MYW Upgrade to AP Question

Cmdr_Crimson

If I purchase a 10 day MYW Ticket w/Park Hopper but, wanted to upgrade it to an AP when I arrive to the first park I go to. Would I just be paying off the remaning balance of the AP?

Rob562

If you bought the ticket from a reseller or direct from Disney before a price change, you'll want to make sure to enter a theme park first *before* you upgrade to an AP. That way you'll get full current gate price of the 10-day ticket toward the AP upgrade.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
If you bought the ticket from a reseller or direct from Disney before a price change, you'll want to make sure to enter a theme park first *before* you upgrade to an AP. That way you'll get full current gate price of the 10-day ticket toward the AP upgrade.

-Rob

That's what I was planning to do since it's using up a day. I'd rather upgrade it prior to my admission.
Also can Hotel Concierge's do the upgrade yet or does it have to be done at any park's Guest Relations like normal?

Upvote 0

Rob562

That's what I was planning to do since it's using up a day. I'd rather upgrade it prior to my admission.
Also can Hotel Concierge's do the upgrade yet or does it have to be done at any park's Guest Relations like normal?

Resorts cannot do anything with Annual Passes.

-Rob

Upvote 0

WillCAD

To clarify what Rob said earlier:

If you buy your ticket at a discount from a reseller like Undercover Tourist, and upgrade it before you use it, you only get credit for what you actually paid for it - you pay the difference between your discounted ticket price and the full price of an AP. This wipes out the savings you got by purchasing the MYW ticket from a reseller.

However, if you use one of the park days on the ticket before you upgrade it, you get credit for the full price of an undiscounted ticket. You only pay the difference between a full-price ticket and an AP. Thus, you actually save a few bucks on your AP purchase.

No problem. When I purchase the MYW Ticket online does come as a voucher to get it upgrade or do I link it to a Magic Band and then get the upgrade at Guest relations?

This depends on where you buy the MYW ticket.

If you buy the ticket directly from Disney online, you won't get a physical ticket at all; it will simply show up linked to your MDX account after the purchase goes through.

If you buy from a reseller, you'll get a physical ticket mailed to you. That physical ticket will need to be linked to your account by entering the ticket numbers.

When you upgrade at Guest Relations, you'll scan your Magic Band and the AP will automatically be linked to your account, and immediately available via your MagicBand.

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster

If you buy your ticket at a discount from a reseller like Undercover Tourist, and upgrade it before you use it, you only get credit for what you actually paid for it - you pay the difference between your discounted ticket price and the full price of an AP. This wipes out the savings you got by purchasing the MYW ticket from a reseller.

However, if you use one of the park days on the ticket before you upgrade it, you get credit for the full price of an undiscounted ticket. You only pay the difference between a full-price ticket and an AP. Thus, you actually save a few bucks on your AP purchase.

This depends on where you buy the MYW ticket.

If you buy the ticket directly from Disney online, you won't get a physical ticket at all; it will simply show up linked to your MDX account after the purchase goes through.

If you buy from a reseller, you'll get a physical ticket mailed to you. That physical ticket will need to be linked to your account by entering the ticket numbers.

When you upgrade at Guest Relations, you'll scan your Magic Band and the AP will automatically be linked to your account, and immediately available via your MagicBand.

Gotcha use up one day and then upgrade to the AP.

Upvote 0

WillCAD

Gotcha use up one day and then upgrade to the AP.

I reccommend that you enter a park on the MYW pass, then immediately exit the park and go to the Ticket Sales window to do the upgrade, so that your AP benefits take effect immediately.

Though I hate how much they've jacked up the prices of the APs, they did add a terrific new perk for Passholders - unlimited PhotoPass downloads. Any photos added to your PhotoPass account while your AP is active will expire in 365 days instead of the normal 45 days, and you can make unlimited downloads for the lifetime of your AP. It's essentially like a year-long Memory Maker, included as part of the new (more expensive) Platinum and Platinum Plus APs.

But... any photos taken before your AP is active will not be included in your unlimited downloads. They'll show up in your account - you just won't be able to download them unless you pay for them separately. You'd essentially lose one day's PhotoPass photos.

So, if you enter a park on your MYW pass and get a bunch of PhotoPass photos taken before you upgrade to an AP, those photos will not be included in your unlimited downloads. However, if you enter on the MYW pass, then immediately leave the park and upgrade to an AP, any PhotoPass photos taken after your AP is active will be included in the unlimited downloads.

I know this could be a pain, especially if your first park day includes arriving at rope drop - you'll have to stand in line to get into the park, then exit and stand in line at Ticket Sales, then stand in line to get into the park again.If you don't use PhotoPass much, it won't be a big deal to wait until later in the day to do the upgrade. But if you always stop on Main Street or in front of Spaceship Earth or at the Tree of Life to get your photo taken, you'll want to make the extra effort to get your AP activated right away, before you have any photos taken.

So plan that first park day carefully!

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
I reccommend that you enter a park on the MYW pass, then immediately exit the park and go to the Ticket Sales window to do the upgrade, so that your AP benefits take effect immediately.

Oh, I won't be there until mid-day at the latest..Epcot is my Priority first park.:D

What about Guest Relations Within the park? If I go into to the park and then head here...
DSC03035-560x373.jpg

Rather than the one outside the gate..
DSC03984-560x373.jpg

Could it be upgraded like that??

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

To clarify this even further. If you buy it from a reseller like UT, and upgrade it before use, you only get what UT paid for it. WDW has no way of knowing what you paid UT for the ticket, they only know what UT paid for it. So upgrading a ticket from a reseller before using it once actually ends up costing you more money than if you just bought the AP. But using the ticket at least once should net you savings of a few bucks. Just make sure to know what the numbers should be, not every CM will "bridge" the ticket correctly. (I suggest using the term bridge, and not upgrade just to make sure they know what you want done.) If the price they quote you is more than what you think it should be, have the CM double check their math or get a supervisor if needed.

Upvote 0

Rob562

To clarify this even further. If you buy it from a reseller like UT, and upgrade it before use, you only get what UT paid for it. WDW has no way of knowing what you paid UT for the ticket, they only know what UT paid for it. So upgrading a ticket from a reseller before using it once actually ends up costing you more money than if you just bought the AP. But using the ticket at least once should net you savings of a few bucks. Just make sure to know what the numbers should be, not every CM will "bridge" the ticket correctly. (I suggest using the term bridge, and not upgrade just to make sure they know what you want done.) If the price they quote you is more than what you think it should be, have the CM double check their math or get a supervisor if needed.

Yup. The trick is to find a ticket from a reseller that gives the greatest discount of it's *own* gate price, while still having a gate price *below* the cost of an AP. (It sounds like a challenge on "Price is Right"...)

A couple years ago I bought a ticket specifically to upgrade into an AP. My best deal was something like an 8-day Hopper with No Expiration. I saved about $45 off the price of the 8-day ticket. Then when I upgraded it, I paid the difference between the gate price of that 8-day ticket with its options and the gate price of a new AP, which worked out to be $4 plus change.

-Rob

Upvote 0

WillCAD

Yes, Guest Relations inside the park can handle the upgrade, as can any ticket window.

-Rob

Hm. I was under the impression that Guest Relations inside the park couldn't handle AP upgrades. You learn something new every day, I guess. It'll certainly be easier for Cmdr_Crimson to upgrade inside the park than to leave and return.

Upvote 0

Rob562

Hm. I was under the impression that Guest Relations inside the park couldn't handle AP upgrades. You learn something new every day, I guess. It'll certainly be easier for Cmdr_Crimson to upgrade inside the park than to leave and return.

Hmmm... I'm trying to think whether I've actually upgraded at an AP inside the park. I know that *resort* Guest Services can't do anything with AP's. I've also gotten the new year's AP booklet at GR inside the park, so they have the materials to do it...

I know when I did the most recent time it was at GR outside the MK, but that was more a requirement of not wanting to leave my friend waiting for me outside the park because it was our arrival day and he didn't have a park ticket for that day. (We were on our way to dinner at 'Ohana, and I wanted my TiW card for the meal)

So I'll be honest and say I can't 100% recall that I've done the AP upgrade inside, but that I don't see why they couldn't... :)

-Rob

Upvote 0

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Yup. The trick is to find a ticket from a reseller that gives the greatest discount of it's *own* gate price, while still having a gate price *below* the cost of an AP. (It sounds like a challenge on "Price is Right"...)

A couple years ago I bought a ticket specifically to upgrade into an AP. My best deal was something like an 8-day Hopper with No Expiration. I saved about $45 off the price of the 8-day ticket. Then when I upgraded it, I paid the difference between the gate price of that 8-day ticket with its options and the gate price of a new AP, which worked out to be $4 plus change.

-Rob

I did have the other option and that was through AAA with a 10 day MYW w/PH it came to $445 and with what I'd need to upgrade gave me $352 left to owe..Where as it's $11 more through Disney...So I'm trying to figure if $11 off is worth to do it that way?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom