Na'vi River Journey reviews, comments and questions

startraveler

I read there are no wheelchair boats. They have multiple steps to go down to make it easy but you must transfer.
Hmm. steps won't cut it. But thanks for your quick response. I'm hoping a wheelchair user will eventually give a first hand report. I know people have had some problem with the length of the ride, but I would love to experience it.

Castle Cake Apologist

Hmm. steps won't cut it. But thanks for your quick response. I'm hoping a wheelchair user will eventually give a first hand report. I know people have had some problem with the length of the ride, but I would love to experience it.

There have been rumors of a wheelchair-friendly boat being added to the fleet at some point, much like iasw. I can't vouch for the veracity of that, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done based on the layout of the flume.

correcaminos

I asked about wheelchair access to both rides for myself (FoP) as well as someone who uses wheels (Navi) prior to my trip. I received a v/m about it and then read more after the fact. So far neither have them and those were asked to transfer. Maybe they will add but like many slow moving rides sit does require transfer at this time.

As an FYI Disability Services is a great group to talk with. You can use the contact form https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/ (and choose Disability Services) or call them (407) 560-2547. I've had to be in contact with them more than once about issues.

Unlike the other poster I have not heard of them adding a boat but who knows. One I travel with has difficulty with boats and only does ones like IASW or Jungle Cruise since you can remain in a chair.

Castle Cake Apologist

I asked about wheelchair access to both rides for myself (FoP) as well as someone who uses wheels (Navi) prior to my trip. I received a v/m about it and then read more after the fact. So far neither have them and those were asked to transfer. Maybe they will add but like many slow moving rides sit does require transfer at this time.

As an FYI Disability Services is a great group to talk with. You can use the contact form https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/help/email/ (and choose Disability Services) or call them (407) 560-2547. I've had to be in contact with them more than once about issues.

Unlike the other poster I have not heard of them adding a boat but who knows. One I travel with has difficulty with boats and only does ones like IASW or Jungle Cruise since you can remain in a chair.

I could be mistaken on this as well, but I was under the impression that a special chair had been designed to assist guests with disabilities into the FoP ride vehicle. So, if you're at all able to transfer, it sounds like FoP is at least moderately accessible. I don't believe the chair was in use during previews, but I'm pretty sure they've brought it online since.

And I can't reiterate enough that the accessible boat rumor was just that, a rumor. It may or may not be something that happens, but I'm struggling to come up with any kind of reasoning why it wouldn't be possible.

correcaminos

I could be mistaken on this as well, but I was under the impression that a special chair had been designed to assist guests with disabilities into the FoP ride vehicle. So, if you're at all able to transfer, it sounds like FoP is at least moderately accessible. I don't believe the chair was in use during previews, but I'm pretty sure they've brought it online since.

And I can't reiterate enough that the accessible boat rumor was just that, a rumor. It may or may not be something that happens, but I'm struggling to come up with any kind of reasoning why it wouldn't be possible.
There is a special wheelchair that can help you get into the ride seating, but you do have to transfer both to that special chair as well as to the seating for the ride itself. You cannot remain in your chair at all to ride on that ride. So like the boat, it requires transferring.

That is what I have been told by Disability Services and confirmed online as well as in person.

As for the boat, I know it was a rumor, just saying I have not heard that one myself. No one from Disney gave me an indication of that happening either, but then again they've been very hush hush about the ride in general. In fact they were not allowed to talk about certain things until last week officially to riders. It would be possible, they would just have to build the boat.

Castle Cake Apologist

There is a special wheelchair that can help you get into the ride seating, but you do have to transfer both to that special chair as well as to the seating for the ride itself. You cannot remain in your chair at all to ride on that ride. So like the boat, it requires transferring.

That is what I have been told by Disability Services and confirmed online as well as in person.

As for the boat, I know it was a rumor, just saying I have not heard that one myself. No one from Disney gave me an indication of that happening either, but then again they've been very hush hush about the ride in general. In fact they were not allowed to talk about certain things until last week officially to riders. It would be possible, they would just have to build the boat.

I was honestly somewhat disappointed that they didn't bother to create an alternate experience for guests with special needs who were unable to board the Link Chairs on FoP. Something similar to how they've done it for Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland would be at least better than nothing at all. Disney is usually at the forefront of accommodation, but it seems they've dropped the ball in a few places with Pandora when it comes to accessibility.

correcaminos

I was honestly somewhat disappointed that they didn't bother to create an alternate experience for guests with special needs who were unable to board the Link Chairs on FoP. Something similar to how they've done it for Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland would be at least better than nothing at all. Disney is usually at the forefront of accommodation, but it seems they've dropped the ball in a few places with Pandora when it comes to accessibility.
I admit I am not familiar with Finding Nemo at DL can you share what it is like? It's only been more recent that I have more issues with specialty rides due to an issue stemming from childhood. I had been hopeful that FoP would have an ability to just roll up to the seat area or the like. I know you move some, but they could have had something better than transferring I think (even after riding). It might sound strange but the leaning forward is my issue with FoP - I simply cannot tolerate that position anymore. I do lots of squats to reach the floor now. So I thought it would allow for it - nope. At least Disability Services gave me hints on how I could ride (I lean back when they lock it into place giving me the ability to sit upright) as did the people in person. Doesn't help those who have real issues transferring or moving.

I was incredibly disappointed with the boat ride though. I did not travel with the person who cannot do steps well at all, so it wasn't an issue this time, but if she can make it in the future (health is failing) then she will not be able to ride. She can transfer to a standard chair from her powered sources, but the steps really do not help at all.

So like you I'm kind of surprised they couldn't do more. I do hope they can change or add something to either ride - if not both in the future. Like you I am used to more accommodations for those who are disabled especially the newer rides.s

Castle Cake Apologist

I admit I am not familiar with Finding Nemo at DL can you share what it is like? It's only been more recent that I have more issues with specialty rides due to an issue stemming from childhood. I had been hopeful that FoP would have an ability to just roll up to the seat area or the like. I know you move some, but they could have had something better than transferring I think (even after riding). It might sound strange but the leaning forward is my issue with FoP - I simply cannot tolerate that position anymore. I do lots of squats to reach the floor now. So I thought it would allow for it - nope. At least Disability Services gave me hints on how I could ride (I lean back when they lock it into place giving me the ability to sit upright) as did the people in person. Doesn't help those who have real issues transferring or moving.

I was incredibly disappointed with the boat ride though. I did not travel with the person who cannot do steps well at all, so it wasn't an issue this time, but if she can make it in the future (health is failing) then she will not be able to ride. She can transfer to a standard chair from her powered sources, but the steps really do not help at all.

So like you I'm kind of surprised they couldn't do more. I do hope they can change or add something to either ride - if not both in the future. Like you I am used to more accommodations for those who are disabled especially the newer rides.s

Below is a (somewhat poor quality) video of the alternate experience for those guests with special needs at Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Essentially, you enter a large themed room instead of having to board one of the submarines and the attraction is experienced via a large screen at the front of the room. It's in no way the same as actually getting to experience the sensation of physically traveling through the sets in the water on the submarine, but it is certainly better than not being able to experience the attraction whatsoever.

It seems strange to me that a similar solution could not have been implemented with FoP, especially since it is a screen-based attraction as it is. It seems like it would have been a relatively simple solution to have an extra platform with no link chairs that remains stationary just for guests with special needs in wheelchairs or EMVs so that they would be able to still experience the 3D film on the giant screen along with the physical effects (water, wind, etc.).

Regarding your hope that a chair could be wheeled up next to the link chairs, the platform that the link chairs are attached to also physically moves up and down independently from the link chairs to simulate free fall and diving, so a wheelchair would not be able to safely roll onto one of the existing ride platforms.

It is absolutely unacceptable to me that Na'Vi River Journey is not accessible. I am generally a little more understanding of thrill rides not being so, just simply because of the very nature of those attractions often preventing accessibility, but a slow moving boat ride with no sharp turns or sudden drops? No excuse.

Last edited:

correcaminos

Below is a (somewhat poor quality) video of the alternate experience for those guests with special needs at Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage. Essentially, you enter a large themed room instead of having to board one of the submarines and the attraction is experienced via a large screen at the front of the room. It's in no way the same as actually getting to experience the sensation of physically traveling through the sets in the water on the submarine, but it is certainly better than not being able to experience the attraction whatsoever.

It seems strange to me that a similar solution could not have been implemented with FoP, especially since it is a screen-based attraction as it is. Even just an extra platform with no link chairs that remains stationary just for guests with special needs in wheelchairs or EMVs so that they would be able to still experience the 3D film on the giant screen and the physical effects would have seemingly been a simple thing to do. Regarding your hope that a chair could be wheeled up next to the link chairs, the platform that the link chairs are attached to also physically moves up and down independently from the link chairs to simulate free fall and diving, so a wheelchair would not be able to safely roll into one of the existing ride platforms.

It is absolutely unacceptable to me that Na'Vi River Journey is not accessible. I am generally a little more understanding of thrill rides not being so, just simply because of the very nature of those attractions often preventing accessibility, but a slow moving boat ride with no sharp turns or sudden drops? No excuse.

Thanks for that link. Kind of cool to see!

Many have also wondered why they couldn't have a stationary area on the platform that someone could view from. Just make it slightly enclosed or the like so no fall risk. I realize you cannot just roll and be latched in since they go up and down, but they could've done something. Almost anything to make it usable. I am lucky in that my asking about it was not related to my own mobility issue, but to avoid a position that was bad. I really was lucky that it worked for me. I just wish there were *something* they could have done for those more confined to chairs. I know the one I travel with couldn't do this one either.

I 100% agree that the boat ride not being accessible is not acceptable. Totally unnecessary as well. I still cannot wrap my head around that one. Makes those confined to wheels very out of place in the 'future based' place.

Castle Cake Apologist

Thanks for that link. Kind of cool to see!

Many have also wondered why they couldn't have a stationary area on the platform that someone could view from. Just make it slightly enclosed or the like so no fall risk. I realize you cannot just roll and be latched in since they go up and down, but they could've done something. Almost anything to make it usable. I am lucky in that my asking about it was not related to my own mobility issue, but to avoid a position that was bad. I really was lucky that it worked for me. I just wish there were *something* they could have done for those more confined to chairs. I know the one I travel with couldn't do this one either.

I 100% agree that the boat ride not being accessible is not acceptable. Totally unnecessary as well. I still cannot wrap my head around that one. Makes those confined to wheels very out of place in the 'future based' place.

My hope is that enough outrage over the issue will prompt changes, at least to River Journey. I legitimately cannot think of a single reason that a chair-friendly boat couldn't be part of the fleet.

correcaminos

My hope is that enough outrage over the issue will prompt changes, at least to River Journey. I legitimately cannot think of a single reason that a chair-friendly boat couldn't be part of the fleet.
Maybe more of us should write in and express the displeasure. I saw someone whose daughter was chair confined and sad they couldn't do it last week at the parks. Just chatting in line for another ride :)

Castle Cake Apologist

Maybe more of us should write in and express the displeasure. I saw someone whose daughter was chair confined and sad they couldn't do it last week at the parks. Just chatting in line for another ride :)

It's doubly sad considering how simple accessibility would have been on either of these rides, especially with River Journey. I am fortunate to not have any special needs, but I know many who do and many of them are confined to their chairs. The fact that they literally cannot experience a single ride in this new land is mind-blowing to me. I expect things like this from places like Six Flags and Cedar Point, but Walt Disney World should be the industry leader in doing absolutely everything that they can to ensure that all of their guests are able to experience the magic.

I would suggest physically writing a letter to the company over an email. Or, both. Doing both is probably even better.

correcaminos

It's doubly sad considering how simple accessibility would have been on either of these rides, especially with River Journey. I am fortunate to not have any special needs, but I know many who do and many of them are confined to their chairs. The fact that they literally cannot experience a single ride in this new land is mind-blowing to me. I expect things like this from places like Six Flags and Cedar Point, but Walt Disney World should be the industry leader in doing absolutely everything that they can to ensure that all of their guests are able to experience the magic.

I would suggest physically writing a letter to the company over an email. Or, both. Doing both is probably even better.
agreed!

FigmentJedi

It's more insulting then that. The protagonist of the movie was a paralyzed soldier who lost use of his legs and was confined to a wheelchair until signing up to take his brother's place in the Avatar program.

correcaminos

It's more insulting then that. The protagonist of the movie was a paralyzed soldier who lost use of his legs and was confined to a wheelchair until signing up to take his brother's place in the Avatar program.
Oh crap, I forgot about that. I hated the movie and even more the second time I watched it (at the resort even). How utterly pathetic.

Eckert

When I first thought of ADA accessibility for Flight of Passage, I very easily imagined a link chair with no bike seat that attendants could just lock the wheels of the chair to the base so that the rider could experience the motion and effects and only miss the banshee breathing between your legs. I'm surprised that isn't available.

And I absolutely love the review they give of FoP in the Rolling With The Magic blog post:
As a wheelchair user you can become used to your movement being restricted and dependent upon your chair. Flight of Passage allowed me to feel like everyone else for a few minutes. It also gave me a sense of movement and freedom that I was not expecting. In the movie, when Jake first connects to his Avatar he can’t wait to move, run, and feel his feet beneath him. I never thought an attraction would allow me to have that same emotional experience. But there I was, flying.
It's great to see an attraction affect all types of people so positively. This ride really is a hit.

Castle Cake Apologist

When I first thought of ADA accessibility for Flight of Passage, I very easily imagined a link chair with no bike seat that attendants could just lock the wheels of the chair to the base so that the rider could experience the motion and effects and only miss the banshee breathing between your legs. I'm surprised that isn't available.

And I absolutely love the review they give of FoP in the Rolling With The Magic blog post:

It's great to see an attraction affect all types of people so positively. This ride really is a hit.

The platform moves up and down to simulate diving and free fall... I can't think of any possible way to safely allow somebody in a chair to experience the full range of motion.

It would be fine to lock the wheels of the chair onto the base, but what is going to hold the person in the chair into it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom