Narcoossee's vs Cali grill

Jess G

Original Poster
I can't decide. This will be my first signature restaurant. Everyone is always hyping up CG and it is on my bucket list, but for some reason the menu at narcoossee's appeals to me so much more!

Can someone compare the 2 for me? Taking in food and overall experience?

Thanks!

DisAl

We have done both. It has been a couple of years since we were at both the same week, but when we were there Narcoosee's seemed to be a little better to us. Both were excellent, but on a ten point scale I would give CG a 9.8 and Narcoossee's a 9.9. Can't go wrong either way, but as you mentioned we like the Narcoossee's menu a little better.
We were there celebrating our 40th anniversary and did four signature restaurants that week. Narcoossee's was our favorite.

ABQ

I've taken in Narcoossee's once in in the past 3 years and Cali Grill twice. I wish it were the other way. Though the food was great at both, as was the service. I just can't seem to find many good things to say about Cali's ambiance. It was terribly loud both times. Aside from the awkward angle you are afforded to witness the fireworks from, I'd say Narcoossee's is a far better place to dine. Cali's wine list is, of course, over the top, but unless you plan to order a bottle of Screaming Eagle, I'm sure you'll find Narcoossee's just fine.

Hockey89

I've taken in Narcoossee's once in in the past 3 years and Cali Grill twice. I wish it were the other way. Though the food was great at both, as was the service. I just can't seem to find many good things to say about Cali's ambiance. It was terribly loud both times. Aside from the awkward angle you are afforded to witness the fireworks from, I'd say Narcoossee's is a far better place to dine. Cali's wine list is, of course, over the top, but unless you plan to order a bottle of Screaming Eagle, I'm sure you'll find Narcoossee's just fine.
Only one bottle of Screaming Eagle? :confused:

larandtra

My preference is easily Narcoosees. The food , imo, is much better, much more creative menu, and the atmosphere is a wash between the two. So it comes down to food and service, which I think Narcoosees wins easily. I do think CG has improved. When it opened it quickly became the place to be "seen" and in a short time it started to suffer from resting on its laurels and became more about atmosphere and who was there than food or service. The pretentiosness of it got a bit out of hand. FF to the last couple of years and the atmosphere has returned tyo its original state and both the food and service have improved. But, as far as having to make a choice, I prefer Narcoosees. But, to each their own, I say try both eventually and youll certainly prefer one or the other.

DisneyDaver

The food is great at both, but I would give the edge to CG. The food at CG ranges from very good to amazing ... there was a ravioli dish a CG a few years back that my wife said was one of the best dishes she has ever had.

The ambiance/experience is more unique at CG, especially if you stay to watch the fireworks from their balcony. The ambiance/experience Narcoosees is not that much different than great, fine dining restaurants in places other than WDW.

I would choose CG hands down if I were only picking one of them.

Jess G

Original Poster
I have 2 reservations for CG - one @ 5:00pm (i would go back for a drink and fireworks later) or an 8:50pm ... any thoughts on which I should choose

wplong1

Premium Member
Although California Grill was not as good on our last trip (February) as we had remembered it from the previous trip, it is hands down better all around than Narcoossee's in my opinion (no comparison honestly) and still excellent. CG is a bit frenetic, but the food is excellent, the wait staff in our experience have been much better, and the view is just amazing. Narcoossee's on the other hand is just average on food, average on wait staff, and not that great on view or ambiance. We are actually going to skip it altogether next time.

bee

DW and I have done CG twice and would do it again; we've done Narcoossee's once and are in no rush to go back. There was nothing wrong with Narcoossee's but to us Cali Grill had a slight edge in menu and service, and a huge advantage in atmosphere in my opinion. For a first signature I think you should go with CG for the wow factor.

Jess G

Original Poster
DW and I have done CG twice and would do it again; we've done Narcoossee's once and are in no rush to go back. There was nothing wrong with Narcoossee's but to us Cali Grill had a slight edge in menu and service, and a huge advantage in atmosphere in my opinion. For a first signature I think you should go with CG for the wow factor.

You think I should go* 5pm and go back for fireworks or go to the 8:50 (9pm fireworks) . probably won't be seated yet but I would imagine we could still go outside

Last edited:

bee

You think I should so 5pm and go back for fireworks or go to the 8:50 (9pm fireworks) . probably won't be seated yet but I would imagine we could still go outside
Hmm, either way you can't go wrong. We've done both early and late and they both have advantages. When we went around 5:30 we got to see the sunset over property near the beginning of the meal, which was an unexpected perk. When we ate at 8:45 we didn't actually see the fireworks because of rain but we would have had a perfect view if it hadn't rained. I'm sure they'd let you up to see the fireworks even if your table wasn't ready for the later reservation.

Jess G

Original Poster
Hmm, either way you can't go wrong. We've done both early and late and they both have advantages. When we went around 5:30 we got to see the sunset over property near the beginning of the meal, which was an unexpected perk. When we ate at 8:45 we didn't actually see the fireworks because of rain but we would have had a perfect view if it hadn't rained. I'm sure they'd let you up to see the fireworks even if your table wasn't ready for the later reservation.

Thinking I'm gonna do the 8:50, check in like 20 minutes early and see what happens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom