My 2016 Food & Wine Festival Thread

Eddie Garrison

Original Poster
Yesterday we headed over to EPCOT for Day 1 of the 2016 Food & Wine Festival. We'll be returning at least once a week to sample and share what we find, how it was and our favourites throughout the festival.

The Passports are a bit different this year. Instead of getting each kiosk to stamp your book, there is a centre page in the passport itself that has stickers that correspond to the country you are sampling.

Here is how day 1 went for us.

The crowd level were not overly excessive to us. Most kiosks we were able to walk right up order & pay with out anyone in front of us at all. The only time we stood in any sort of queue was at South Korea.

Now, getting to the food!

First up was from a new offering at Greenhouse Guru. We sampled the Heirloom Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese, Aged Balsamic Vinegar & Micro-Basil. Also the Chilled Tomato Gazpacho with lump crab meat.
14316707_1449999131693285_1886418615404101048_n.jpg

Next we headed over to Farm Fresh to try the Chicken & Dumplings and the Pickled Beet Salad with Herbed Goat Cheese and toasted walnuts.
14199508_1449999141693284_6812323308454969502_n.jpg

Our third stop took us to Australia for one of my wife's favourites from previous years. Grilled Lamb Chop with Mint Pesto & Potato Crunchies.
14355618_1449999188359946_7926696607886694202_n.jpg

Our fourth and final stop of the day was at South Korea. We went for the Korean Style BBQ Beef with steamed rice and Cucumber Kimchi.
14317437_1449999191693279_6873735163021210444_n.jpg

My favourite of the first day was the Korean BBQ beef. My wife, who happens to be South Korean, turned me on to Bulgogi some time ago. This tasted just as good as our favourite Korean BBQ restaurant here in Orlando, just the pulled form instead of small strips as it is in the restaurant.

Looking forward to heading back next week to try some other countries offerings. A stew from Scotland looked awesome and I am really looking forward to giving that a go.

Any questions, ask away!

Me 'Earties

Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate
Grilled lamb chop is my fav too!! And also love bulgogi, and we're fortunate that we have a huge Korean population in my area (even the local deli makes it LOL). I'll have to try it at F&W next week. Thanks for sharing!!

Eddie Garrison

Original Poster
Interesting that the Korean beef is pulled/shredded this year. Hubby and I really enjoyed the short ribs last year, is the flavor of this years similar to last? It still looks good though.

Yes it is. It was very good and like I said ... Very similar to our favourite Korean BBQ restaurant here in Orlando. The short ribs were very good last year as well! And to me, the offering in this style you seem to get more than last year. I could be wrong and maybe it's just the pulled'shredded style that is fooling me.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Yes it is. It was very good and like I said ... Very similar to our favourite Korean BBQ restaurant here in Orlando. The short ribs were very good last year as well! And to me, the offering in this style you seem to get more than last year. I could be wrong and maybe it's just the pulled'shredded style that is fooling me.

Nothing with getting more for your money! Even if it just seems like more!;)

Phonedave

Interesting that the Korean beef is pulled/shredded this year. Hubby and I really enjoyed the short ribs last year, is the flavor of this years similar to last? It still looks good though.

Pulled = cheaper.

bulgogi is acutally any grilled thin meat, while galbi is short ribs (traditionally cut across the bone - flanken style, but can also be cut in strips using a butterfly method from traditional cut short ribs).

The price on short ribs, either cut, has gone through the roof - but then so has the price on most beef. I can get good flank steak for about $4.50 / lb - but only in 10 lb cryovac.

I suspect that shredded meat is both cheaper, and easier to perform portion controll with.

-dave

Eddie Garrison

Original Poster
Pulled = cheaper.

bulgogi is acutally any grilled thin meat, while galbi is short ribs (traditionally cut across the bone - flanken style, but can also be cut in strips using a butterfly method from traditional cut short ribs).

The price on short ribs, either cut, has gone through the roof - but then so has the price on most beef. I can get good flank steak for about $4.50 / lb - but only in 10 lb cryovac.

I suspect that shredded meat is both cheaper, and easier to perform portion controll with.

-dave

That makes sense. Especially on the cost side :)

Though I thought Bulgogi actually translated to "fire meat" in Korean. Bul = fire and Gogi = meat

Phonedave

That makes sense. Especially on the cost side :)

Though I thought Bulgogi actually translated to "fire meat" in Korean. Bul = fire and Gogi = meat

It does - it is meat cooked over fire (such as a grill). It pertains to the cooking method, any meat is fine, but usually if they don't say what kind of meat, it is meant to be beef.

Galbi is a particular dish, that is most of the time a kind of bulgogi. Galbi means rib meat, and sometimes they call it just galbi and other times you will see it called bulgalbi - fire rib. So bulgol is any kind of meat (but mainly beef if not specified) cooked over fire. Galbi is rib meat, and usually refers to short ribs cooked over a fire, but that technicaly is called Bulgalbi.

So the stuff at EPCOT could be bulgogi (if it was grilled over a fire) but it is not galbi, unless it is shredded rib meat (and why would you do that)

Up until about 4 years ago I lived next to Palisades Park NJ. The population of PalPark NJ is over 50% Korean. There are a LOT of Korean restaruants. I still mix things up, but I got schooled a number of times when I would go out to eat with friends. Barbecue and Kimchi seem to be very popular subjects.

-dave

Eddie Garrison

Original Poster
It does - it is meat cooked over fire (such as a grill). It pertains to the cooking method, any meat is fine, but usually if they don't say what kind of meat, it is meant to be beef.

Galbi is a particular dish, that is most of the time a kind of bulgogi. Galbi means rib meat, and sometimes they call it just galbi and other times you will see it called bulgalbi - fire rib. So bulgol is any kind of meat (but mainly beef if not specified) cooked over fire. Galbi is rib meat, and usually refers to short ribs cooked over a fire, but that technicaly is called Bulgalbi.

So the stuff at EPCOT could be bulgogi (if it was grilled over a fire) but it is not galbi, unless it is shredded rib meat (and why would you do that)

Up until about 4 years ago I lived next to Palisades Park NJ. The population of PalPark NJ is over 50% Korean. There are a LOT of Korean restaruants. I still mix things up, but I got schooled a number of times when I would go out to eat with friends. Barbecue and Kimchi seem to be very popular subjects.

-dave

Yup!

My wife is from South Korea and got me into Korean BBQ and food in general, for obvious reasons. One of my favourite foods now though!!

Eddie Garrison

Original Poster
After the rains rolled through Orlando yesterday, we headed over to EPCOT for some more Food & Wine fun. Stopped in at Canada, Scotland, Ireland & France last evening. Crowded for a Tuesday evening to be honest. But I think it had more to do with the weather clearing, MNSSHP and EPCOT on EMH. All together, we didn't wait any longer than five minutes at any kiosk.

Here are the offerings we snacked on!

Steak in Canada of course!
14445951_1455398707819994_5701233928180803054_n.jpg

14370341_1455398734486658_7255585390148872158_n.jpg

Prize for the largest portion goes to Scotland and their Lamb Stew. Very tasty!
14358920_1455398781153320_6251334314643331318_n.jpg

One of my favourites ... Fisherman's pie from Ireland
14446127_1455398827819982_2225919661659797020_n.jpg

And of course the short ribs from France. So tender! Love this at Chefs de France as well!
14390958_1455957137764151_2100671771549814806_n.jpg

Simba's Mom

Jealous. Looks like I only get one F&W trip this year in November. Going to visit family in south Texas in October so I'll just have to fill up on Whataburger, Tex-Mex, gulf seafood and Shipley Do-Nuts.

Sounds like you'll be down our way, maybe down in the Valley?

Eddie Garrison, I really appreciate what you're doing, showing us all the pictures and reviewing the F&W festival offerings. Thanks to you, I'm especially looking forward to that stew in Scotland!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom