MyMagic+ Efficiency Update

cbsav

No questions...just a thank you for sharing the experience. I'm hoping that, since it appears we are stuck with this pile of 'magic', that if enough guests, particularly experienced guests, share experiences with MM+ here that it will get into the hands of people that can make necessary changes/updates. I completely understand that so many here are unhappy with the system, and I won't disagree. However, since we know that the folks from WDW are also lurking, sharing experiences here provides a forum for us to not only get the information on the flaws into the conversation, but also allows others to learn from the experiences and hopefully be prepared for what's to come if we are also visiting during this transition. If I had to guess, there's probably not as open an opportunity to provide this detailed feedback to the MDE team via the typical WDW survey system...

Thanks, again! :)

I didn't get a survey or any questions during my vacation nor since returning. That said, I sent an email to two individuals at Disney detailing my experience both the good and the bad.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Hi everyone,

My family and I just returned from our Disney World vacation and since I started this thread based on our (poor) experience with MyMagic+ last year, I would like to give a little update as to what changes they've made to the technology that made this year's trip much more enjoyable.

First off, to recap last year's experience with the MyMagic+ technology:

-Many hours at the check-in desk upon arrival because our bands would not link up to our rooms (we had 3...big family)

-Difficulty entering the parks because my father and I share the same name and the computer recognized us as one person. So if one entered the park, the other couldn't.

-MyDisneyExperience did not function at all. We were unable to link our fastpasses to our bands, and thus every morning we would have to go to the front desk, who would administer us paper fastpasses to whatever attractions were available.

Flash-forward to last week and a lot had changed.

Perhaps we were foolish to decide to try the whole process again and expect a different result, but I have to commend Disney for making our vacation quite easy and enjoyable with MyMagic+.

Might sound like a complete 180 from last year, but based on our experience that's how we feel. And here's why:

-Check-in lasted only 25 minutes. We don't usually get theme park tickets before arriving, so check-in, even before MyMagic+, would usually take about an hour. But this time, it was efficient and effective. We linked all of our bands together so that we can make Fastpasses on the app, and our rooms were all linked together in the correct order, and there was no disruption with the same name controversy we had last year. Everyone was able to enter the parks and the rooms. All of this happened within a short window of time. Seems like that's what should happen at any hotel, especially a deluxe resort, so i'm not going to congratulate Disney for the check-in, but I will say thanks.

-MyDisneyExperience is a very cool app when it works properly. And throughout the week it worked very well. Even in the middle of August the parks seemed crowded, so at first I was nervous we wouldn't be able to get Fastpasses because the window for booking opened 2 months ago. But the only ones that were booked were the Mine Train, TSMM, Parade/Firework locations, and Frozen M&G. Other than that we were able to ride everything with FP+, and I will say, we are regular visitors in August. Usually wait-times for Soarin' around this time of year range from 60-100 minutes. I never once saw a wait-time above 60 minutes. And for other attractions as well. Aside from TSMM (avg 80 min wait) and SDMT (avg 75 min wait), none of the other attractions rose over the 60 min mark, at least when I looked at the app or was in the park. Not to say it's "proof" that FP+ helped reduce wait-times, but I would like to do more research on this over the years based on that finding.

-In all, we never waited more than 20 minutes for an attraction this year. That thought stood out to us as we finished the trip, because there was always at least one ride we couldn't get a paper FP for in the past, and had to wait in the line. And the parks still felt crowded as usual around this time of year, so despite some Orlando kids going back to school last week, the parks were still filled. Based on the Spaceship Earth chart, everyone was from either the Northeast, England, and Florida last week.

Overall we were actually impressed by the effectiveness of the app and the changes Disney had made. If anyone else had a similar experience, or not, feel free to comment below. I'm curious if we just got lucky or if this is a growing trend among families with MyMagic+. Thanks!

TRONorail12

1 year in terms of technology makes as huge difference as you can see. However, this system would have been much more efficiently rolled out if cast members were properly trained. Disney basically told CM's: "These are the awesome changes that are happening and... that's it." There has been very little and sometimes no training at all on MyMagic+. A lot of new hires are still not even trained on the system. MM+, MDX, FP+, MagicBands are all the brainchild of "techies" trying to make a difference in the company and build up their resume. However, being tech savvy was not a requirement when cast members were hired into the company. CM's are extremely limited when it comes to fixing IT related issues. Before, it was simple. If there was an error with something, CM's could fix it easily in the computer and that was it. Now Magic Bands throw a curveball to the equation. Not only do CM's have to fix situations in individual computer programs for dining, tickets, hotels and FastPasses, but they have to somehow magically make sure that all of that information is transmitted to your MagicBand. And then they have to do it 4 more times for everyone else in your party. Oh, and let's not forget the in-laws who are staying in the room next to you. It's been a huge burden on front line cast who have had to deal with the constant changing technology, bugs in the system, poor training, and then the complaining guests. By the end of the day, you just want to drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and pass out hoping tomorrow will somehow be magical, and then realize it's gonna be the same situations all over again. It has been a rough time at Disney World for the past year and a half. I don't think things are going to go back to being the way they were until every CM is carrying an iPad, so that they can address guest situations with technology anywhere in the parks at any given time. The system is getting better, so all we can do is hope the technology gets even simpler over time and easier to use.

Bolt

I also think it's 2 big things.

-technology in general is always improving
-people over time are understanding how to use new technology (people still converting to smart devices - my mom switched this year from a flip phone!)

DisneyGentleman

I also think it's 2 big things.

-technology in general is always improving
-people over time are understanding how to use new technology (people still converting to smart devices - my mom switched this year from a flip phone!)
I'd put a different spin on it:

- technology in general is always getting more complex
- an "intelligent system" is only as smart as it's least intelligent component

So MyMagic+ run by untrained, underpaid staff = a mess.

ABQ

Sigh.... every time the WDW "WEB Team" idiots go NEAR "MyMagic" ? They either crash the entire thing, or introduce enough bugs to fill Gordon Ramsey's "Hotel Hell". JUST LEAVE IT ALONE - until you get a competent CIO (Susan O'Day should be transferred to the Mama Melrose Kitchen staff), and a team that can actually CODE.

WDW - for God's sake, you are a major corporation.... ACT like one.
No, please no, I like Mama Melrose's. She should head to Red Lobster or something. Maybe an Ihop in Kissimmee?

dadddio

1 year in terms of technology makes as huge difference as you can see. However, this system would have been much more efficiently rolled out if cast members were properly trained. Disney basically told CM's: "These are the awesome changes that are happening and... that's it." There has been very little and sometimes no training at all on MyMagic+. A lot of new hires are still not even trained on the system. MM+, MDX, FP+, MagicBands are all the brainchild of "techies" trying to make a difference in the company and build up their resume. However, being tech savvy was not a requirement when cast members were hired into the company. CM's are extremely limited when it comes to fixing IT related issues. Before, it was simple. If there was an error with something, CM's could fix it easily in the computer and that was it. Now Magic Bands throw a curveball to the equation. Not only do CM's have to fix situations in individual computer programs for dining, tickets, hotels and FastPasses, but they have to somehow magically make sure that all of that information is transmitted to your MagicBand. And then they have to do it 4 more times for everyone else in your party. Oh, and let's not forget the in-laws who are staying in the room next to you. It's been a huge burden on front line cast who have had to deal with the constant changing technology, bugs in the system, poor training, and then the complaining guests. By the end of the day, you just want to drink a bottle of Jack Daniels and pass out hoping tomorrow will somehow be magical, and then realize it's gonna be the same situations all over again. It has been a rough time at Disney World for the past year and a half. I don't think things are going to go back to being the way they were until every CM is carrying an iPad, so that they can address guest situations with technology anywhere in the parks at any given time. The system is getting better, so all we can do is hope the technology gets even simpler over time and easier to use.
You had me going until I got to 'they have to magically make sure that all of that information is transmitted to your MagicBand'. That one line gave your entire gag away. Good one.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
You had me going until I got to 'they have to magically make sure that all of that information is transmitted to your MagicBand'. That one line gave your entire gag away. Good one.
Why is that? I think there were some pretty substantial points in that post.

Rob562

Why is that? I think there were some pretty substantial points in that post.

I think his point was the the poster said that information was sent to (and thus stored in) the Bands, which is not how the Bands work, and if the poster got that major piece of info on how the system works wrong, how trustworthy is the rest of their info?

At least that's how I interpreted the interaction...

-Rob

afar28

I'm using the system right now and haven't encountered a single problem thus far. I'm very impressed so far and hope that all the original issues are fixed permenantly

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I think his point was the the poster said that information was sent to (and thus stored in) the Bands, which is not how the Bands work, and if the poster got that major piece of info on how the system works wrong, how trustworthy is the rest of their info?

-Rob
I see.

The way I interpreted it was a response to my statement of linking reservation information to the correct bands, which was our issue last year, and was fixed this year.

The 'storage' of the information on the band was more of a personal interpretation. No harm no foul.

BrianV

Worked flawlessly for charging, admission, fastpasses, and room entry for us this past week. One morning the system was down at the breakfast place at the boardwalk (the one by the lobby). The CM behind the counter took our room number and that was it. While we were eating, she told us it was up again so we scanned and ripped up the tab.

Whether this was needed at all, that is a different question. But it is cool.

AEfx

-Rob

I can see how it confused folks, though, as it is such an asinine assertion to make, closely bordering on absurd since it actually goes to the point that the CM that obviously this information has come from doesn't entirely understand the mechanics of the system enough to make that "error".

I put "error" in quotes because it's simply pedantic to debate the point - yes, from a technical standpoint, the band contains none of the data. The system that the bands communicate with, however, does carry that data, and is the very point that was being made - that getting the information from the various systems onto "band system" entitlements is adding an extra level of complication for trying to serve a guests needs.

To the end user (the CM or the guest, privacy concerns aside), it doesn't matter where the hell the data is stored (on the band vs. on the server), the issue is the same - getting the band governing system synchronized with all the other systems to recognize your various entitlements. No matter if the data is on the band itself, or the band is simply contains a data string to reference where the data is located, is irrelevant from that standpoint. Even when diagnosing technical issues with the band itself - the band is a digital signal, it's either active, or it's not, and CM's being in the dark about this distinction actually goes along with things like what we have heard about CM's in Resorts suggesting folks get a new band to solve some band issues with data sync. From the perception of the CM, since replacing the plastic band itself resolves the issue, they assume the problem was with the physical band, even if it really was starting a fresh "file" on the MM+ server triggered by a new band having a new code.

That's the entire issue they have been having, which is obvious to anyone watching this unfold who has even the most rudimentary working knowledge of corporate IT - Disney's various networks (FP, dining reservations, ticketing, resort management, etc.), which were designed to run independently back in their respective days, so-called "legacy" systems, were Frankenstein'd into communicating with a central "MM+" environment. The issues seem to be mostly with those intermediary add-on modules - after years of working with them, CMs can do all kinds of "tricks" under the old system to make things work in it and get it to do what they want (change your reservation, upgrade your ticket, what have you). The problem is, then getting that legacy system to communicate changes in data to the MM+ system - it probably works just fine with a "fresh" file (new unique band code), but I'd be willing to bet it's updating the info that is the issue they encounter.

It's why, as often happens in out of control IT projects, by the time you get to this point where it's been a black hole of money suckage too large to fail, in hindsight it would have been far smarter to start from scratch with everything and redesign all the systems at once to work together as one. That said, that is also a risk - there is a reason places do what Disney did (in spite of what folks claimed years ago in defense of the system, that they were in fact doing just that), as it actually costs MORE to support legacy systems in most cases than it saves. The key is - they work. That's why companies fight about them, because if software is 20 years old and needs to be replaced, the argument is "it's worked for 20 years, it's stable/reliable and we know how to make it work and keep it working, so let's try to add on to it instead of replacing it".

So, all that said - TL;DR? I fully believe those are the words of a CM, as it precisely outlines exactly what seems to be the underlying elephant in the server room.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom