Trip Report "My Very Merry" (or How my Olaf costume broke the entire Christmas parade)

Over the years I have visited Magic Kingdom for 24 hour parties, Not-So-Scary, and other events but I've never gone to Very Merry, and I'm happy to say I was absolutely delighted! Mostly because I got some more wear out of my costume!

d998659d9e30625808991ac317b27e8e433c568d.jpg

I was "Take A long Olaf"..the fan that was given out at DHS over the summer. I had gotten a lot of attention at Not So Scary for wearing it, and I had only gone once (Sickness downed me for the second time I was going to go), so I really really wanted to get some more wear out of it. It had taken me three days to construct, piece together and paint it. I even added some more details before the party the day before.

Olafback .jpg

I decided to arrive on Main Street at 5 and wait for my friends to arrive. Bad idea! Move It Shake It, the flag ceremony, a castle show dump and crowds leaving the park were all happening within minutes of each other. While I had been to Not So Scary on a sold out night, this seemed much harder to navigate..but people were laughing, loving the costume and I got lots of waves. I ducked into Starbucks where they wrote "Olaf" on my cup and had a talk with a really sweet girl who said "You should totally get a seat on main street to watch the parade".

Went to see Sandy Claws once my friends got there. He came out 45 minutes before the party, so we knocked that one off the list. Disney, please continue doing this!! I spent a good hour waiting for Jack and Sally last year and it ate up too much Halloween Party time!

6bd4eff7129f95a727989fcb979ef5b987141317.jpg

I got extra cookies at the Pinnochio Village Haus (I almost took out some signage coming in). Getting candy at NSSHP was a piece of cake compared to navigating the stantions inside restaurants for cookies and hot cocoa! My friends kept calling "DUCK!" when I was too close to the ceiling. I went sideways through a lot of doors that night.

On our way through "Fancy Land' (as we call it), an attendant at mermaid stopped us and loved our costumes so much she made a guest pass for all of us to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! SWEET!!!

We took in both castle shows..loved them! The white horses in the show kinda freak me out, but then again I was dressed as a Olaf fan so what do I know? Loved the Frozen castle show..the projections were really "cool". And yes, I did take off the "fan" part of my costume so everyone behind me could see. Dragging it through the castle show crowd was another nightmare altgother, but that's what I get!

My friends I had skipped Jingle Cruise on previous MK trips..we wanted to save it for Very Merry, and I'm glad we did! Our skipper "HOLLY" was on point, with a manic personality. I could tell she was the resident smart donkey of the break room with her presence. Some of my favorite lines:

"We're going down the legendary :: pulls mic away and screams:: I WANNA SEE SANTA!!!! :: puts mic back:: river.. "

"I got bad case of Mistletoe...blow the fronts of your shoes right off"

Approaching Sweitzer Falls: "We are approaching the famous Swietzer glacier but it looks like....uh oh.... I guess there was a recent heatwave..Ladies and gentleman, may I present the only thing at Disney World that's not frozen!"

Walking through Frontierland, I HAD to stop into Diamond Horseshoe. For YEARS, I've wanted a picture with Horace Horsecollar but he's always been a part of shows or parades or never easily accessible. I had even rudely been denied by an attendant at Street party once (for good reason, but there were more polite ways of saying "He's just dancing")

Well, I walked into the club, and before I could even go out on the dance floor an attendant took Horace by the hand and brought him over to see me! He and Clara were both awestruck by my prescence.He got me to dance (which is incredibly difficult with a couple pounds of waivering cardboard strapped to your back) and gladly posed for a photo!

IMG_5273.JPG

WIN.

The highlight of the night however as the Once Upon a Christmastime Parade. My friends and I went to the last showing of the night and stood by the Main Street Train Station. Right before the show, a woman rolled up in an ECV and said "You look great! I saw in the parking lot. Can I take your picture? (she did)..I'm going to stay right by you because I was here the other night and my photos came out horrible!".

Kringle Krew came dancing by to start things off.....and let me tell you..I never got so many hugs in my life! "OLAF!" they screamed. I caught a couple cast members in mid-air leap. We danced in the street for a bit and they all waved me goodbye on their way out. One of the elves had recognized me from earlier that day and she ran up. "REMEMBER ME?!" she screamed! I had indeed! She was so nice! They all were happy to see me.

Then the actual parade started. All I wanted was to show the Frozen characters my hard work. I got A LOT more than I bargained for. I could suddenly tell a lot of the characters friends were laughing on the inside (wink wink). I would often turn around so they could see the back.

Mickey and Minnie were pointing...Anna almost screamed and had to get Elsa's attention. Kristoff had no words. Olaf loved it. Vanellope just stopped what she was doing to get Ralph's attention. A gingerbread man quit doing choreography because he was in awe. Chip and Dale were laughing so hard they had to come over and give me a hug. The lady teddybear gave me a kiss. Floats drove over to me. Dancers smiled, high fived and didn't even miss a step. Every princess and prince on finale were pointing and laughing. It was absolutely magical. Near the end, a manager came up behind me and said "You're all over twitter right now"

I had been:
photo.JPG

The woman next me said "I got the best pictures of parade because of you!".

We finally visited Tinkerbell and Mickey to cap off the night. Tink's attendant Steve saw me come in and had to bend down he was laughing so hard. He couldn't stop. He couldn't deliver his "all cameras out/books out" spiel because he was just in shock.

"You want me to show you the back of it?"

He said "Gimme a minute".

Tink loved us, made the girls twirl, and was so happy we visited.

Truly a magical night!

bf682d60f096b97172b8303bc542ce7573106118.jpg

Attachments

• 6bd4eff7129f95a727989fcb979ef5b987141317.jpg
    6bd4eff7129f95a727989fcb979ef5b987141317.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5259.JPG
    IMG_5259.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 23

mrdrift

Great costume and some really good pictures, I am really enjoying this report. All my coworkers asking why I am laughing so much. Glad to hear you all had a wonderful time and keeped everyone entertained. Following along.

disneypearl

I love the costume! How fun! The lady who wanted to be by you for parade pictures was smart. I'm sure that worked out well for her. Thanks for sharing.

LisaBelle

All I can say is OMG! Wish I could have been there to see you in person. What a creative idea! So glad others appreciated your creativity. Loved this report!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom