Pre-Trip My birthday at Disney Springs??! Don't mind if I do!

We really had no plans to return to Orlando before our upcoming trip in November for our first DVC adventure, but sometimes plans change. Dennis is changing jobs at the end of June and we decided it would be good to get away for a few days in the weeks between the end of one era and the beginning of the next. We looked at several options including Niagra Falls, Hilton Head, and Myrtle Beach but alas we found the best deal at Disney Springs. Thanks to an employer discount we found a fantastic deal at the Best Western at Disney Springs that just so happened to coincide with my birthday. Yes, please. We will drive from Columbus overnight on June 10th and then spend 4 nights and 5 days soaking in some hot Florida sun! We have my birthday dinner reserved at Art Smith's Homecomin' and I managed to snag another bucket list item on Groupon with half priced tickets for Characters in Flight. We plan to visit Coco Beach for a day and will have family portraits done at either Boardwalk or Animal Kingdom Lodge on Wednesday. No parks this trip, but I'm sure we will still manage to soak in plenty of the Disney Magic. We can't wait to be "home" again!!

bee

This sounds wonderful! No-parks trips can be so relaxing and just as magical as parks-ful trips. Will you be dining at Boardwalk or AKL before/after your portraits?

SweetEvangeline

Original Poster
So plans have changed a bit, but its right around the corner! We are now staying at Pop Century thanks to a Summer room-only discount. We made breakfast reservations at Whispering Canyon (a first for us) on Wednesday and will have breakfast at Port Orleans French Quarter on Thursday before we head home. We can't wait to try the beignets! The rest of the meals and plans will be decided on the fly. No over-planning on this one! 2 more days!! :)

SweetEvangeline

Original Poster
Only a few more hours until we head south. We will be driving overnight and hopefully arriving at POP by around 11:00 tomorrow morning. Our plans for family pictures have unfortunately been canceled due to a death in the photographers family so we will have to squeeze that in during our next trip. I will try to post some live updates but no promises!

SweetEvangeline

Original Poster
We left Columbus just slightly later than we planned. We had a graduation party for a close friend to attend so we packed up the car so we could leave from there. We've been driving all night with little to no traffic and so far no slow downs. It's now 6 AM And we are almost ready to stop for breakfast in Valdosta. Grace only slept about 3 hours all night so it's going to be a long day. Exactly why we didn't make plans for the day! We should arrive at Pop Century right on schedule and just in time for lunch!

SweetEvangeline

Original Poster
IMG_3437.JPG
We made it! And our room is ready!! Let the fun begin!!

SweetEvangeline

Original Poster
We got unpacked, and headed to the food court for lunch. After a yummy meal, we relaxed at the pool for a couple of hours. We were surprised that there doesn't seem to be many people here right now.

We decided on Disney Springs for dinner but unfortunately by the time we arrived it was raining. After a quick walk to a covered area, the flood gates opened and it POURED!! We managed to make it into Planet Hollywoods lobby just to get out of the rain. We checked for a reservation but no luck. I decided to go to the hostess station anyway and they sat us immediately. SCORE!! It's one of the places we've wanted to try and we were not disappointed. We had the hummus sampler and Dennis and I shared the turkey pic-a-nic sandwich which was amazing! Grace chose spaghetti and meatballs. Surprise, surprise! LOL. We loved the atmosphere and our service was great too!
Unfortunately it was still raining after dinner but we came prepared with umbrellas so we headed for gelato for dessert. WOW, what a treat that was!!

We did a little more shopping to walk off some of the dinner but we were all exhausted after the all night drive, so we called it a night and fell asleep watching Toy Story 2 in our room.

Today is my birthday and I hope the rain stays away long enough to get in our ride on the balloon at Disney Springs! We will have dinner at Art Smiths Homecomin' tonight. Can't wait to try that one!!

wwmmd

Another fellow Cbus'er :). I think a WDW vacation with no parks sounds delightful! We ate at Homecomin' on Christmas Day and it was very good. We weren't a fan of the chips that came with the sandwiches, but everything else was delicious. We're heading down in September and for the first time NOT driving. Yay! Happy Birthday!

SweetEvangeline

Original Poster
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG
Thanks!! It's been a great day!!! Started out with breakfast at Cap't Cooks and a stroll around our favorite resort. I Decided I deserved a dole whip after breakfast (it's fruit after all!!) and the sweet guy working told me he didn't have any other customers yet so he called Mickey to see what he should do and Mickey told him to give this one to me on his behalf, and to wish me a happy birthday! Disney Magic at its finest, folks. I may be 46, but I'm still a child at heart! This is why we return over and over again. No one can match the way Disney makes you feel!

We walked the beautiful path over to The Grand Floridian and just soaked in the atmosphere. Then we caught the monorail back to Magic Kingdom and walked the path to the Contemporary. From the there we took the bus to Disney Springs. We bought groupons for Characters in Flight before we left and since it may rain again tonight we decided to use it now. Very cool!! We had lunch at Earl of Sandwich as we weren't super hungry then headed back to Pop for some pool time before dinner.

It started to rain again just as we left for Disney Springs but we didn't let that damper our spirits. We had a delicious dinner and great service at Homecoming!! We will definitely be going back again. We shopped some more before ending the evening at Sprinkles. It's been a perfect Disney day!!

Attachments

• IMG_3459.JPG
    IMG_3459.JPG
    212.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3457.JPG
    IMG_3457.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 34

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom