NASCAR 2015

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I watched the post-race coverage for quite a while yesterday. What a great day for Jeff Gordon! :joyfull: (And the crowd chanted, "Homestead!! Homestead!!" :happy: ) (@jw24 , I'll bet you were ecstatic about the win for the # 24 yesterday, if you happened to catch the race.)

Meanwhile, with 47 laps remaining, the # 20 appeared to have a revenge incident with the # 22 . . . :jawdrop: Guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday for the official ruling from NASCAR on that one.

wdwfan4ver

I did see the whole race. I wait and see with Kenseth in terms of the punishment, but I have to say one thing Joey's dad after today's race. What Joey's Dad did today didn't help Joey out at all from a fan standpoint and how drivers look at Joey. I guess the warnings and suspension NASCAR gave Joey's dad got in the past didn't give him the message. There had been dads that were a great help in their kids racing career in NASCAR, and Joey's dad isn't one of them

The fact Joey's crew had to prevent Joey's dad, Tom from doing something after his son got wreck by Matt Kenseth. The people covering the race for the NBC Sports Network event mentioned that the crew chief already had a plan in place for Joey's Dad for not getting involved before the wreck between Matt and Joey happened. Joey's crew forced his dad to go inside the hauler. It appeared like Tom Logano was going to be after someone if the crew chief didn't stop him right away. The crew chief prevented the dad from getting warned by NASCAR or not be allowed in the cup garage for doing more bad behavior.

Joey's dad, Tom in the past had warned by NASCAR in the past years ago due to his bad behavior on pit road in the garage and even once wasn't allowed in the cup garage after bad behavior. What I mean by bad behavior is doing stuff like shoving a broadcaster out of the way, and even once gave Greg Biffle a a threatening gesture:eek::jawdrop:. I didn't remember any other dads of other cup drivers in series doing this type of behavior including Jeff Gordon's own family when Jeff first went to the cup series at the age of 21. While there has been parents in victory lane, or cheering their kid in the past, they control themselves. The type behavior I mentioned isn't exactly doing Joey any favors since his dad is reliability in terms of not able to control himself.

Joey is now 25 years old and should be standing up for himself besides having a wife now when there is an issue with another driver. Matt Kenseth last week on the radio to his crew at Talladega basically said Joey's dad does Joey's battles off the track. There had been other drivers in the past have said the same about Joey's Dad, Tom including Kevin Harvick.

Having a dad the supports you is a great thing, but the actions of Joey's dad is something unfortunately expect out a little league game or a whatever sport a kid plays with parents watching their kid. I mentioned this because there had been parents on the news in the past for
bad behavior during games that their sons or daughter play in that including attacking other people.That type of behavior shouldn't be tolerated matter of fact.

A great example of how a NASCAR parent should be was Dale Earnhardt Sr. or Jeff Gordon's Stepfather. Dale sr. had his Dale Jr. work on his own cars, and didn't didn't involve with wrecks his son was in. What Dale Sr. did for Dale Jr. was teach him how to represent your sponsor well and he was there in victory lane. Jeff's Stepfather is a great example also because he taught Jeff how to handle himself in interviews with the media as a teenager, and actually help Jeff find drivers for advise for Jeff's racing career. Jeff needed advice when his road to Indycar was blocked basically and his stepfather talked to people like Ken Schrader and Dale Earnhardt Sr as examples for professional advice. Jeff's stepfather though didn't involve himself in his son's battles on the track.

wdwfan4ver

I watched the post-race coverage for quite a while yesterday. What a great day for Jeff Gordon! :joyfull: (And the crowd chanted, "Homestead!! Homestead!!" :happy: ) (@jw24 , I'll bet you were ecstatic about the win for the # 24 yesterday, if you happened to catch the race.)

Meanwhile, with 47 laps remaining, the # 20 appeared to have a revenge incident with the # 22 . . . :jawdrop: Guess we'll have to wait until Tuesday for the official ruling from NASCAR on that one.
That shouldn't be only thing that needs to wait on. NASCAR is reviewing Danica Patrick. Danica on her own team radio said she was giving David Gilliland payback and she ended up going into the garage with more damage. David and Danica do have a past. The other smoking gun NASCAR has on Danica is the crew chief telling Danica don't go after David Gilliland and she did it anyway.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@wdwfan4ver , all I can say is that it's a good thing there's only 3 races left in the Chase. I know that tempers flare toward the end of the season, but all that's going on now is just crazy. I don't follow the behind-the-scenes information that closely, but yesterday I did see some of the film clip showing Joey's father making his way through the crowd, absolutely infuriated by what happened on the track. I can understand his father's frustration, but as you said, Joey is a young, capable man; he's 25 now, and his dad should step back and let his son handle his own business.

I was reading a few web sites last night about the race, and there was a poll on one of them. The question asked was if Matt Kenseth did the right or wrong thing by crashing Joey Logano into the wall. I voted that Matt did the wrong thing by intentionally wrecking Joey's car, as I don't approve of that behavior from any driver, regardless of who the driver is. When I saw the "results" of the poll, I was surprised to see that (at the time I put in my vote, anyway), 71% of the respondents actually thought it was right that Matt crashed Joey's car. I was stunned to read that.

And now with what you shared about some additional issues going on with Danica and David, I'm really hoping that NASCAR makes a firm decision to stop unsportsmanlike behavior on and off the track.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
@wdwfan4ver , all I can say is that it's a good thing there's only 3 races left in the Chase. I know that tempers flare toward the end of the season, but all that's going on now is just crazy. I don't follow the behind-the-scenes information that closely, but yesterday I did see some of the film clip showing Joey's father making his way through the crowd, absolutely infuriated by what happened on the track. I can understand his father's frustration, but as you said, Joey is a young, capable man; he's 25 now, and his dad should step back and let his son handle his own business.

I was reading a few web sites last night about the race, and there was a poll on one of them. The question asked was if Matt Kenseth did the right or wrong thing by crashing Joey Logano into the wall. I voted that Matt did the wrong thing by intentionally wrecking Joey's car, as I don't approve of that behavior from any driver, regardless of who the driver is. When I saw the "results" of the poll, I was surprised to see that (at the time I put in my vote, anyway), 71% of the respondents actually thought it was right that Matt crashed Joey's car. I was stunned to read that.

And now with what you shared about some additional issues going on with Danica and David, I'm really hoping that NASCAR makes a firm decision to stop unsportsmanlike behavior on and off the track.
While I don't condone the behavior, it was retribution for Logano wrecking Kenseth at Kansas at eliminating him from the Chase.

wdwfan4ver

I honestly think there is a hypocrite on the 3 person appeal board for Matt's first appeal and shouldn't be on any appeals board anyway. My reason is one of the people on the board is the operator of Bowman Gray Stadium. While the track is known for filled stands, the operator shouldn't be on the appeals board when the race track he runs is known as the wild wild west of race tracks.

The reason I call Bowman Gray Stadium the wild wild west is because drivers are allowed to race for revenge to their hearts out without banning a driver to do so. That Race track even was part of reality tv show. What I read is the reality tv show actually shows drivers trying to take each other out not for wins, but for revenge.

That 1/4th of a mile track doesn't have safer barriers based on what I saw on youtube in the past. That race track also had drivers arrested in the past, but are allowed race there again after that. The reason the track is always filled with fans is they actually like seeing drivers wreck each for revenge and drivers get arrested on the track.

What I describe about Bowman Gray Stadium is why I don't the operator of the track should be one of the 3 people on the first appeal board.

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

While I don't condone the behavior, it was retribution for Logano wrecking Kenseth at Kansas at eliminating him from the Chase.
True, but it was more than that. Joey actually egged on Matt Kenseth by break checking him at Talladega and how Joey handled the incident off the track. I know drivers like Denny Hamlin, Jeff Gordon, and Dale Jr. had a problem with how Joey handled the incident with Kenseth.

The other thing I look at is Brain France practically dared Matt Kenseth to retaliate for what Logano did to him at Kansas with his "quintessential NASCAR" comments.

I am not saying Matt shouldn't be punished in any form including a lot of points taken away, but what I mentioned led to it more than Joey wrecking Matt Kenseth.

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
600x358.jpeg

AAA Texas 500, Texas

1. Jimmie Johnson
2. Brad Keselowski
3. Kevin Harvick

wdwfan4ver

I read that NASCAR is considering doing a Chase Scenario for the trucks that would have eight contenders in a seven-race elimination where two drivers are knocked out after each three-race segment with the four teams battling for the title at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

I think NASCAR is considering the chase for the truck series due to the current ratings and the poor attendance.

My own take is NASCAR shouldn't do that for the Truck Series. The truck series this year is having a good championship battle between Erik Jones and 2 time Champion Matt Crafton with Jones leading by 17 points with 2 races to go. The other thing is that series had very close championship battles in 2011 and 2012. In 2011 and 2012, there was a 6 point difference.

The television and the attendance issue is really caused by NASCAR themselves in terms of the scheduling although having most of the races of Foxsports 1 doesn't help. What happened was after 2011, NASCAR cut down the amount of races from 25 to 22 for 2012. It is now up to 23. The problem with the Scheduling is the amount races before May. In February of this year, the truck had 2 races. The problem is that series didn't get a race between Feb 28th this year to March 28th this year. The Truck Series after March 28th didn't get another race before May 8th of this year. The solution to the gap between races is by adding 2 or 3 more with them being at short tracks or road courses.

The other thing with the scheduling with the truck series is doing head scratching things like going to Las Vegas Speedway in October without being a companion race to another major racing series for the that weekend. The attendance looked poor to put it mildly. When the Truck series isn't with the Xfinity, Indycar, or the Cup Cars, they need do do stuff like road courses, short tracks or even add a 2nd dirt track. The Nature of the truck series is one that the series actually can go to smaller tracks than the cup cars can like South Boston Speedway. I brought up a 2nd dirt track race due to Tony Stewart's track Eldora Speedway has been selling out each truck series dirt race it ran.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I read that NASCAR is considering doing a Chase Scenario for the trucks that would have eight contenders in a seven-race elimination where two drivers are knocked out after each three-race segment with the four teams battling for the title at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

I think NASCAR is considering the chase for the truck series due to the current ratings and the poor attendance.

My own take is NASCAR shouldn't do that for the Truck Series. The truck series this year is having a good championship battle between Erik Jones and 2 time Champion Matt Crafton with Jones leading by 17 points with 2 races to go. The other thing is that series had very close championship battles in 2011 and 2012. In 2011 and 2012, there was a 6 point difference.

The television and the attendance issue is really caused by NASCAR themselves in terms of the scheduling although having most of the races of Foxsports 1 doesn't help. What happened was after 2011, NASCAR cut down the amount of races from 25 to 22 for 2012. It is now up to 23. The problem with the Scheduling is the amount races before May. In February of this year, the truck had 2 races. The problem is that series didn't get a race between Feb 28th this year to March 28th this year. The Truck Series after March 28th didn't get another race before May 8th of this year. The solution to the gap between races is by adding 2 or 3 more with them being at short tracks or road courses.

The other thing with the scheduling with the truck series is doing head scratching things like going to Las Vegas Speedway in October without being a companion race to another major racing series for the that weekend. The attendance looked poor to put it mildly. When the Truck series isn't with the Xfinity, Indycar, or the Cup Cars, they need do do stuff like road courses, short tracks or even add a 2nd dirt track. The Nature of the truck series is one that the series actually can go to smaller tracks than the cup cars can like South Boston Speedway. I brought up a 2nd dirt track race due to Tony Stewart's track Eldora Speedway has been selling out each truck series dirt race it ran.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some interesting racing by not watching the Truck Series; but as it is, I have limited time to watch even the regular NASCAR (car) races. Does the Truck Series attract the same, or a different, fan base as the car series? I'm wondering if there are two distinct groups of fans.

One thing that has been irritating this season is the lack of consistency in the networks carrying the races each week. The channels are all over the place this season; and unless I go to the NASCAR site to find out which channel is broadcasting on any particular weekend, I've sometimes missed races completely.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
I'm sure I'm missing out on some interesting racing by not watching the Truck Series; but as it is, I have limited time to watch even the regular NASCAR (car) races. Does the Truck Series attract the same, or a different, fan base as the car series? I'm wondering if there are two distinct groups of fans.

One thing that has been irritating this season is the lack of consistency in the networks carrying the races each week. The channels are all over the place this season; and unless I go to the NASCAR site to find out which channel is broadcasting on any particular weekend, I've sometimes missed races completely.
At the beginning of the season I print a copy of the schedule from NASCAR.com. It has the broadcast channels on it. I don't get NBCSN so I'm always going somewhere else to watch those races. I wish more races were on more predominant channels because of the saying "out of sight, out of mind".

wdwfan4ver

I am not 100 percent sure about the fanbase, but I assume it is the same as the cars series. I am going by that since Truck series really can't be called a senior tour of sorts anymore. The age of most of the drivers tell me that the fanbase came from the regional tracks and car series. That in return means the fanbase would also be going to the Xfinity or the cup series also.

In the 1995 to 2009 time period, that series had a lot of older drivers in the series. While Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle, and Kyle Busch got their top 3 NASCAR series start in the truck series back in the 1990's or early, there were the exception to the rule in terms turning into cup series stars from that era. It is the same with Carl Edwards and Denny Hamlin in the mid 2000's.

A lot of the truck series drivers back in the 1990's to around 2009 had drivers that were ex cup drivers, ex Busch Series drivers, or drivers who never got a shot from the cup or Busch series side due the region they raced in.

The truck series since 2009 or 2010 actually gotten younger. The truck series is more of a development series now for the most part and I assume a different fanbase as a result.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I am not 100 percent sure about the fanbase, but I assume it is the same as the cars series. I am going by that since Truck series really can't be called a senior tour of sorts anymore. The age of most of the drivers tell me that the fanbase came from the regional tracks and car series. That in return means the fanbase would also be going to the Xfinity or the cup series also.

In the 1995 to 2009 time period, that series had a lot of older drivers in the series. While Kevin Harvick, Kurt Busch, Greg Biffle, and Kyle Busch got their top 3 NASCAR series start in the truck series back in the 1990's or early, there were the exception to the rule in terms turning into cup series stars from that era. It is the same with Carl Edwards and Denny Hamlin in the mid 2000's.

A lot of the truck series drivers back in the 1990's to around 2009 had drivers that were ex cup drivers, ex Busch Series drivers, or drivers who never got a shot from the cup or Busch series side due the region they raced in.

The truck series since 2009 or 2010 actually gotten younger. The truck series is more of a development series now for the most part and I assume a different fanbase as a result.

Those were some interesting facts and observations.

From my own very limited understanding of the truck racers, I believe that even the great, Mark Martin also raced trucks prior to his NASCAR stock car racing career. I thought that the truck racers were in training (so to speak) for eventual openings in the NASCAR, car driver spots. I don't know about the difference in track speeds between the two of them, but I would assume that the cars were probably faster. Hence, in that sense, it would be a logical progression from racing the trucks, and then moving up to the even faster NASCAR race cars.

wdwfan4ver

Those were some interesting facts and observations.

From my own very limited understanding of the truck racers, I believe that even the great, Mark Martin also raced trucks prior to his NASCAR stock car racing career. I thought that the truck racers were in training (so to speak) for eventual openings in the NASCAR, car driver spots. I don't know about the difference in track speeds between the two of them, but I would assume that the cars were probably faster. Hence, in that sense, it would be a logical progression from racing the trucks, and then moving up to the even faster NASCAR race cars.
I don't think Mark did trucks before his prior to his NASCAR Career since NASCAR didn't have the Truck series before 1995 and didn't recall reading anything on Mark racing in trucks in any racing series before 1996. What I do know about Mark Martin's career before NASCAR is he was youngest driver ever to be an ASA champion. He was 19 in 1978. ASA had a stock car division that went on short tracks with Milwaukee Mile being the biggest track they went on I believe. I don't know about the cars in ASA back in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I am guessing the horsepower is lower the cup cars in that time. In ASA, Mark learned from the masters at Short Track racing including the late legendary Dick Trickle. Dick Trickle owns the record of most stock car wins ever with over 1,200. The only reason Dick Trickle never got a cup win is because he went to the series way too late in career with mediocre or bad teams.

What I know the trucks is they are indeed slower than cup cars even before NASCAR had the dumb idea of putting on a tapered spacer for the trucks. The speed of the tracks were so slow that when they first went to Daytona, they didn't need a restrictor plate.

Last edited:

artvandelay

Anticlimactic finish to last night's race, but I understand why they ended it. I would of loved to see how aggressive Logano would of been with Junior on the restart.

On to Homestead and I think the favorite to win it all is Kevin Harvick. I'm pulling for Gordon, but his car at 1.5 mile tracks doesn't have the speed that Harvick has.

Roush is now a lower level team. Not sure if it's their cars, management, or drivers but they can't compete with HMS, JGR, SHR, and RCR. I think Gnassi and Furniture Row are way ahead of Roush. Next year could be even worse for Roush with Bowyer going to the 51 car and Petty replacing Hornish, Jr. with, hopefully, a better driver.

wdwfan4ver

Anticlimactic finish to last night's race, but I understand why they ended it. I would of loved to see how aggressive Logano would of been with Junior on the restart.

On to Homestead and I think the favorite to win it all is Kevin Harvick. I'm pulling for Gordon, but his car at 1.5 mile tracks doesn't have the speed that Harvick has.

Roush is now a lower level team. Not sure if it's their cars, management, or drivers but they can't compete with HMS, JGR, SHR, and RCR. I think Gnassi and Furniture Row are way ahead of Roush. Next year could be even worse for Roush with Bowyer going to the 51 car and Petty replacing Hornish, Jr. with, hopefully, a better driver.
The rumor is Petty the top 2 drivers Petty is looking at is David Ragan, and Chris Buescher. I think David Ragan would be a bad fit. David tends to underachieve in the equipment he's in like he did at Roush. David is at his best at plate tracks, but that's only 4 races a year unlike around 2040. I mention 2040 because I think Michigan International Speedway got repaved 2013 and I think the next repaving would force NASCAR to do something more than a tapered spacer.

I think Chris Buescher would be a good choice, but I think Roush wouldn't allow Chris to go there.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm going to go out on a limb here well ahead of Homestead, but my top two choices for the Chase winner are:

1. Kevin Harvick, # 4 Chevrolet
2. Jeff Gordon # 24 Chevrolet

I'm torn between the # 4 and # 24, especially since it would be great in Jeff Gordon's last year of racing to see him win this. I really like him. However, I've also been a big fan of Kevin Harvick for a few years now. So I guess I've got to make a decision here, and if only one can win, my pick (by a slight margin) will be Kevin Harvick.

What do the rest of you think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom