Need a sturdy stroller for a big kid!

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
Please help!
We are going to WDW in Nov. Im getting a stroller for my soon to be 5 yr old daughter. She is about 40" and 32 lbs.
But, my nephew is also going. And the adults have all conspired that we should get my daughter a double stroller because if the nephew gets tired he can sit too, but we arent going to tell him that. See, he's a very proud soon to be 8 yr old...
And he's Very Tall & Solid for his age, 52" and 56lbs...
So my question is would the Disney strollers be better or would a stoller from Kingdom Strollers be ok? They say up to 100lbs but im still cautious...
Thanks!

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
Um...
I was wondering if my nephew & daughter would be too heavy for a normal stroller or would a plastic disney stroller work better?
I was asking options of other parents who have had a simialiar situation.
Sorry for any confusion

journ116

I can completely empathize with your situation...stroller, or not to stroller?:rolleyes:

It sounds like your nephew would not fit your average umbrella/quick-fold strollers, so I think your best bet would be to to rent one from the parks. This way, you can pick and choose what days you need a stroller for him, if at all. The one thing that would be of concern would be the height clearance. Most strollers that are rented outside the parks, have a clearance of 45" and 50"...your nephew might grow another couple of inches by then, so he might feel scrunched in there.

This leaves your 5-year-old daughter...I will be in the same boat come this November as well, but my DD will be 6 (plus my other DD will be 3). Your DD's measurements make her a good candidate for a City Mini stroller. We used Magic Strollers in March 2011, and was very pleased with the service and the City Mini Double stroller!

I did check into adding one of those "running boards" that attach behind the stroller, but it has a weight limit of 45 lbs..

I'm sure whatever you decide, will be fine. Enjoy the planning process and perhaps I'll run into you in WDW come November!!:sohappy:

The Mom

Premium Member
Um...
I was wondering if my nephew & daughter would be too heavy for a normal stroller or would a plastic disney stroller work better?
I was asking options of other parents who have had a simialiar situation.
Sorry for any confusion

No confusion. Just that the question has been raised before, and it turns into 1/2 of the people telling you that you should make any child over X age walk, and the other half telling you that it's unreasonable to make any child under X age walk miles in one day. Each side calls the other (or their children) either lazy and spoiled, or unrealistic, insensitive and cruel.

Then there are those who will tell you that you know your child best, and will actually answer your question with the information you're seeking. :lol:

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
Oh ok. Thanks Mom!
We have already made the decision to get one for our daughter. They were a life saver when we were there last time. Dead weight on an already tired parent is no fun. And when she is cranky she wants to be held or snuggle in a stroller, not sit on a bench.
My nephew will have no problem sitting on a bench, but often times benches are full and then what? We have this problem at our local theme park, and we always bring a large wagon, that way we make our own bench! Its large enough for all of us to sit on.
Anyway, so I guess Im going to have to do a little research and go from there. Thanks all!

erstwo

I think I can help! I have a 5 year old daughter and an 8 year old son. However, my 8 year old is taller - by 3 inches. BUT when he was about 52 inches, he still rode in the double stroller we rented from Orlando Stroller rentals. We rented the big orange double City Stroller (I bet Kingdom Strollers rents the same type.) It worked out wonderfully. I will try to post a picture if I can.

I bet you will find that your nephew only rarely uses the stroller. Towards the end of my son's stroller riding days, he only hopped in when he was exhausted - at the end of the day, late in the afternoon after early EMH, etc. Since he won't be in it often, I wouldn't worry about him ruining the stroller.

As an alternative - we also let him ride in just about any type of stroller we brought from home. We owned one or two umbrella type strollers and as little as he was in them, they held up really well even though he was well over the weight and height limits.

Hope that helps! :wave:

Found it: This would be about a year and a half ago - so maybe when he was also 52 inches tall? Not the best picture, but you can see that they both fit:

6779565933_075de9d0b3_z.jpg

G00fyDad

May I make a suggestion as to the longevity of the stroller. Some people will tell you that the stroller will be just fine but I found by using one for our son who was 5 years old that the wheel's opening, where the axle rotates inside, will end up getting hot from the friction of rolling all day long. That heat and the weight of the larger child ends up warping the hard plastic and causing he wheels to bend inward. Take the wheels off before the trip and put a dab of axle grease (No, I'm not kidding) into the hole of the wheel where the axle end resides. Then attach the wheels back on and they ought to survive a weeks worth of constant running. Also lubricate any part of the rolling mechanism that has moving parts that will have any sort of friction.

KingdomStroller

I would say the City Elite Double would be your best choice. It has the room you are looking for for the taller child if they use it for the occasional break. Even at 8, they get tired and cranky so having a nice spot to crash always helps.

EvilQueen-T

my granddaughter is turning 8 soon, is about 60 lbs and about 48 inches tall (she's finally just tall enough to do rnrc so how tall is that lol?). we are annual passholders and go often, i always get a single size disney stroller. i don't want an overtired hanging, whining, leaning child in line, i don't do the pick me up thing in lines...i love having her able to go go go with no drama, plus having a place to leave the autograph book, jackets, a few snacks etc...is also a plus. i prefer to use the disney strollers at her age, it's not like she's going to nap in it or fall asleep heading back to the bus/monorail etc... i just find disney to be soooo draining on adults that having the stroller gives her the stamina to keep up with no negative issues.

SerenityinPA

Original Poster
YES! This is exactly the reassurance I was looking for!!
Thanks to erstwo for the pic!
I looked at the Kingdom Strollers site, and I think that the stroller for me!
Thanks to all for your help!

DisDadEddie

Yeah, and cost an arm and a leg.
They may be expensive, but regular strollers don't support larger kids. You could sit an adult in one of those plastic disney strollers. You also don't have to worry about cramming a stroller into Disney buses. We bring our stroller for our two year old, can't wait for a couple more years and he's done with it.

G00fyDad

They may be expensive, but regular strollers don't support larger kids. You could sit an adult in one of those plastic disney strollers. You also don't have to worry about cramming a stroller into Disney buses. We bring our stroller for our two year old, can't wait for a couple more years and he's done with it.

True. I get what you're saying but we have never rented Disney strollers. Even when they were halfway reasonable about the prices. We always used a large reclining covered style with a basket underneath and big sturdy wheels. Plus, with the exception of one nightmarish year, we've always rented a vehicle, so getting onto buses was never a problem. But, I can see the appeal of having a Disney stroller that you can turn in at the end of the day so you're not lugging it around with you.

Magikal

Boy do I understand the importance of strollers! We have three kids & our youngest two are 11 months apart. The first year the youngest two went, my daughter was 2, turning 3 while we were there, & my son was 3. We've gone roughly the same time each year since then & she's 7 now, but last yr was the first time we didn't bring the 'buggy'. I researched strollers like it was my mission in life! I wanted one that was lightweight, folded quickly & easily, but also held a larger child - at least 60-65lbs - just in case my oldest who was 6 at the time, needed a break once in a while too. I found a stroller that met all my requirements in a Maclaren Volo. It served us so well. It was easy to push, the kids took turns riding, I could hang my bags from it, it has a very easy one-hand fold, will stand on it's own folded & locked, has a simple release latch to unfold & then one foot is all it takes to lock it in place once it's open, and best of all is it has a carry strap right on it to sling right over your shoulder which made it a piece of cake for getting on & off the bus. My husband fit in the way back row of the buses against the back & could even get into a seat by the window in that back row with the Volo standing upright between his feet/knees, and those back window seats are a tight to begin with. And my husband is 6'3" & 220 so he's not a twig either. The stroller weighs either 7# or 9#. I know it's less than 10#. I found ours at Toys R Us & I believe it was $100. We drive, most of the time, and the Volo is so compact it either slides under the seats, stands against the wall in the back corner, or if we forget & have to put it in last, we just slide it in on top of the luggage in the minivan. It fits just as easily in a car as well.
I hope this was helpful. Having three kids age 3 & under all at the same time kinda made me a wee bit obsessed with their mode of transportation, ESP since I was a SAHM & my husband worked so much so we could bring the kid's (& their Mom & Dad!) to see Mickey's house, as my kids referred to it very early on. So not only was I concerned with getting/having the best options for transportation, I also made sure I was getting the best bang for my buck while still keeping in mind that you really do get what you pay for! And since we would be using this stroller again & again, I opted to have something to show for my money & use again vs renting. But like I said, I KNEW I was going to use it again!
GOOD LUCK to those with stroller dilemmas! I hope this helped!

P.S. if anyone has any other park/stroller related questions, I wouldn't mind answering! I had a total of 14 stroller I used from Combi to Maclaren to German ABC (pneumatic wheeled) & many others in between!

HouCuseChickie

We rented a City Mini last summer and LOVED it!!! If my girls were a bit younger, I would buy one. It marks the first time both girls have EVER slept in a stroller side by side. We didn't dare adjust it to recline b/c we didn't want to wake them up.

asleep in the Magic Kingdom by HouCuseChickie, on Flickr

This front pic gives a better idea of how they fit into the stroller- i.e. how much room you'll get.

girls dressed and ready to go bday morning by HouCuseChickie, on Flickr

My kids are on the smaller side...DD5 was exactly 40" when she went last summer and DD3 is smaller, but the stroller is so easy to handle that it seemed like I could easily handle at least another 20lbs. We rented from Magic Strollers and found them to be wonderful and the cheapest when we booked. We'll be using them again and renting another one of these for our Nov trip.

nsmom

We rented through Strollers and Groceries. We always used a City Mini at home, but decided to rent the GT for the trip. It was really nice. I have a 7 and 4 year old. They both are around 50lbs and 7 year old is 50 inches, ds who is 4 is 48 inches (He is so tall) anyways they fit perfect. I highly recommend strollers and groceries. The stroller was clean and we were able to tack on snacks and drinks with no delivery fee since we got a stroller rental. We will definitely use them for our next trip.

Britt

I would probably just use your own stroller for your daughter and then let the 8 year olds parents rent a stroller if he really needs one. Finding a stroller that will support an 8 year old is going to be very difficult. I absolutely understand the necessity sometimes, but unless they're going in on the cost of the double stroller, I wouldn't worry about it : )

Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom