My Disney Experience Android App Draining Battery

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is anyone else experiencing this? The My Disney Experience app is making constant location queries, even when my device is on standby, the app is closed, and I'm 1,300 miles away from WDW.

Tom

Beta Return
Yes, I just noticed this as well. The MDE app has used 1% of my battery today, with GPS being active for 29m 28s.

anchorman314

There was an update about two weeks ago that introduced the constant-GPS bug. There was subsequently an update that was supposed to fix it, but only reduced the amount of battery drain. I gave up waiting and just disabled the location services for the app.

BigRedDad

With Disney requiring almost 24x7 MDE access while there, I decided to purchase a battery backup. It is light weight, has lightning charging, and can charge a typical newer phone to 80% in about 30 minutes. It has enough power to charge the phone about 8-10x. Its a minor inconvenience but worth due to the constant need for access now. It is 1Lb of extra weight.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Hmmm.... I wonder what effect increased power drain has on the sales of their Fuel Rod systems...?
fuel-rod.png

21stamps

Is anyone else experiencing this? The My Disney Experience app is making constant location queries, even when my device is on standby, the app is closed, and I'm 1,300 miles away from WDW.

The problem is that you're an Android user.
Be smart, get an iPhone.

Hmmm.... I wonder what effect increased power drain has on the sales of their Fuel Rod systems...?
fuel-rod.png

Hey now.. I love my fuel rod! It was a life saver at the parks!

Rob562

Be smart, get an iPhone.

Can't speak to the GPS issue with the new version of MDE, but my Android phone has a battery saver option that allowed my phone to last all day in the parks. (And this included checking for available FP+ after every attraction)
My bf's iPhone doesn't offer that.

-Rob

correcaminos

Be smart, get an iPhone.
It drained just as bad on the iPhone. My android did much better than the iPhone for battery life. It's a battery sucker of an app for sure. Always has been which is why I remove it as soon as I am done with a trip.

My phone lasted all day at the parks so not an issue, but I usually get a couple days at home.

21stamps

Can't speak to the GPS issue with the new version of MDE, but my Android phone has a battery saver option that allowed my phone to last all day in the parks. (And this included checking for available FP+ after every attraction)
My bf's iPhone doesn't offer that.

-Rob

The iPhone does have a low power mode. But even when you're 100% you can adjust the settings to take less battery.
It drained just as bad on the iPhone. My android did much better than the iPhone for battery life. It's a battery sucker of an app for sure. Always has been which is why I remove it as soon as I am done with a trip.

My phone lasted all day at the parks so not an issue, but I usually get a couple days at home.

Mine does fine...unless I'm taking pictures and videos all day, which is what I'm doing with my phone at Disney. At our local amusement park, using their app and checking it constantly my phone will last the entire day, but I'm not really taking videos there and definitely not as many photos.

But- sorry guys, I really wasn't trying to have an iPhone versus android debate.,just giving @CaptainAmerica a well deserved hard time.lol

correcaminos

The iPhone does have a low power mode. But even when you're 100% you can adjust the settings to take less battery.

Mine does fine...unless I'm taking pictures and videos all day, which is what I'm doing with my phone at Disney. At our local amusement park, using their app and checking it constantly my phone will last the entire day, but I'm not really taking videos there and definitely not as many photos.

But- sorry guys, I really wasn't trying to have an iPhone versus android debate.,just giving @CaptainAmerica a well deserved hard time.lol
Well in that case carry on ;)

Now for those just wondering for real (and not poking fun at a poster) I take videos and pictures all day too - upload to Facebook as well. That's another battery sucker there. So glad to have both uninstalled as I don't normally like to be that connected on my cell phone. My tablet on the other hand has them both :D My phone I want it for when I need it though for calls, e-mails and texts at home. I can get 3-4 days a lot of times. Motorola if those who care.

I will say the park Wi-Fi was dismal this time as well. Kept losing signal on all 3 cell phones (iPhone, Samsung, and Motorola). The iPhone and Samsung we just gave up using wifi on it was that bad. My moto I used to upload but noticed it just didn't stay connected. Was totally fine in room/resort though.

Uncle Lupe

Be smart, get an iPhone.

How prolific are exchange stations in the parks? Some of these recharging devices have a very low price point now to own. Some start at $3.

Florida_is_hot

I only load the "My Disney Experience" app before a vacation and uninstall after my vacation, for this reason. The App is not open it should not drain anything from the battery this is rogue and unacceptable behavior.

Cosmic Commando

I updated the MDE app last night after who knows how long... now this is happening to me. :facepalm: I took away its location permission for now, and I guess I'll just deal with it on vacation if it's still happening.

Sonic Sunglasses

This sort of thing happens with Android apps after an update, even apps written by Google. You'll need to force-stop the MDE app, clear the app's cache (NOT the app's data), then restart it. There's nothing premeditated or nefarious about the battery drain.

Concerning the app running in the background; any app that can push notifications, such as MDE, will run in the background. That's the nature of the beast. Typically they don't use much battery power through the course of a normal day. The only way to stop it completely is to disable the app or uninstall it.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom