NASCAR 2014

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
Nancy Grace is talking about the Tony Stewart case and making him out to be a vengeful blood-thirsty ba***rd behind the wheel who "mowed that poor young man over with his car". :rolleyes: Geoff Bodine was on the phoneline telling her she didn't know what she was talking about. Interestingly, I didn't know they are saying that young boy grabbed the wing of Tony's car as he passed.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I never follow the truck series, but it's important to note (I just read the NASCAR headlines this morning) that yesterday in Louden, NH, Cole Custer, a 16-year-old, won the race!! :jawdrop: He led 148 of the 175 laps.

Last edited:

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
I never follow the truck series, but it's important to note (I just read the NASCAR headlines this morning) that yesterday in Louden, NH, Cole Custer, a 16-year-old, won the race!! :jawdrop: He led 148 of the 175 laps.
That doesn't surprise me. They are getting younger every day. There was a Nationwide driver (although his name escapes me) that raced Friday night and did very well. Then on Saturday he went to his prom.

wdwfan4ver

Are the drivers getting younger, or are we all just getting older? o_O :p
The drivers are getting younger. NASCAR changed the age limit of the truck series from 18 to 16 years old last year and are allowed to race tracks that are a mile and less and road courses. The age change was because Tobacco companies are no longer allowed to sponsor races.

NASCAR actually made the rule 18 years old in 2002 because a truck series event in 2001 that involved Kyle Busch. Kyle Busch was a development driver for Jack Roush and Kyle was going to race full time in the truck series before the rule change for 2002 matter of fact. Kyle actually graduated from High School School a year early in 2002.

Kyle Busch wasn't allowed to due the truck race back in 2001 allowed because the CART/FedEx (now part of Indycar) race was sponsored by Marlboro (the Marlboro 500). Kyle was only 16 at the time (a minor), the track promoters forbid him to run the race.

NASCAR did the 18 year old rule starting the 2002 season because tobacco companies was allowed to sponsor cars, and races in the United States.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The drivers are getting younger. NASCAR changed the age limit of the truck series from 18 to 16 years old last year and are allowed to race tracks that are a mile and less and road courses. The age change was because Tobacco companies are no longer allowed to sponsor races.

NASCAR actually made the rule 18 years old in 2002 because a truck series event in 2001 that invoWow. Thank you for that detailed background information. Probably, what I know about the rules of NASCAR is only just the tip of the iceberg, and that's why I appreciate learning from others, like yourself, who are kind enough to share interesting facts. lved Kyle Busch. Kyle Busch was a driver development driver for Jack Roush and Kyle was going to race full time in the truck series before the rule change for 2002 matter of fact. Kyle actually graduated High School a year early in 2002.

Kyle Busch wasn't allowed to due the truck race back in 2001 allowed because the CART/FedEx (now part of Indy) race was sponsored by Marlboro (the Marlboro 500). Kyle was only 16 at the time (a minor), the track promoters forbid him to run the race.

NASCAR did the 18 year old rule starting the 2002 season because tobacco companies was allowed to sponsor cars, and races in the United States.

Wow. :) Thank you for that detailed, background information. Probably, what I know about the rules of NASCAR is only just the tip of the iceberg, and that's why I appreciate learning from others, like yourself, who are kind enough to share interesting facts. It's amazing what we all learn on the WDW Magic forums!

MinnieM123

Premium Member

Thank you, Clamman, for sharing this update. When this story originally was aired, I was unsure how I felt; I wanted to wait and see what the authorities and Grand Jury decided. I feel better now knowing Tony won't be charged. It's just a tragic situation that a driver lost his life at such a young age. It's really sad.

wdwfan4ver

Why in the world would you think you can be high and drive a race car??? So glad for Tony.
What makes this worse is the racing series Kevin Ward Jr. raced in actually doesn't drug testing unlike NASCAR or Indycar. There actually is a history drivers racing high on drugs.

NASCAR before having Random drug testing actually had drivers racing high on drugs without NASCAR knowing it.

Aaron Fike admitted that he finished in the top 5 in a truck series race back in 2006 while high on heroin. Lets say NASCAR decided that their old drug policy of drug testing people only there is a suspicion of them doing going drugs wasn't working.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
What makes this worse is the racing series Kevin Ward Jr. raced in actually doesn't drug testing unlike NASCAR or Indycar. There actually is a history drivers racing high on drugs.

NASCAR before having Random drug testing actually had drivers racing high on drugs without NASCAR knowing it.

Aaron Fike admitted that he finished in the top 5 in a truck series race back in 2006 while high on heroin. Lets say NASCAR decided that their old drug policy of drug testing people only there is a suspicion of them doing going drugs wasn't working.

I'm astonished to read about the history of some of those drivers, from the non-Sprint and/or non-Nationwide racing groups. I was clueless that this ever went on. It takes so much skill and endurance to drive a racing car, that I can't even imagine any one of those guys in those other series of racing, getting high and driving. This is disappointing to read, as I've always admired racers for their driving skills, at such insanely high speeds. (I only drive a little, and it's only to my local grocery store and a few other places in my area. I never go fast, and I can't even parallel park my compact car! :rolleyes: :) )

It's a good thing that NASCAR does those random tests, and that policy perhaps should extend to all levels of racing. The sport is not without its danger, and impaired drivers are creating more of a hazard to themselves and others. As is the case with situations like this, I am sure that the offenders are actually very small in the overall number; and the dedicated, skilled and decent racing car drivers, would well outnumber a few bad apples.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
AAA 400, Dover

1. Jeff Gordon
2. Brad Keselowski
3. Jimmy Johnson

Kurt Busch, AJ Allmendinger, Aric Almirola and Greg Biffle are out of the Chase.

Kudos to the # 24 for the win today. I watched some of the post-race interviews with some of the racers you listed above, who were out of the Chase. (Big disappointment for those guys; my heart went out to them.)

artvandelay

AAA 400, Dover

1. Jeff Gordon
2. Brad Keselowski
3. Jimmy Johnson

Kurt Busch, AJ Allmendinger, Aric Almirola and Greg Biffle are out of the Chase.
It's still early in the Chase(7 races left, including the nightmare at Talladega), but it's looking like it's the Penske cars vs. the Hendrick cars and Harvick for the championship. That group is qualifying well, leading races and winning. The Gibbs cars lack the horsepower to compete and Rousch Fenway cars are barely holding on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom