Need advice- which building for old key west?

MammaT

Original Poster
We are going to be staying in a 3 bedroom villa at OkW. I would like a room with a pretty water view and with a convenient bus stop(would like to be within walking distance to the last/first bus stop bc of our two toddlers). Anyone stayed in a 3 bedroom they loved? Recommendations??

anchorman314

This photo was taken from one of the (or the only one....not entirely sure) 3 BR Grand Villas in building 16. The Villa was on the 2nd/3rd floors of the building. Building 16 is just off of the main intersection when entering the resort--very short walking distance to both the Hospitality House stop and the Penninsular Road stop.

Attachments

• P1010839.JPG
    P1010839.JPG
    208.8 KB · Views: 133

MorganKelly

A reservation near the Hospitality is a guaranteed reservation. IMHO, it works well when traveling with toddlers or seniors. The rooms are handy to all major services. Peninsular Road is next closest.

officialtom

Reviving this thread rather than creating another. We are staying at OKW Jan 27 to Feb 6, 2016 (pre-trip report in my signature!) and we did online check-in yesterday. Deluxe studio, not DVC. We normally stay at POR, so we think we're used to a big, sprawling layout. We've also stayed at CSR and didn't mind the size/walk either. How do they compare to OKW?

Wondering about room requests. In terms of being near the hospitality building -vs- having a nice view of the canal or fairway, we'd prefer a nice view. That said, are there any rooms without nice views?

Right now, we've requested upper floor and Miller's Road area. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Reviving this thread rather than creating another. We are staying at OKW Jan 27 to Feb 6, 2016 (pre-trip report in my signature!) and we did online check-in yesterday. Deluxe studio, not DVC. We normally stay at POR, so we think we're used to a big, sprawling layout. We've also stayed at CSR and didn't mind the size/walk either. How do they compare to OKW?

Wondering about room requests. In terms of being near the hospitality building -vs- having a nice view of the canal or fairway, we'd prefer a nice view. That said, are there any rooms without nice views?

Right now, we've requested upper floor and Miller's Road area. Thoughts? Suggestions?

There are definitely rooms without nice views. I stayed in a room on the ground floor of bldg. 44 that had a view of the a/c unit and some shrubs. I also stayed in a room along Miller's Road that didn't have a particularly good view. It was either 21 or 22.

You mentioned that you'd requested a high floor, but if you can get a ground floor room in some of the buildings that overlook the golf course, those can have quite nice views. Sadly, I can't recall the room numbers that I've had good views from. Sorry. :(

Looking at a map, I'd suggest 62, 16, 17, 18, 23-26, 31-17. I'd avoid the buildings that back up to Bonnet Creek Parkway, such as 38-41 and the aforementioned 21 or 22).

Here's link to map with building numbers. https://secure.cdn4.wdpromedia.com/media/dvc/catalog/resorts/dvc-resorts/old-key-west-resort-club/OldKeyWestMap.pdf

officialtom

There are definitely rooms without nice views. I stayed in a room on the ground floor of bldg. 44 that had a view of the a/c unit and some shrubs. I also stayed in a room along Miller's Road that didn't have a particularly good view. It was either 21 or 22.

You mentioned that you'd requested a high floor, but if you can get a ground floor room in some of the buildings that overlook the golf course, those can have quite nice views. Sadly, I can't recall the room numbers that I've had good views from. Sorry. :(

Looking at a map, I'd suggest 62, 16, 17, 18, 23-26, 31-17. I'd avoid the buildings that back up to Bonnet Creek Parkway, such as 38-41 and the aforementioned 21 or 22).

Here's link to map with building numbers. https://secure.cdn4.wdpromedia.com/media/dvc/catalog/resorts/dvc-resorts/old-key-west-resort-club/OldKeyWestMap.pdf
Thank you for this! I'll take a good look at the map this weekend based on your recommendations and adjust our check in!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
The "near the hospitality house" is a separate booking category for the units, so there is not a big reason to ask for it, as it will not be that close. You will be farther away than those that have booked that category, which is pretty much exclusive to DVC members, as it books quickly when the booking window opens.

You can definitely request a water or golf course view. We have had those in the past, and it is very relaxing. Good luck!

durhay

We stayed in a third floor room in building 27 overlooking the golf course. Great view, very relaxing. The bus stop was quite close. We're headed back to OKW this May so please let us know where you stayed and how it went.

Zipadeelady

@officialtom How was your stay? Our family is thinking of staying at OKW this July. It will be our first deluxe, we also normally stay at POR. Would you recommend OKW? Did you find a good room near bus stops and a pool. Pool is important to us. How were the buses? I've heard they're a little slow. I'm excited you just got back so I can pick your brain!!

epcotisbest

@officialtom How was your stay? Our family is thinking of staying at OKW this July. It will be our first deluxe, we also normally stay at POR. Would you recommend OKW? Did you find a good room near bus stops and a pool. Pool is important to us. How were the buses? I've heard they're a little slow. I'm excited you just got back so I can pick your brain!!
Hey @Zipitidoda I know you were not asking me but I am gonna chime in anyway. OKW is a beautiful property with very large condos. We stayed in building 46 on Peninsular Road with a view of the canal where the boats went from OKW to DTD (or now DS). It was near a quiet pool and bus stop. The view was wonderful and we would have breakfast on the balcony every morning. I highly recommend it. The main pool is big with lots of activities. We, as usual, spent more time there than in the parks. Buses make several stops, but we never found them to be slow or a very long wait, but we did not use them much.
Here are a couple of pics of the view from our room.

OKW.jpg

OKW2.jpg

DisDadWoz

Hey @Zipitidoda I know you were not asking me but I am gonna chime in anyway. OKW is a beautiful property with very large condos. We stayed in building 46 on Peninsular Road with a view of the canal where the boats went from OKW to DTD (or now DS). It was near a quiet pool and bus stop. The view was wonderful and we would have breakfast on the balcony every morning. I highly recommend it. The main pool is big with lots of activities. We, as usual, spent more time there than in the parks. Buses make several stops, but we never found them to be slow or a very long wait, but we did not use them much.
Here are a couple of pics of the view from our room.

View attachment 131263
View attachment 131264
Were you in a 1 or 2 bedroom villa?

midwest_mice

Best place we have stayed, just a few weeks ago, was building 26 on Pennisula Rd. That is the first bus stop going to and from the parks. Only downfall is the 5-10 minutes stops at the other bus stops before you head to the parks. We also liked being able to walk to the main pool, lobby, rec center as it was about a 2-3 minute leisure walk.

epcotisbest

@epcotisbest you are plethora of knowledge!!:D Thank you so much! is there a building that is best to request if wanting to be close to the big pool? Or is any building not to horrible of a walk to the pool?
Well, there are some locations that are a pretty long walk to the main pool. Here is a map that might help you decide which buildings you might like to request. Buildings 11-14 and 23-26 and 62 are fairly close to the Hospitality House and main pool. Others are close to a quiet pool.
okwmap-790x1024.jpg

kparn

I'm a DVC member. Though my home resort is not OKW, I have stayed there in a studio and a two bedroom. If you happen to be placed in an area away from the main pool, you don't have to walk. You can utilize the bus system to ride to the Hospitality House/Main pool/Restaurants. When you arrive at OKW, you'll be taken to your room via cast member driving a golf cart if you did not drive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom