybe give us a little nudge in to the direction we could go.

Thank you all and look forward to hearing peoples views :)

PrincessRachelT

Since you've already stayed at AKL, why not stay at Wilderness or Beach? As far as those two, I would pick based on where you want to spend most of your park time as both are wonderful resorts.

DisneyPrincess5

We stayed at Wilderness Lodge for our Disneymoon in 2013. We stayed for 12 days, 11 nights and we had an absolutely amazing time! We may have been looking at The World through very rose colored glasses at the time as we had gotten married 2 days before, but still I believe I can offer an unbiased opinion.

We had a courtyard view room (greenery and pool) with a balcony. Our room was clean and spacious and more than enough for us. Loved the whole rustic vibe.
We ate at Artist Point which we loved and had many quick meals at Roaring Fork which we also enjoyed very much.
The lobby is gorgeous of course and we enjoyed the calm boat ride to MK.
Nice gift shop and we never waited too long for a bus. Didn't go to in the pool but it looked nice.

Overall, we found our stay at WL to be calm, quiet, and peaceful!

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials and happy planning! Wherever you stay, enjoy.

PineapplePrincess

Having stayed at all 3, IMO Animal Kingdom Lodge is the most romantic of the three choices for a Honeymoon. DH and I had an amazing room at Beach Club, but we were upgraded and you can't count on that. I really don't think you can go wrong at any of them. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
All are great choices, I haven't stayed at AKL but I have stayed at the other two. I really don't think you can go wrong. But if I had to choose I would go with the Beach Club. It is walking distance to Epcot and the Studios (although the boat is more relaxing). You have a great pool at the Beach, lots of good restaurants and lounges in the Epcot resort loop. You can have romantic strolls around the lake and have a fun night out at Jellyrolls.

ToTBellHop

Of those, I personally find AKL to be best for couples. Its theming is particularly romantic--all the dark woods and low ambient lighting.

Depending on when you're going in 2017, WL may still be under construction.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
My husband and I stayed at the wilderness Lodge for our Disneymoon in 2013 and it was perfect!!! I mean, I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices, but it was such a relaxing environment. Highly recommended.

njBadLands

There is something to be said about being able to walk to Epcot, HS, and the activities of the boardwalk all from Beach Club. On top of that the place and pool are gorgeous. I've been to WL, Boardwak Villas, a couple mods, and have a split trip to contemporary and AKL planned, but my first choice would be Beach Club if money were no issue (always turns out to be the most expensive when we are planning).

BigRedDad

To make a long story short and through fault of WDW, we were moved from the Contemporary to AKL on our honeymoon back in 2001. It was 2 months after 9/11 which caused even more problems. All I can say is the people at AKL made our honeymoon week amazing. So many things were offered to us and everyone so welcoming. There is something to be said for waking up, going to the balcony, and having the Arusha Savannah right there every morning.

Kathy T

My husband and I also stayed at AKL on our honeymoon. Out of all the resorts, I think it has the best theming and really makes you feel like you are on a vacation. Great restaurants and so many little places to have romantic moments.

TXDisney

For us without kids we tend to spend more time at Epcot. So as a honeymoon you might prefer that as well. We stayed at BC our last trip and loved it. We love the restaurants in world showcase, so it was nice to go to the parks all day then go back to the room shower and change to do a nice dinner in walking distance.

CaptainAmerica

If it helps your decision with the potential cost savings, there's no need to pay for savanna view at AKL. If you request Kudu Trail view when you do your online check-in, you'll most likely get all the benefits of a savanna view without paying for it. Some of the rooms have something called a "boma" just outside the window, basically a concrete patch that they use for keeper and maintenance access to the savannas. Disney calls these "standard view" so they're way cheaper.

EvilQueen-T

I love all three choices. First I wouldn't stay at a place I've already stayed at. It's your honeymoon so I'd make it as unique as possible. Second I'd look at what time of year your traveling. If you're going during F&W or F&G I'd stay at Beach. You have super close access to Epcot and DHS without having to take a bus.

CaptainAmerica

I love all three choices. First I wouldn't stay at a place I've already stayed at. It's your honeymoon so I'd make it as unique as possible.
I don't think I agree with this. I'd rather my honeymoon be good than unique. I've stayed at most of the deluxe resorts but never the Contemporary nor the Yacht Club because the themes don't particularly appeal to me. I wouldn't spend my honeymoon at one of those two just for uniqueness' sake if I know I prefer Animal Kingdom Lodge or Old Key West.

Second I'd look at what time of year your traveling. If you're going during F&W or F&G I'd stay at Beach. You have super close access to Epcot and DHS without having to take a bus.
Unless you don't particularly enjoy F&W or F&G, in which case I'd stay away from the boardwalk resorts at that time of year.

bethymouse

If you plan on spending more "romantic" time together at the resort instead of at the parks, then I'd go for AKL. There are so many nice quiet walks you could take at night. Jiko was one of the best experiences my husband and I have had together ( next to Flying Fish Cafe at Boardwalk). WL is beautiful as well, but not sure if construction will be finished by then. As @MansionButler84 had mentioned. Both are quite similar with different themes of course.

Philo

For our honeymoon we started out at AKL for 6 nights, then switched over to WL for 6 nights. Couldn't have been happier with that choice. Both are absolutely fantastic and great choices for a Honeymoon. AKL is like nothing else and whilst some people complain that the transport options aren't great, we had no problems at all and wouldn't hesitate to go back there again.

I'd say the Beachclub is an excellent resort in terms of location and comfort though so whatever you choose, you'll have a great time!

Epcot82Guy

For the romantic factor, it's a tough call between WL and AKL. Wilderness Lodge at night rivals World Showcase for romance to me - especially if you take the boat from MK over and dock out in the lake.

If you will be taking some time, you could also split your stay. Disney will move your luggage, and with the new online check in, it's very simple. I might suggest starting with one of the Epcot resorts - especially with a lake view. Then move to the more quite, romantic WL or AKL.

Congrats to you, and hope you have a wonderful time!!

slappy magoo

If you wind up staying at AKL, I'm not 100% sure a savannah view is necessary. How often will you really be ejoying the view from your balcony on your honeymoon??? (bowm chicka chicka bowm chicka chicka beee boooooowwwwwm).

The first trip I took with my then GF, we stayed at AKL. We opted for 10 nights in a standard versus 7 in a savannah. We had plenty of time to take walks and enjoy the scenery without paying the extra dough-re-mi for the view. Now once in a while I do regret not getting the savannah view, but it gave us extra time...in theory, we wound up leaving early to avoid getting stuck in a hurricane, BUT HAD WE STAYED, it would've saved money.

Between then and our first trip as parents, we stayed at
Port Orleans Riverside - one week during spring break
Saratoga - one week using "bonus points" we rec'd for becoming DVC members
7 nights at Wilderness Lodge Villas in a studio, followed by 3 nights in a 1BR standard view at Boardwalk. this was part of our honeymoon as well. WL gave us a room as close to the end of the building as possible, and at first it seemed cruel, but then again, they probably figured we'd want as much privacy on our honeymoon as possible (bowm chicka chicka bowm chicka chicka beee boooooowwwwwm). And having the 1BR Boardwalk Villa meant we could do all of our laundry before going home!
One more week in a Saratoga studio before getting down to the business of having a kid.

Since becoming parents, we've strictly been in 1BR units, once at Saratoga and so far 2 times at Bay Lake with the third coming up some time soon. Saratoga, we always stay in the Congress Park section - even if the view out of the room isn't great, the quiet pool has a nice view across the lake to Downtown Disney. And our Bay Lake rooms have always been Lake views, romantic if we were alone, but the kids love the Electric Water Pageant.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom