My brain hurts...need help with DDP

Figaro928

Original Poster
Staying from March 3rd to the 9th with 2 adults and 1 child. How many dining credits do i have on the basic plan? 6 TS credits or 7 per person?

Trying to crunch numbers to see if it is worth it.

Figaro928

Original Poster
thanks . thats what i thought. I had calculated for 7 credits and was only roughly saving $10 for the trip - even with the more expensive of the resturants that we wanted to try. No way its worth it for our family :(

belledream

It isn't for us either unless it's 'free' or discounted. There are so many things that we could share (desserts) or forgo (sodas) that makes it not worth it at full price.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
It isn't worth it for almost anyone, but people seem to like having their meals pre-paid. If you are staying longer or going twice in year, then get an AP and the TiW card. Otherwise, put what you would have spent on the dining plan on to a Disney Gift Card, and spend what you have left on souvenirs on your last day!

belledream

Just crunching numbers - is it safe to assume ~$4 for a snack and ~$10 for a quick service
That sounds about right. QS foods like burgers/chicken tenders/hot dogs will be ~$7-9, and more interesting selections at places like BOG and around the World Showcase can get up to $14.

Most snacks are under $5.

And yes, breakfast at Disney is cheaper than lunch/dinner dining.

Figaro928

Original Poster
OK - off the dining plan! I have a 4yo and 2 y o so I'm not expecting them to eat a ton anyway (since he's free i was already planning on them sharing meals) My husband nor I ever drink soda - only water, but he's a morning coffee drinker. We are both good at splitting meals/snacks. I think this will absolutely work for us!

I never did Disney without a dining plan. Last September we got the free dining - so that was a no brainer. And before that it was in the late 90's & early 2000's when the dining plan was INSANE - the epitome of gluttony :p

stevehousse

OK - off the dining plan! I have a 4yo and 2 y o so I'm not expecting them to eat a ton anyway (since he's free i was already planning on them sharing meals) My husband nor I ever drink soda - only water, but he's a morning coffee drinker. We are both good at splitting meals/snacks. I think this will absolutely work for us!

I never did Disney without a dining plan. Last September we got the free dining - so that was a no brainer. And before that it was in the late 90's & early 2000's when the dining plan was INSANE - the epitome of gluttony :p
If u do use the dining plan and have a kid under 3 when they r free, eat at a lot of buffets. They can get a plate and not be charged since they r free instead of "splitting" kids meals...

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Just crunching numbers - is it safe to assume ~$4 for a snack and ~$10 for a quick service
No quick service can go up to $15 -$20 bucks per person per meal easily. Some QS meals not including your drink yet can be $15 bucks just for the entree. Some snacks in the can be $5 or so as well that would be included on the plan so more than $4 as well. :).
Me and DH always get the dining plan and pay for it just so we don't have to pay our of pocket for our meals and snacks. We like the idea it's pre paid for. Plus we usually do save some as well. :)

Figaro928

Original Poster
Just to get some ideas - what are some of the best QS meals to split ( ones with a generous portion)?

I know last time we were there we split the Flame Tree combo and were content with all the food. ANy other suggestions like that?

dreamfinder

Depends. ~$10 might be low for a QS meal that includes the entree, dessert and a drink. (Which is what the dining plan includes) The entree itself will often run $8-$10. $3-4 for dessert, and $2-3 for drink. You can see menu prices by going to the appropriate park & restaurant here -> http://www.wdwmagic.com/dining.htm and then clicking "Menus".

This is where the dining plan gets iffy. Yes, if you were to buy an entree, a fountain soda, and dessert for each CS meal (leaning towards the more expensive items) then yes, you most likely end up saving money. But if you don't want the dessert every time, want to share the drink, or drink ice water (you can get ice water for free at any CS just by asking), then the savings quickly disappear.

The only way to really figure out if the dining plan works is to look at the menu prices on line, and guess what you would eat. Not what you would eat on the dining plan, but what you would really want to eat. Then add it up, and compare to the cost of the dining plan.

ratherbeinwdw

Unless you are a big eater or want to do character meals, then I don't see how it can be worth the price. We've gone enough times that I know how much we'll eat. We get tired of eating so much, quickly. Many days we eat a buffet breakfast and quick service late afternoon or brunch and a nice dinner. So, many days we only eat two meals a day and a great dessert. When I've crunched the numbers using allears menu prizes, we don't even come close to the daily amount you pay on the dining plan. I also check the Disney site for prices and menus as they do change and that will usually be the most up-to-date. However, there are some prices they don't give. That's when I go to this site or allears.

Figaro928

Original Poster
I crunched the numbers...ugh I broke a sweat doing it!!!

For my family, the Disney Dining Plan is $843 added to the 6 night park tickets. Adding up 3 refillable mugs x $18 ; 18 snack credits @ 3.50 each; 12 adult QS @ $18 each; 6 child QS @ $7 each; 6 TS that we chose with their exact prices it came to.....a grand total of......$846

Off the Dining plan, 3 snacks a day @$3.50; two split adult $11 meals a day, no soda, no dessert; one refillable mug, 6 child QS meals @ $7 and 5 TS meals - choosing lunch over dinner and the cheaper entrees and no dessert, the prices came to.....$602

phew... So if we got the DDP and utilized it relatively effiecently it would basically be a wash - or at most a savings of $3 (woohoo)

I think no matter which way we choose, I'm going to be looking at prices and crunching numbers there. But if I'm on the DDP, I'll be looking for the more expensive items and the most bang for my buck - plus the trip will be that much more decadent. We were playing around with the idea of rather than doing to DDP, getting a Disney gift card with $700 on it and use that like a dining plan. - Has anyone ever done something like that before?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom