My Beast of Burden 100 miler

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Ok, so BoB 100 is in a few weeks. You can check this thread for live updates from my wonderful wife Alison, as I once again, destroy my body for 100 miles. Since just coming off of a 100 miler in March and a few 50 milers right after, I feel pretty good. But the 100 miler is an equalizer...it breaks everyone no matter what.

Anyway, there might be a live video feed at the race, so I'll post the link here when I find out.

You can post your questions about my nutrition, training, gear, etc... on here if you would like :D

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
can you explain what this is? it sounds hard but amazing :)
Ultra distance. Technically any running distance over a marthon (26.2), but in the small, protective, cult-like ultra community, we consider 50 miles very bare minimum, the 100 miler being the standard. I DNF'd (did not finish) my first 100 last year (like most people who run them), and finished the same race again this year in 21hrs, 31 mins, 45secs of continuous running. I've run a s--t load of 50 milers over the past year and 1/2, and doing another 100 miler in August. I'll also being running a solo 223 mile from the top of NJ to the south in the fall. I'll be running the NJ100 mi again, and next May is my big run...McNaughton/Peak Races 500 mile ultra.

You should prob look up this stuff to get a crash course:
Western States 100
Leadville 100
Hardrock 100
UTMB
Marathon de Sables
HURT 100
ultrarunning.com

The sub-culture will drive you insane, but that should get you started.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
BTW: my training schedule is alternating 25 miles and 30 miles every morning, Monday-Friday, and a couple times a month I will throw in a 40-50 miler on the weekends.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Nutrition question: I can't handle bananas. Were you the one carrying baked potatoes as an alternative? How do you carry your nutrition? Ketchup breaks are not an option for me. :D

Good luck!

I did carry baked potatoes, and bananas occasionly. I stick to more of a liquid fuel durIng long runs and training because of the nausea. Carry: i couple my hydrarion pack with a custom vest that I carry my main nutrition and first aid in. You can see pics of my 25 pound set up on fb.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Cool. I just watched a video about the 2010 Western States 100 (quite a comeback by the winner). How do you find time for all your long training runs? Do you get up super early? I've been running a couple of times a week, getting up at 4:30 and I'm not sure I could do more.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Geoff, who won 2010 is a great guy. Killian, Hal, and Tony are top notch ultra guys. 2012 was epic.

I get up super early, yes. My work day doesn' start until after lunch, so I have the mornings to kill it. It's not training or even a commitment...it's a lifestyle.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Next weekend is it. You can check out the site here: http://summer100.com/
They should have the live web cam up next weekend. Look for the psycho in all black who looks ready for war :D and listen for the famous Animal Camp 'barking' at the start line.
I'll post detailed gear and nutrition stuff if people are interested.

wiigirl

Good Luck! wow!

75.gif

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
Original Poster
Unfortunately, my wonderful wife and head of crew will not be joining me next weekend. My 3rd in command crew member ( also my head pacer) will be relaying info to my wife, who will then post my updates. I will try to text her and Joel directly when I can of my condition; mileage, fatigue, nausea, etc...
Coryna (fmingo for thosr who don't know), ypu will be missed and your laughter and smiling face will be branded on my brain in those tough miles.
Remember folks, when you are snuggled in your beds on Saturday night, I'll still be running and in the most horrible pain...and that's prob only halfway. I can't do these 100 milers without support, so post away, my wife will relay the messeges to me. It's on...

fmingo36

I will be with there in spirit that is for sure. Wish it was a bit closer because you know I'd be there!
Ah, who knows, maybe I'll show up in my roadrunner costume again. BEEP-BEEP!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom