My Unpopular WDW Opinion - post yours!

s8film40

I... don't think there's anything "run down" about Animal Kingdom or Harambe Village. That's what villages in Africa look like. Calling it "stereotypical" and "third world" and implying that you're better than that sort of thing is, well, pretty racist. Please don't do that.
The continents represented in AK are beautiful, vast, diverse continents. The villages represented throughout the park are very old and run down and only perpetuate the stereotypes that people like you and others believe. I suppose if they add Australia you’ll expect Crocodile Dundee. If anyone is being racist here it’s you, but we should probably give you the benefit of the doubt that you just didn’t know any better. After all, all of the movies and theme park attractions tell you that that’s what Africa actually looks like how would you know otherwise.

Otterhead

If anyone is being racist here it’s you, but we should probably give you the benefit of the doubt that you just didn’t know any better.
Yeaaaah. Stay classy, there, kid. While Africa has many amazing, huge cities, putting a metropolis in Animal Kingdom would be as silly as putting modern downtown Berlin in the Germany pavilion in Epcot. Harambe Village is supposed to be exactly that -- a small village; I've seen the development photos, and the buildings, posters, and signage are taken directly from actual small African villages along the coast, especially Nigeria and Tanzania. Personally I find it colorful, festive, and a lot of fun to visit.

s8film40

Yeaaaah. Stay classy, there, kid. While Africa has many amazing, huge cities, putting a metropolis in Animal Kingdom would be as silly as putting modern downtown Berlin in the Germany pavilion in Epcot. Harambe Village is supposed to be exactly that -- a small village; I've seen the development photos, and the buildings, posters, and signage are taken directly from actual small African villages along the coast, especially Nigeria and Tanzania. Personally I find it colorful, festive, and a lot of fun to visit.
Yes of course they found actual run down old villages to model their park after and obviously they aren’t going to use a metropolis in an animal park. The point is they chose the image they wanted to project as “Africa” and other continents. I’ve worked with a good number of ICP’s who found the land to not be representative of their home countries and laugh at how stereotypical it is. In any case believe whatever you want I don’t care, just don’t call me racist. Maybe you’ll be able to stay classy too.

celluloid

Yes of course they found actual run down old villages to model their park after and obviously they aren’t going to use a metropolis in an animal park. The point is they chose the image they wanted to project as “Africa” and other continents. I’ve worked with a good number of ICP’s who found the land to not be representative of their home countries and laugh at how stereotypical it is. In any case believe whatever you want I don’t care, just don’t call me racist. Maybe you’ll be able to stay classy too.

It is called Romanticized. Fiction. Realism is not nearly as fun. Do you think Main Street USA is a good representation of the average(or any) small town America from the Turn of the Century? You do not even have to leave the park. I don't think anyone thinks DINOLAND USA.Is an authentic representation of North America or specifically the United States, it is just representing the romanticized state of mind and different ideas that we give Dinosaur Discovery.

People can stereotype and it is something good to be aware of, but one should also not belittle Archetypes from being enjoyed as that is what the entertainment world is based upon.

s8film40

It is called Romanticized. Fiction. Realism is not nearly as fun. Do you think Main Street USA is a good representation of the average(or any) small town America from the Turn of the Century? You do not even have to leave the park. I don't think anyone thinks DINOLAND USA.Is an authentic representation of North America or specifically the United States, it is just representing the romanticized state of mind and different ideas that we give Dinosaur Discovery.

People can stereotype and it is something good to be aware of, but one should also not belittle Archetypes from being enjoyed as that is what the entertainment world is based upon.
If you go back to the original post I replied to you'll see they said they like Animal Kingdom lodge. You can have a romanticized fictional version of something without picking a dilapidated village. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it. I think there are a good number of people who like it. I think there are some people who feel like their getting a more "authentic" experience in places like that. I would guess that that's probably Joe Rohde's ideal kind of vacation and hence the influence on the park. It seems to me like to some degree it's even carried over to completely fictional lands like Avatar and Star Wars. That weathered old and worn style is very popular with Disney right now regardless of what they are representing.

Andrew M

Right????!!!! Speedway has lived long LONG beyond it's shelf life! :bored: We rode the Railroad around MK in January, was shocked to look down over Tomorrowland and see this still operating. I feel like Peoplemover can get away with with sticking around based on it's retro, vintage kind of kitschy appeal, but the speedway not so much. People were still lined up for it though, so obviously there are plenty of people who find it worth the time...

Don't underestimate the appeal of driving to those who are too little to have a driver's license and even too little for go-karts. My 4 yr old was devastated when he realized we didn't go on the 'race cars' on a previous trip. Needless to say we went on twice the next time around.

Scrungo

The parks are getting too popular for their own good. It's getting to the point where it feels a "slow season" no long exists. Crowds every where, queues constantly clogged up even attractions that would be considered C-tier on the old ticket system. No doubt the company loves this constant flux of park income though.

Tom P.

Wait. You told him that his attitude was racist and then when he suggested it might be your attitude that is instead racist, you tell him he's not being classy? Double standard much?

I think a good rule of thumb on these boards would be to not assume nor accuse anyone of racism, period. I think that would serve us all well.

Otterhead

Wait. You told him that his attitude was racist and then when he suggested it might be your attitude that is instead racist, you tell him he's not being classy? Double standard much?
There's a very, very big difference between cautioning someone that the things they're saying could come off as racist and to actually say "you are a racist". He literally called me a racist for saying that I enjoy Animal Kingdom and that I'd seen reference images of the villages that the buildings were based on. I don't think that's acceptable.

COrunner

Totally flies in the face of 'Disney only cares about families':

I think Disney shouldn't rent strollers, especially double wide ones.
Get rid of smoking areas and balloons.

The current fast pass system is actually really good at moderating line length.

LauraRose

I don’t see hype with haunted mansion and peter pans flight.. interactive photo passes make me cringe and I like soarin’ over the world.
I absolutely love Epcot and every single ride in there, midway mania is so over rated, dislike jungle cruise and don’t get why people don’t like animal kingdom.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Rock N' Rollercoaster and why is it so popular that it usually has the longest wait in Disney's Hollywood Studios (besides maybe Midway Mania and ToT)? It's just a more intense version of Space Mountain lol

cosmicgirl

Rock N' Rollercoaster and why is it so popular that it usually has the longest wait in Disney's Hollywood Studios (besides maybe Midway Mania and ToT)? It's just a more intense version of Space Mountain lol
Well, what is there besides Midway Mania and ToT? Only Star Tours and RnRC, so that would make RnRC the second shortest queue.

TheDuke

I don't understand people's love for Maelstrom. The ride made no sense, and I like the Frozen addition.

Wait, so it doesn't make sense to you that you're with Vikings running away from trolls and then suddenly next to a modern oil rig in a sea storm after a drop to show off Norway's modern industry? Okay, whatever bro.

LaughingGravy

• If your kids are too small/young to walk on their own, don't bring them, or plan to take them out/off site for a nap. Otherwise, they are too young. Real disabilities are a different story.
  • If your kids are old enough to walk, make them. If you are bringing your own stroller, make it a small umbrella type. If you can afford to go to Disney, you can afford to buy a small umbrella stroller not wider than you to do the job. If your kid is too big for said small stroller(excepting real disabilities), they should be walking. Plan your day accordingly.
  • No flip flops in the parks. Wear shoes, properly secured sandals or sneakers or shoes with socks or stockings. Have a little decorum. Flip flops are for pools or the beach in public.
  • No wife-beater t-shirts. Shirts with sleeves only. The parks should not be selling wife-beaters.
  • Have consideration for those around you. Look around before you stop in the middle of a doorway or pathway and then move to the side if you are going to stop. Get out of the way of others.
  • Only put your kids on your shoulders for a parade if you are in the back row and can't go any farther back . Otherwise, plan ahead.
That pretty much sums it up for me regarding unpopular WDW opinions.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Well, what is there besides Midway Mania and ToT? Only Star Tours and RnRC, so that would make RnRC the second shortest queue.

Good call! I periodically check the wait times on the app and it's crazy how little there is to do at DHS. It's even crazier how long some of these waits are! I'm also not used to seeing Star Tours as one of the lesser popular attractions in the park (at DL the wait is always high).

TheDuke

I like the recent innovations like FP+ and Magicbands

EPCOT is better than AK

Taking pre elementary school aged kids to Disney just seems like a waste of money. They'll quickly be tired and miserable and probably won't even remember going later.

Don't care about the firework shows or meeting characters.

I like Swiss Family Tree House and Primeval Whirl

I don't like the Tiki Room, Country Bears, Tomorrowland Transit Authority, Living with the Land, Star Wars Launch Bay, or Kilmanjaro Safaris

POTC and Haunted Mansion are just okay. Don't dislike them, but I'll only do them if the wait is short and I've done the other things I want to do.

The TT and Soarin' upgrades made the rides worse.

Mission: Space is just okay. The launch is a lot of fun, but after that it's just a motion simulator with fake interactivity. That said, I probably prefer it to Horizons.

I'd be fine with Journey into the Imagination just being scrapped for something new.

I don't understand why I'm supposed to want to wait over an hour or waste a FP on Toy Story Midway Mania when it's basically just playing a so-so shooting video game for 5 minutes. I don't like Buzz at MK either, but at least it feels more like an actual ride.

Festival of the Lion King is just okay. Did it once and don't feel the need to do it again.

I was pleasantly surprised by 7DMT when I finally did it. Part of it was that I didn't have to wait for it since I lucked into a late FP, and also my expectations weren't sky high, I was just thinking it would be another Barnstormer. I liked it a good deal more than Barnstormer and probably even more than Thunder Mountain. I like the rocking and the dark ride segments were very good. I liked it so much I got back in line right before park close to do it again. I think the reason for the negative reception is that people were expecting it to be the new best ride at Disney and those expectations were only pushed higher by waiting 2-3 hours for it. It's definitely not the best ride but I think it is in the lower end of the top ten at WDW.

RichC

-Name the park, name the nighttime spectacular; I’d rather be doing something else. Fireworks are nice, but I get my fill on the 4th.

-I like that WDW has become a popular destination for people from Brazil and Argentina.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom