NASCAR 2014

artvandelay

Coke Zero 400, Daytona

1. Aric Almirola
2. Brian Vickers
3. Kurt Busch
Huge Chase implications! Almirola's win pretty much guarantees him a spot in the Chase. That knocks out one of the winless drivers in the top 16. Currently winless is Chase regulars Kenseth, Bowyer, Biffle, Stewart. Also, Marcos Ambrose is very good at Watkins Glen. A win there for him would put him into the Chase and knock out another winless driver.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
Huge Chase implications! Almirola's win pretty much guarantees him a spot in the Chase. That knocks out one of the winless drivers in the top 16. Currently winless is Chase regulars Kenseth, Bowyer, Biffle, Stewart. Also, Marcos Ambrose is very good at Watkins Glen. A win there for him would put him into the Chase and knock out another winless driver.
It's gonna be interesting.:geek:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The Cup race tomorrow could be the last one for Jeff Burton before he retires. If that's the case, hats off to him and the great career he's had!

One thing I appreciate about Nascar racing is the longevity of some of the drivers (such as Mark Martin, for example). Jeff Burton is 47. He's had a good run, and we can appreciate what he's contributed to the sport. Thanks for sharing that information. I'll pay more attention to him in today's race.

Speaking of today, the race is not far away; it's in a bordering state, up in Louden, New Hampshire. Forecast as of 4:55 a.m. was calling for "possible" (30%) chance of intermittent thunderstorms this afternoon. I hope this doesn't happen and we get to see a full race, without prolonged rain delays, for a change, today! ;)

artvandelay

One thing I appreciate about Nascar racing is the longevity of some of the drivers (such as Mark Martin, for example). Jeff Burton is 47. He's had a good run, and we can appreciate what he's contributed to the sport. Thanks for sharing that information. I'll pay more attention to him in today's race.
Unfortunately, 72 year old Morgan Sheppard took out Joey Logano while he was in second place. Logano was not very happy.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The 2 car is so much faster than the rest of the field. They've hit on something and the other teams are playing catch up.

Is the 2 car peaking too early?

The 48 finished 42nd for the second week in a row.

I was baffled about Jimmy's rear tire problems. Twice in one race? In the days to come, I'll bet there will be a lot more discussion about this between the Goodyear people and Jeff's crew. They're both pointing fingers at each other . . .

artvandelay

I was baffled about Jimmy's rear tire problems. Twice in one race? In the days to come, I'll bet there will be a lot more discussion about this between the Goodyear people and Jeff's crew. They're both pointing fingers at each other . . .
Denny Hamlin was on his radio before the race saying he thought the 48 had a tire that was very low. Hamlin was right. Jimmie and Chad insist they their pressures were right, but were they trying stuff out for the New Hampshire Fall race which is a Chase race? They're locked in the Chase so they had nothing to lose.

MOXOMUMD

Original Poster
Danica and Dale Jr. were nominated for awards on the Nickelodeon Sports Kids Choice Awards tonight. Neither won but it's nice to see them get a nod.

RadiatorSpringsRacer

You know what I just realized? NASCAR and Disney Parks are almost the exact same thing in a lot of ways. I mean, really think about it.

Both were started (or at least grown) by passionate visionaries who wound up revolutionizing the industry they entered.
ctrp_0910_03_z%2Bnascar_hall_of_fame%2Bbill_france_sr.jpg
031009Walt_Hero_feature.jpg

Both endeavors started out quaint, small and down-home...
NASCAR-Moments_Pic27.jpg
img129%5B1%5D.jpg

...before experiencing tremendous growth in later decades that immortalized them in the American psyche...
day50079.png

2727173906_1925c496ae.jpg

...all while keeping the business in the family.
bill-france-jr.jpg
Roy_O._Disney_with_Company_at_Press_Conference.jpg

0_61_france_bill.jpg
220px-RoyEDisney07.jpg

And in time they hit what many now call their peak.
98daytona500winner.jpg
cover_walt-disney-world-pictorial-souvenir-1993.png

Fairly soon after, new leadership ended up coming along...
Brian-France-1.jpg
220px-BobIgerHWOFJune2013.jpg

...which discarded some traditions while implementing new and radical ideas, in a belief that things were better done another way...and continues to do so today.
(WARNING: Destruction of Horizons after this picture)

NorthWilkesboro_crop_exact.jpg
demol2.jpg

1189336264.jpg
MagicBands_packaged.jpg

Naturally a lot of fans aren't happy with this, nor are they shy about how incompetent they feel said new leadership is...
GmIKhCB.jpg
images

Last edited:

RadiatorSpringsRacer

(Continuing in a new reply due to the 20-image limit)

...or about how much better the good old days were...
1v8iijB.png
SNsvCyO.png

...or about how there's about to be a new sheriff in town in this industry, a company once seen as the perennial number two, because it's now doing everything right that the company they love is doing wrong.
1401048717000-USP-IndyCar--Indianapolis-5002.jpg

universal_hogwartsaerial.jpg

And while they can be biased about this, it'd be a mistake to say they're always wrong.
hXJbQyD.jpg

4b832840.jpg

But the company is still doing alright regardless...because in the end, although some of them may complain, there are people that believe in it deep down and simply love what it is.
nascar.jpg

food-blog-forum-2013-disney-world-orlando-florida-1.jpg

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Oh my! Those were two, very well-thought-out posts. Some of the similarities are surprising between both families and businesses, and the current course the present leadership is taking. Your powers of observation are quite amazing. I really liked the pictorial references as well! Thanks for sharing. It really made me pause here early this morning, and think about all this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom