Mystic Manor at HKDL Video

ThemeParks4Life

Nice but mind not blown. Judging from the video (never the same as in peson), the level of detail is on the level of Under the Sea/little Mermaid. While I like that ride, it has been criticized for being a glorified C ticket. Mistic Manor is no Haunted Mansion or Pirates. It's got the awesome trackless system and that great final scene with the statue-samurai-monkey wizard but agian, it's mostly screens.I thought screens were the devil 'round these parts....and yes, the story is super duper thin.

I also like that it's in english. Whenever I make it over to Tokyo DL, I'm going to have a hard time enjoying myself as much as I'd like because of all the japanese speaking AA's/shows. Not my cup of tea.

There's not a whole lot of screens, it's mosty AA based. The story makes perfect sense to me, it's short and simple. This is NOT TLM.

Mickey_777

There's not a whole lot of screens, it's mosty AA based. The story makes perfect sense to me, it's short and simple. This is NOT TLM.

Depends of who you ask. I think it's a lot of screens. In the pre-show, the paintings that "transform", and the grand finale. And you're right about the story being short and simple...a little too much so in my humble opinion.

GLaDOS

Depends of who you ask. I think it's a lot of screens. In the pre-show, the paintings that "transform", and the grand finale. And you're right about the story being short and simple...a little too much so in my humble opinion.

The best attractions Disney has have short and simple "stories".

Big Thunder Mountain - Runaway mine train
Haunted Mansion - Trip through haunted house
Jungle Cruise - Cruise through the Jungle
Everest - yeti attack on trip to Everest

Not really sure how this story is any worse than any of them.

Calvin Coolidge

What makes them all effective is that they aren't "stories," they're really just premises. Same, basically, with MM. A theme park ride doesn't need a story. Space Mountain doesn't have one. HM, POTC, iasw, most of the classic Disney rides pre-Eisner are story-free.

OSUPhantom

Calvin I think you brought it up first but I'd love to see this tech be used at Imagination. The mischief that a curious Figment could cause is right up there with the monkey at MM. I doubt it'll happen but one can hope.

Mickey_777

My biggest gripe really isn't the story so much although it reminds me a lot of PhilharMagic (touch what you're not supposed to, bad stuff happens, someone comes to save your butt). I've been reading reactions on a few boards, here and elsewhere, and I don't get the "they must bring this stateside" sentiment. It's nice, and I'd definitely go on it if I were in Hong Kong or some version of this were to make it to america. I just don't see anything ground breaking here and like I mentioned in my first post, the level of detail/lack there of is akin to Under the Sea/little mermaid. Mystic Manor cannot and should not be compared to or considered the new Haunted Mansion as a few have done.

ebof1023

this shows that the ability to create amazing original attractions is still alive, but i would much rather see something completly original, technilogically advanced, and exclusive to WDW be created before i would like to see this added. Each park round the world needs to have its exclusives and this should stay that way

orky8

this shows that the ability to create amazing original attractions is still alive, but i would much rather see something completly original, technilogically advanced, and exclusive to WDW be created before i would like to see this added. Each park round the world needs to have its exclusives and this should stay that way

I don't really understand this mentality. Magic Kingdom and Disneyland were largely clones of each other. What difference does it make that this ride may also exist in Hong Kong? Very few people that go do Disney World will also be going to Hong Kong. The only thing that frustrates me is we WDW supporters have to keep begging to get the cloned rides. Every park should be cloning the new attractions from WDW, the supposed flagship park (HA!), not the other way around.

It makes perfect and logical sense from a financial persepective to clone rides -- I don't begrudge Disney that. What angers me is that WDW gets no love because people flock no matter what shape the park is in and not matter how stale the attractions are.

MarkTwain

Although the potential for a clone is appealing, don't forget that Hong Kong Disneyland was, until recently, one of the most financially unprofitable Disney parks in the world, and had almost NO unique attractions (did it have ANY unique attractions on opening day?). They need this ride as a draw for their resort far more than Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom does. Not to mention that I think many of the rides in HKDL's current expansion have a clause that ensures they won't be duplicated for several years.

IMO, the really interesting part of this ride is all the implications. So this is what a 21st dark ride, without speed and thrills, can be like. We now know that Disney can in fact turn out an outstanding original, non-franchise ride concept (which I believe was also a stipulation of the terms with HKDL for its expansion. Can we get such an agreement for WDW attractions, please?). The fact that the ride invites a direct comparison with the 60s/70s era Haunted Mansions does an especially good job of highlighting the potential of modern attraction technologies.

It's refreshing to see that projections and AAs can be combined in ways more smoothly than on TLM, and that in many ways their combination can be superior to the use of AAs alone (something TLM didn't convince me). I was also pleased to see that the LPS trackless/system can be utilized in a more intimate ride environment, since I thought many of the rooms in Pooh (from video) looked a little cavernous to be useful in a wide variety of dark ride styles. This video shows that they are much more versatile.

So now that we know the potentials, put them to use! Don't just give us Mystic Manor, give us our Incredibles or Imagination trackless ride! Or create a Star Wars dark ride that blends AA and projections as seamlessly. Or better yet, use all of the above to create a new concept entirely.

lazyboy97o

We now know that Disney can in fact turn out an outstanding original, non-franchise ride concept (which I believe was also a stipulation of the terms with HKDL for its expansion. Can we get such an agreement for WDW attractions, please?).
Because Disney essentially screwed over the Government of Hong Kong in the initial build out of the park, the Government essentially demanded that Disney add more at their own cost instead of splitting the costs as originally planned for additions. The exclusivity agreements are less about Walt Disney World and far more about Shanghai Disneyland. Since it was announced, there has been a concern that Hong Kong Disneyland was just a jumping pad that would be largely forgotten when Shanghai Disneyland opened.

erasure fan1

Nice but mind not blown. Judging from the video (never the same as in peson), the level of detail is on the level of Under the Sea/little Mermaid. While I like that ride, it has been criticized for being a glorified C ticket. Mistic Manor is no Haunted Mansion or Pirates. It's got the awesome trackless system and that great final scene with the statue-samurai-monkey wizard but agian, it's mostly screens.I thought screens were the devil 'round these parts....and yes, the story is super duper thin.
I also like that it's in english. Whenever I make it over to Tokyo DL, I'm going to have a hard time enjoying myself as much as I'd like because of all the japanese speaking AA's/shows. Not my cup of tea.
As I watched the video that is the one thing that jumped out at me, too many screens. The ride did incorporate the screens very well, they just used too many of them for my taste. So I do agree with you that it was cool but not mind blowing. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing the ride concept/system used in something for the studios or AK.

misterID

Although the potential for a clone is appealing, don't forget that Hong Kong Disneyland was, until recently, one of the most financially unprofitable Disney parks in the world, and had almost NO unique attractions (did it have ANY unique attractions on opening day?). They need this ride as a draw for their resort far more than Animal Kingdom or Magic Kingdom does. Not to mention that I think many of the rides in HKDL's current expansion have a clause that ensures they won't be duplicated for several years.

IMO, the really interesting part of this ride is all the implications. So this is what a 21st dark ride, without speed and thrills, can be like. We now know that Disney can in fact turn out an outstanding original, non-franchise ride concept (which I believe was also a stipulation of the terms with HKDL for its expansion. Can we get such an agreement for WDW attractions, please?). The fact that the ride invites a direct comparison with the 60s/70s era Haunted Mansions does an especially good job of highlighting the potential of modern attraction technologies.

It's refreshing to see that projections and AAs can be combined in ways more smoothly than on TLM, and that in many ways their combination can be superior to the use of AAs alone (something TLM didn't convince me). I was also pleased to see that the LPS trackless/system can be utilized in a more intimate ride environment, since I thought many of the rooms in Pooh (from video) looked a little cavernous to be useful in a wide variety of dark ride styles. This video shows that they are much more versatile.

So now that we know the potentials, put them to use! Don't just give us Mystic Manor, give us our Incredibles or Imagination trackless ride! Or create a Star Wars dark ride that blends AA and projections as seamlessly. Or better yet, use all of the above to create a new concept entirely.

I would say that it will be cloned stateside at some point. TWDC loves clones (people are going to have to accept that), the exclusive tag exires five years from the day it officially opens, and by that time some new blood is going to come into WDW and will see what a chuck UNI has taken out of the gate and the resorts and AK will still have about 7 rides in the park with nothing else planned. It'll be the best and easiest way to quickly respond.

Bairstow

Did anyone else catch this Haunted Mansion cameo?

Not to mention:

Image credit: http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/

meduslow.gif

GiveMeTheMusic

With the large expansion of HKDL, the redo of DCA and upcoming Ratatouille mini-land at WDS, I have to say, it is impressive that Iger and Co. have worked hard on three least-liked parks in the world. They have a giant blind spot when it comes to WDW, but for guests of other parks worldwide, there's a lot of new stuff to love.

I LOVE this new attraction and need someone to go buy me all the Albert merch available stat.

lazyboy97o

With the large expansion of HKDL, the redo of DCA and upcoming Ratatouille mini-land at WDS, I have to say, it is impressive that Iger and Co. have worked hard on three least-liked parks in the world. They have a giant blind spot when it comes to WDW, but for guests of other parks worldwide, there's a lot of new stuff to love.
The Government of Hong Kong essentially demanded the expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland because they felt ripped off by the initial build out of the park.

The grand project for Disney's California Adventure was announced before Disney wanted in order to convince the City of Anaheim not to rezone portions of the Anaheim Resort District. Since then the Phase II has become largely forgotten.

There has been no grand infusion of cash into Walt Disney Studios Park. The Walt Disney Company purchased Euro Disney SCA's debt, but the debt situation needed massive changes and Disney had poked around other means of not being the ones to pay the cash up front.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom