My Disney Proposal!!!

Ravenclaw87

Original Poster
Hi guys,

My boyfriend asked me to marry me on July 21st. Here's the story!

So, for back story, I was being a royal pain in the butt basically from the time we booked our vacation to Disney World up until our arrival on July 20th. I was asking Chris every single day "Are you going to propose? I think you should propose. If you're not going to propose, you should tell me." It was, I'm sure, driving him up the wall. See, I'm a control freak, and the fact that I couldn't plan my engagement (you know, like Eliot did on Scrubs?) was absolutely killing me.

But, we arrived at WDW without any hitches. While I'm a poor graduate student, my grandparents are not and they lent me some Vacation Club points and put us up in a room at Animal Kingdom Lodge with a savannah view for our first night. We could see giraffes and zebras from our hotel balcony; it was surreal. We had a lovely, fun day, that might have involved a seven hour nap, but that definitely did include looking at animals through night vision goggles. I had kind of figured though that, if he was going to propose, he was going to do it our first night. If you were carrying a ring around with you, wouldn't YOU do it your first night?!

But, alas, no proposal. In my mind, I didn't rule it out, but I had also tried to convince myself that it wouldn't matter if Chris decided not to propose that week. I was going to have a fun vacation no matter what. The next morning we checked out of AKL early so that we could take a taxi to our next hotel (the much more affordable Pop Century) first thing in the morning, check in, get our park tickets, and get to the Magic Kingdom before park open.

We had a great morning over at Pop Century that day; I'm a Walt Disney Resorts pen kleptomaniac, and I had convinced the hotel clerk to give me six pens. Then, later on in the gift shop, a random woman came over and gave us 3 fast passes to use! For the next hour or so, Chris kept saying "Yeah, Jack. You got pens! The day is just going to go downhill from there." He's not sarcastic at all.

We got on the bus, and we arrived at the Magic Kingdom around 8:30am, so right around when we wanted to be there--- especially because I'm a little in love with the opening ceremony and it may or may not make me shed a tear or two. So, we waited a little bit and we watched the show and yadda yadda yadda, so by the time we were allowed into the park at 9:00am, I was excited and ready to go ride some rides, gosh darn it!

But, Chris had other plans. We walked by a Disney photographer, and Chris said "Hey! Let's get our picture taken!" And, honestly? I thought he was crazy. It was 9:00am on our first day at the Magic Kingdom, and the last thing I wanted to do was get my picture taken. The castle wasn't going anywhere, for Pete's sake. (Or should it be Goofy's sake? Something to think about.) So, I said that in a much nicer way; rather, I said "Yeah, okay," in agreement, but I was hoping he'd forget about this outlandish suggestion.

But he didn't! He said it again at another photographer. And then another. (Why are there so many, by the way?! There's one every five feet. How about we take one of them and put it in front of the Mansion so I can get in a decent picture in front of the gorgeous facade of my favorite ride... but I digress.) Until, finally, he stopped. "Jack, let's get our picture taken."

"Okay," I said, verbally agreeing, but in my head I was thinking about how people were getting in line ahead of us on Splash Mountain. But, then, Chris told the photographer to hold on a second, and I stopped worrying about Brer Rabbit.

"This is where it happens," he said. "Look, I know this is the most magical place in the world to you. But, to me, the most magical place in the world is wherever you are. And I hope we can keep coming here every year for the rest of our lives. Will you marry me?" And then he got down on one knee, and then I cried, and then he cried a little bit, and then people started shouting "Say yes!" and it was adorable.

And I DID say yes! (You know, in case you're wondering.) He told me about how he had hid the ring from me; he had placed the receipt for the ring in the DVD case for my least favorite movie, "The Usual Suspects," because he knew it was the one place in the house I would never look. He had kept his ring in his X Box box, and then, on the plane, in his backpack. While he didn't ask my dad for permission, he did tell my dad about it, and they decided it was virtually the same thing.

And the ring? The ring is gorgeous! The diamond had belonged to his great-grandmother (and I love old stuff anyway!), but he had the tiffany-cut diamond placed in a new white gold setting. It's the exact setting I had always wanted.

The photopass photographer took some great pictures, and I'm so happy to have them. Afterwards, we hugged and kissed, and did all that sappy stuff, and then we walked down to City Hall to get our "Just Engaged!" buttons. (Because, really, we were JUST engaged!!!) And then?

And then we went on the Haunted Mansion, followed by Pirates of the Carribean. And then we had a magical vacation.
http://www.blogger.com/post-edit.g?blogID=3193325780226210077&postID=2945082818696753976

HollyBelle

PICTURES! PICTURES, PLEASE!!

Congratulations!:sohappy: I love how you said that not being able to plan your own engagement freaked you out... I totally identify with this, because I'm crazy OCD and was the same way! I also love how you were trying to convince yourself that it'd be okay if he didn't propose. Luckily, it all worked out and he still managed to surprise you.

Now where are those picture?!

foreverbelle

That is such a great story, and one I dif needed to hear this morning. Thanks for sharing it. You just put a huge smile on my face.

Congrats.

WishIWasAtWDW

wonderful engagement story!! congrats! i tell my boyfriend that he should propose in wdw and he tells me that i don't get to plan the proposal. i then kindly remind him how keith let elliott plan her proposal on scrubs! :lol: the argument hasn't worked for me so far but i have a trip in 37 days so we will see! :D it seems that it has worked for you! congrats again!

Unomas

Congrats! Really enjoyed reading it! I love hearing about that kind of thing from people who share the same passion for Disney World as I do :)

princessmelinda

This is amazing, I almost shed a tear reading it! And I also want to send this whole thread to my boyfriend for when we go next year, muahaha. Congrats!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom