Mystery Project at Epcot

andysol

Am I the only one who things that Soarin is fine the way it is and doesnt need a new film?

(Beyond needing digital projectors)

Right now, yes- you're the only one who thinks Soarin' doesn't need a new film. Everyone thinks it needs a new one. However; once the new film is released, everyone will say they wish they had the old film back and start webpages on how they need to bring back the original.

I think that's the general consensus on changes.

Bing Bong

Eh, they're both pretty dated and meh. I'd even say Kabaret was dated the day it opened, Bonnie was some Uncanny Valley horror, and I don't even know what the heck they were trying to do with the dairy products. And Food Rocks of course was a classic case of "Disney trying too hard to be hip and failing" in addition to the lacklust production values. They both have their moments, but I kinda feel like that focus on food should be something the pavilion should move on from. Expand on the environmental stuff, maybe bring in a variant of Stormrider from Tokyo and add weather as a subtheme.
I cannot tell you how sick and tired I am of hearing someone say they should bring Stormrider to Epcot... It's been 14 years people... It's not happening. Also can we please not have anymore simulators at Epcot, and more real attractions.

Donald Razorduck

Soarin' needs a new version.

Back to Walmart. I remember when Coca Cola was still mainly an association of small bottlers. The bottler in Jonesboro Ar. Would never agree to Walmart's price demands and Walmarts in that bottler's region didn't Have it. Bottlers were fanatics about contracts that you entered with them for the right to reserve certain times for ad promotions like the 4th of July or Labor Day. If you entered into their deal, you got better pricing. Chip companies that ran routes like Frito Lay's and Golden bargining for shelf space as well. But, that issue with local bottler's led to Sam' Choice soft drinks. Milk routes were the same way. Nabisco and Keebler both ran routes and negotiated shelf space. So let's not act shocked that folks pay for shelf space at walmart.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Right now, yes- you're the only one who thinks Soarin' doesn't need a new film. Everyone thinks it needs a new one. However; once the new film is released, everyone will say they wish they had the old film back and start webpages on how they need to bring back the original.

I think that's the general consensus on changes.

Do most people want a new film, or just a clean version of the current film? This seems to be the biggest complain with Soarin at the moment, the file quality.

FigmentJedi

Saying Kitchen Kabaret was dated is kind of like saying that The Hoop-Dee-Doo Review is dated because it is doing a show based on a past style of theater/entertainment. It was an homage to cabaret, so in that way it was dated, because cabaret was most popular during the 20s-50s. The mix of different songs/acts was straight up cabaret, and IMO was relatively timeless. What killed it was sponsor and changing food guidelines (but mostly sponsor). The style was timeless though IMO.

And don't worry about what the bad poster said Bonnie, my love, you'll always be a hottie to me!
bonnie.jpg
An homage to cabaret just feels kinda weird in Epcot though. Just like how out of place Astuter Computer Revue was. It works fine in Magic Kingdom though.

Also, I'd say Bonnie looks better in concept art and coloring books.

tumblr_nloeiui2LM1sa3t1go1_540.jpg

tumblr_nijjmpqMKN1sa3t1go4_540.jpg

Something about the animatronic's sculpt just seems a little off to me. Like she's gonna jump scare some Let's Players in a virtual pizza restaurant.
tumblr_ndkhbnAzi51tlp9eno5_400.jpg

tumblr_ndkhbnAzi51tlp9eno6_540.jpg

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
An homage to cabaret just feels kinda weird in Epcot though. Just like how out of place Astuter Computer Revue was. It works fine in Magic Kingdom though.
I thought it fit well because of the topic. It was just the method for how they presented very Epcot-y material. It's not like Nemo, a really bad faux-book-report style dark ride that has nothing to do with the pavilion it represents.
But that is all my opinion as a massive KK fanboi who listens to the soundtrack on his commute, makes his own Fiesta Fruit T-shirts, and in general, loves this attraction more than probably 99.9999% of the Disney Fan Population, so my opinion is highly biased.

FigmentJedi

I thought it fit well because of the topic. It was just the method for how they presented very Epcot-y material. It's not like Nemo, a really bad faux-book-report style dark ride that has nothing to do with the pavilion it represents.
But that is all my opinion as a massive KK fanboi who listens to the soundtrack on his commute, makes his own Fiesta Fruit T-shirts, and in general, loves this attraction more than probably 99.9999% of the Disney Fan Population, so my opinion is highly biased.
Fair enough. Also, as someone who revived a longtime obsession with Tapestry over the last couple months and actually built my own Aztec Man for a local comic-con, I feel ya.

Bing Bong

Soarin' needs a new version.

Back to Walmart. I remember when Coca Cola was still mainly an association of small bottlers. The bottler in Jonesboro Ar. Would never agree to Walmart's price demands and Walmarts in that bottler's region didn't Have it. Bottlers were fanatics about contracts that you entered with them for the right to reserve certain times for ad promotions like the 4th of July or Labor Day. If you entered into their deal, you got better pricing. Chip companies that ran routes like Frito Lay's and Golden bargining for shelf space as well. But, that issue with local bottler's led to Sam' Choice soft drinks. Milk routes were the same way. Nabisco and Keebler both ran routes and negotiated shelf space. So let's not act shocked that folks pay for shelf space at walmart.
tumblr_n8e8hupoyY1tns60bo1_500.gif

Like.... what?

tribbleorlfl

Today they'd have to update it every year to catch the latest dietary trend. Evil Mr. Gluten is taking over the theater. The poisonous Dr. Peanut and his sidekick Lactose would have an act. Paleo the Caveman would swing in, etc. Then 2 years from now those would all be irrelevant and it would be on to whatever the newest Food Babe-led anti-science mumbo jumbo was ruling the day.
Zing! You have my respect.

Launchpad McQuack

As much as I'd miss the current scents, score and Puddy, I'd like to see a new film.

I don't think we should automatically assume Patrick Warburton would be gone. He could just be in the new intro. If not him, then I wouldn't be surprised if another B-lister from a popular show appeared.

RSoxNo1

Yeah, there is nothing in his part of the video that ties it to the California theme, so even if they changed the movie they could still use the same safety video.
I guess they could use the Disney World audio for DCA, "thanks for Soarin' with us." instead of "thanks for Soarin' over California with us." I wonder if he recorded any new clips for DCA because I don't believe that area is known as Condor Flats anymore.

FigmentJedi

I guess they could use the Disney World audio for DCA, "thanks for Soarin' with us." instead of "thanks for Soarin' over California with us." I wonder if he recorded any new clips for DCA because I don't believe that area is known as Condor Flats anymore.
Well we'll find out when Disneyland's Soarin' reopens in May

OSUPhantom

I was just at Epcot Monday and it hit me that for as long as I can remember Future World is essentially half functioning. Only 3 or 4 of the pavilions function in a meaningful way. I can't imagine this is lost on TDO. Universe of Energy, Imagination, Wonders of Life, and even possibly Mission:SPACE are underused and aren't visited by most park guests. I find it hard to imagine that this is viewed as an acceptable theme park model. I certainly hope that there are plans to brings these 3/4 up to speed with the rest of Future World.

Come on, is a weather pavilion too much to ask for?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom