Pre-Trip My first Pre-Trip report!! May 2017

So, as you can see from the "not so original" title, this is my first ever attempt at a pre-trip report! I have been religiously reading everyone else's PTR & TR to get some hints & tips so here goes nothing!!

Aaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhh WE'RE GOING BACK TO DIIIIISSSNNEEEEYYYWWOOOOORRRLLLLLDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!! :inlove::):happy::p

IMG_2007.JPG

Me & H in 2014:inlove:

Since we are well into our double digit countdown, now seemed to be a good a time as any to undertake this report to share some of our plans and ADR for our trip which will be for two weeks in May! Any suggestions and recommendations will definitely be welcomed

Although we have been to WDW a number of times as children and most recently again in 2014, there are a few differences this time with not only the number of people, but also dining plan & resort choice.

Who: this is the first time we as a family have been with any more than 4-5 of us so the group has essentially doubled in size from mum, older sister, older brother & me
TO: me, my older sister (fellow Disney fanatic), mum, mums friends Matt & Kay, Matts daughter, Kays two daughters, Kays daughters boyfriend & finally little Niambh (daughter of Matt & Kay) PHEW! That's everyone I think!

Where: Port Orleans Riverside. Our first time in a moderate resort as we have mainly swapped between the All Star Resots on previous trips. (We thought since we're "grown up" now we would go up a level so we're super excited about experiencing a different resort.

When: May

Favourite princess: Belle ❤

Mostly our plans for going to the parks are....MK on the first day & that's pretty much the only thing set in stone with park selection. We always get the 14 day park hopper tickets so we can swap and change as we see fit for the EMH etc. We have however made a number of ADR throughout the two weeks. We did these on the 180 days mark due to there being 10 of us & wanting to get most of our reservations together for the main restaurants. We also know that there will be occasions when we won't be all together so have made some separate reservations for me, mum & sister (H).

On our last trip in 2014 we were fortunate enough to snag the QS dining plan for free in our package & this was our first ever experience of the DDP. We thought it was amazing and so convenient especially as we were there during the Food & Wine festival, however this time we are on the moderate dining plan which means so many more options for dining...which brings me toooooooooo Cinderella's Royal Table *does a little dance* we are suuuuuper excited that we bagged this reservation especially for the 10 of us! Now..I've heard mixed reviews about the food at CRT but I'm just looking forward to the experience. We also have Be our guest booked which we did go to before and loved!

We currently have the below restaurants booked:
Boatwrights dining hall
(First evening as it's easy on the resort but also we may take the boat to DS)
50's Prime Time
Be Our Guest (lunch and dinner)
Coral Reef (me mum & H)
Ohana
Whispering Canyon
Sci-fi dine in
Hollywood Brown Derby
Mama Melrose
San Angel Inn
Cinderellas royal table :inlove:
Akershus princess lunch (we booked this for Niambh obviously ;))

Any comments on these would be greatly appreciated!! :happy:

We plan on visiting universal studios *shock horror* for one day during the holiday. We first did Universal IOA in 2014 however this day is now known as "Universal Gate" as we were rained out after just 3hrs in the park anyway... it just means we have plenty of new things to experience on that day.

So although we don't have much planned in terms of activities as yet, we will be looking at our fast pass options as soon as it gets to 60 days!

I hope this wasn't too boring & that a few of you are happy to follow along with my trip report when it comes to it!! I can't stop researching Disney EVERYTHING including how I'm having my nails done for the trip Pinterest is such a wonderful thing for planning a Disney holiday!!!!

So until then I'll leave you with my first PTR :)
View attachment 187153

Last edited:

amjt660

Premium Member
Thank you @amjt660 & @blgauger :)

We used to go over the Christmas Break & I don't think we ever experience the crowd levels there are now! We would usually do from Dec 14th-Dec 28th and I never remember it being as manic as people say it is now at that time & FP's were never usually an issue! *there are worse issues to have I guess*

We are hoping that beginning of May will be just after the Easter rush & before Summer break but who knows!!!! o_O We will get what we can booked for now & change as we go like you say!

We try and be (what the phrase) "Park Commandos" :bored: staying open till close but I think we will try and resort hop a little this time & with us staying at a nicer resort, we want to spend sometime there too. Again you don't know until you're there but we will go with the flow!!

Okay I'm waffling on... o_O

Thanks again for your comments ;)
mmmmmm...... waffles......

OK sorry about that, I am back now

I think your trip timing is one of the best.
As you said you get past the Easter crazy and before the summer crazy and weather wise you should have warm/hot without the crazy humidity of July/August and you get good long days / evenings of daylight.

Not trying to start the FP+ argument but I think that it has contributed to the busy state of the parks
FP before was not as well understood or utilized.
Theme Park Commandos like us knew how to work the system to our advantage.
Multiple times I would hear Stand By Line people saying "you have to pay for that" as I walked past them to a ride.

Anyway, I think you are taking the right approach this time of balancing your "Smell the Roses" with your " Hardcore Commando"

Max

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
So just off topic a little...ish.... WHO HAS SEEN BEAUTY AND THE BEAST?!?!?! :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: oh good gracious its just amazing...who's with me?!

Anyone who is there at the moment or has been in the last week, has there been a lot of hype in the parks with the film coming out?

If you haven't seen it (which I bet you all have!!) you must go right now...go ...now.....go on. SO GOOD!

Anyway- 43 daaaaaaaaaysssss!! ;)

Dory71

Oooo thank you. I know a couple in our group do love steak :) We did 50's Prime time once when we were younger & remember it being fun but now we're older we might not be as shy with the CM;)!! Most of the reservations we have made this time we haven't ever been to before so it should be a lot of fun trying new places, especially after reading reviews about Whispering Canyon!!o_O Do I ask for Ketchup?!
Yes! And a "little" more sprite.
jml whisp canyon.jpg

RyPat

So just off topic a little...ish.... WHO HAS SEEN BEAUTY AND THE BEAST?!?!?! :inlove::inlove::inlove::inlove: oh good gracious its just amazing...who's with me?!

Anyone who is there at the moment or has been in the last week, has there been a lot of hype in the parks with the film coming out?

If you haven't seen it (which I bet you all have!!) you must go right now...go ...now.....go on. SO GOOD!

Anyway- 43 daaaaaaaaaysssss!! ;)

Saw it in 3D last night - it was really good. Emma Watson was perfect, as was most of the cast. Wasn't a huge fan of Emma Thompson's singing of 'Beauty and the Beast', but really good nonetheless

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Saw it in 3D last night - it was really good. Emma Watson was perfect, as was most of the cast. Wasn't a huge fan of Emma Thompson's singing of 'Beauty and the Beast', but really good nonetheless

I agree with that- but she did have a lot of pressure singing the main song I guess!! I bet it was good in 3D. I just want to watch it again and again!!

Is it weird that I have a little crush on the Beast?! o_O:inlove:

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Well there's a few reasons why i'm writing on here today....
1) Out t-shirts have arrived!!!!!!!!!!!:joyfull:
2) My customised ears have been shipped!!!:inlove:
3) Its just over a month till D-Day :eek:
4) I'm craving a Flame Tree BBQ rib & chicken combo.... :hungry:

I think I've possibly read EVERY report there is going on here...Can some more people go please so that I have some new trip reports to binge read!?

I'm getting nervous about my trip report now! I need to buy myself a nice notebook from Paperchase & make sure I don't forget to make notes!!!

How does everyone else do it..? Notes on your phone...photos... notebook?

Last edited:

mlegerto

Great job so far on your first PTR. I haven't done one ever before either, but want to for our upcoming Christmas trip! Joining in on the fun!

So tonight we are having an "official" meet up to discuss DIIISSSSNEEEY!! They're my favourite kind of get together. ;) Disney inspired treats at the ready!!:p

B.E.S.T kind of meet up. Unless the meet up is to discuss how much you miss Disney and can't get back anytime soono_O

We still have Sci-Fi on there but we're not sure about the food reviews that we have seen?!o_O Looks like a fun experience though?! Any thoughts?

I honestly really like Sci-Fi. I find it to be a lot of fun. The food ISN'T to greatest, but if you stick to the basics (like burgers and sandwiches) I don't think you will be disappointed. The portions are very large IMO (as are most portions in America, I'm from Canada) so we usually get 1 entree and split it between myself and my hubby and then get either a milkshake or dessert or something.

We are hoping that beginning of May will be just after the Easter rush & before Summer break but who knows!!!! o_O We will get what we can booked for now & change as we go like you say!

May used to be the time of year I always went. We loved it - warm weather (but not too ridiculously hot), crowds aren't terrible and the parks tend to have their longer hours in effect (to me there is nothing better than being in the parks at night, LOVES it!). I think you guys will have a great time!

O.M.G I honestly LOVED it. I've seen it in 3D two times now (with two different groups of people). B&tB was always a fav of mine, so my opinion is a bit biased as I have the love and nostalgia of it all, but I really enjoyed the film. I felt like I had a smile from ear to ear from the moment it started until it was over. I was actually sad when it was over HAHA. I abosuelty LOVED the Belle song/market scene at the beginning. I know it has mixed reviews and there are some inconsistencies (some have American accents, others have British, no one really have French accents but it takes place in France, there was some VERY clear auto tune happening, etc.), but none of that bothered me enough not to love it! Glad you loved it too!

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
Great job so far on your first PTR. I haven't done one ever before either, but want to for our upcoming Christmas trip! Joining in on the fun!

B.E.S.T kind of meet up. Unless the meet up is to discuss how much you miss Disney and can't get back anytime soono_O

I honestly really like Sci-Fi. I find it to be a lot of fun. The food ISN'T to greatest, but if you stick to the basics (like burgers and sandwiches) I don't think you will be disappointed. The portions are very large IMO (as are most portions in America, I'm from Canada) so we usually get 1 entree and split it between myself and my hubby and then get either a milkshake or dessert or something.

May used to be the time of year I always went. We loved it - warm weather (but not too ridiculously hot), crowds aren't terrible and the parks tend to have their longer hours in effect (to me there is nothing better than being in the parks at night, LOVES it!). I think you guys will have a great time!

O.M.G I honestly LOVED it. I've seen it in 3D two times now (with two different groups of people). B&tB was always a fav of mine, so my opinion is a bit biased as I have the love and nostalgia of it all, but I really enjoyed the film. I felt like I had a smile from ear to ear from the moment it started until it was over. I was actually sad when it was over HAHA. I abosuelty LOVED the Belle song/market scene at the beginning. I know it has mixed reviews and there are some inconsistencies (some have American accents, others have British, no one really have French accents but it takes place in France, there was some VERY clear auto tune happening, etc.), but none of that bothered me enough not to love it! Glad you loved it too!

Thank you for your comments!! Can't wait to read your PTR for December! I also loved your Honeymoon report- so romantic
I hope my actual trip report turns out as good as some of the ones on here!! I'm not a great photographer so there will be a few cringes from some people when they see my attempts. but as long as it's not boring I'm sure it will be fine

Quick question about the Sci-if.. is it only two seats per car?! There will be me my mum and sister wanting to sit together I reckon so that might be a problem !

As for BatB... I was the same...my boyfriend kept giving me sideways looks when I was crying both happy and sad tears :cry::inlove: I couldn't help myself with singing it either..yes I was that annoying person! Can't wait to see it again! I know I agree with the auto tuning and I definitely prefer Celina Dion and Peabo Brysons version of Tale as old as time...even though I love John Legend ...it's just not the same!

Yes we are hoping the weather is going to be nice, as last time we went was September and it threw it down every day :cautious: we did manage the 1am EMH at MK and absolutely loved it!

Thanks for your comment :)

mlegerto

Can't wait to read your PTR for December! I also loved your Honeymoon report- so romantic
I hope my actual trip report turns out as good as some of the ones on here!! I'm not a great photographer so there will be a few cringes from some people when they see my attempts. but as long as it's not boring I'm sure it will be fine

Quick question about the Sci-if.. is it only two seats per car?! There will be me my mum and sister wanting to sit together I reckon so that might be a problem !

Hope you will join in on my PTR when I get around to starting it! Thanks for following along on my Honeymoon report and your comments throughout, much appreciated.

I know the feeling, the Honeymoon TR is my first TR and I know it wasn't up to the standards of some of the others out there, but you gotta start somewhere! I'm terrible with photos as well - both in terms of remembering to take them AND the actualy quality. But hey, you followed my TR so it couldn't have been all that bad LOL ;)

For Sci-Fi, yes it is two people per row, but you can have multiple rows of people in your party within the same car. I am not sure that you would be able to comfortably fit three adults in one row (I've been two parents and a child, but never three adults). Something to think about. Here's a photo (not my image, just a random google search) of the seating at SF to help better explain what I mean.

upload_2017-3-29_14-51-24.png

*Flynnderella*

Original Poster
They have a couple of different options for seating. We go to Sci-Fi everytime we got to Hollywood Studios, mainly for the experience but we've never had a terrible meal there.

sci-fi-dine-in-theater-00.jpg

Ohh it does look cool!!! Does the whole party tend to take up 1 car or are you dotted about ?!

amjt660

Premium Member
I am also intrigued!

To be honest, its not like there is a plethora (great word) of TS in HS!!
I will be sure to take notes and add them to my TR for you @amjt660 :)
Thank you for offering to report back in your TR
It is very much appreciated,
I will try not to give you an overabundance or excessive or a plethora of praise until you actually write the report.

(yes, I found the thesaurus check in Word!!!)

Max

RyPat

I am also intrigued!

To be honest, its not like there is a plethora (great word) of TS in HS!!
I will be sure to take notes and add them to my TR for you @amjt660 :)

Thank you for offering to report back in your TR
It is very much appreciated,
I will try not to give you an overabundance or excessive or a plethora of praise until you actually write the report.

(yes, I found the thesaurus check in Word!!!)

Max

I'm more of a 'cornucopia' fan myself.... :cool:

mlegerto

Ohh it does look cool!!! Does the whole party tend to take up 1 car or are you dotted about ?!

My whole party has always been in one car, just two per row. So I am sure that's what they try to do (unless for some reason you have a massive party in which they cannot fit all in one car).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom