My 19th Visit - 20th Sep for 4 Days VERY DISAPPOINTING

mattie1985ariel

Original Poster
I just returned from Disneyland Paris, and ive been 19 times since it opened in 1992.

I have to say i was very dissapointed.

Parts of the park look extremely scruffy and need a repaint, the big thunder mountain queue area needs some tender love and care with immediate effect.

The staff seem so lazy and slow in shops and restaurants.

the merchandise in the shops is pretty poor, its the same stuff in each shop. We were very dissapointed to find that Belle and Rapunzel were pretty much more apparent than any other princess in the stores. There was hardly ANY Ariel Merchandise, yet the DVD has just been re released. Also NO Wreck it Ralph ANYWHERE. Very dissapointed in this as I struggled to spend my money which i very excitedly saved a lot of in the hope of bringing lots home.

The overall running of the park was a joke. Considering they have been open 21 years it took us 45 minutes to get in Disneyland park & Disney studios each day (at the ticket turnstyles) and there was only around 45 people in front of us. A lot of people pushing and shoving, and even smoking in queues. Despite numerous tanny announcements advising people not to. The magic hours need re looking at IMO. 2 hours in a morning with hardly any attractions open!!! It was too busy again, then when Frontierland opned at 10 it was a stampede of parents pulling children to big thunder mountain which was supposed to let people on at 10 and didnt open until 1025. Even then people had managed to push their way in front of us when we were on of the first in line and we ended up waiting 40 minutes for that!

The Parade was lovely but it has been there since the 15th Birthday, I think its time for a new one.

Disney Dreams i have to admit was absoloutly amazing the best thing ive seen in a park worldwide, however we were sat in front of the castle an hour and a half before the show just to grab a decent spot.

The hotel we stayed in was a joke from the 2nd day onwards (new york) it was that full that they had to open the hotel bar as a breakfast bar set up. Which was not enjoyable. this was at 7am!!!!

Disney village is a complete mess. The sign has been removed and looks disgusting and unfinished. the shop facades are in need or re paints and an update and sell the same things as the parks.

Meeting disney characters in the park is impossible. In florida people wait patiently in line yet in paris they gather around the character like a a fight is about to unravel. Then its survival of the fittest to see who can get to the character for a autograph or photo. I really feel for the actors, they must feel so claustrophobic with all those angry and pushy parents shoving their kids towards them.

Luckily we booked a character breakfast.

Ratatouille is taking forever, why are disney getting so sloppy with building attractions. Toy story playland is poor, fancy making a land that children will love and placing one attraction suitable for them (slinky dog).

I do think Disneyland Paris could benefit greatly from a mass investment of money into the studios like California Adventura had. Maybe add a lake for World of colour and a cars land or somthing along those lines. Get the footfall of the studios higher with more attractions and take care of these beautiful parks.

IMO I would love to see the Little Mermaid green lit for Fantasyland next to its a small world opposite Bella Note, this heavy loader would benefit the park due to its haunted mansion style omnimover.

A third gate is probably out of the question until the studios gets sorted but i can wish.

I would also love to see Disney Village updated.

So I am very disappointed with my recent trip.

We will be going again next year, only because we take my nephew each year. And I hope for some improvements.

However I am also booked for me and my partner to go to Walt Disney World in November 2014, I went last in Oct 2012 and Loved it. Disney World is definitely slow on improvements too but with more choice in the parks its much quieter and its never took me 40 minutes to get through the turnstiles there!!!

21 Years Disneyland Paris, you think you could get it right by now!!!

mattie1985ariel

Original Poster
I am a Disney Nut and always will be but I was very very disappointed :-( quite upset really.

Across the WHOLE resort too they only had Belle or Rapunzel 17inch singing dolls. None of the others, and I wanted an Ariel!!!

IWantMyMagicBand

The overall running of the park was a joke. Considering they have been open 21 years it took us 45 minutes to get in Disneyland park & Disney studios each day (at the ticket turnstyles) and there was only around 45 people in front of us. A lot of people pushing and shoving, and even smoking in queues. Despite numerous tanny announcements advising people not to. The magic hours need re looking at IMO. 2 hours in a morning with hardly any attractions open!!! It was too busy again, then when Frontierland opned at 10 it was a stampede of parents pulling children to big thunder mountain which was supposed to let people on at 10 and didnt open until 1025. Even then people had managed to push their way in front of us when we were on of the first in line and we ended up waiting 40 minutes for that!

Meeting disney characters in the park is impossible. In florida people wait patiently in line yet in paris they gather around the character like a a fight is about to unravel. Then its survival of the fittest to see who can get to the character for a autograph or photo. I really feel for the actors, they must feel so claustrophobic with all those angry and pushy parents shoving their kids towards them.

21 Years Disneyland Paris, you think you could get it right by now!!!

I agree with all of your post but these 3 things the most.

One thing DLRP needs to get right is the queuing, and smoking in public areas. If my children were to develop any smoking related illness or disease, Disney will be getting sued by me because they are never ever exposed to cigarette smoke unless in DLRP. It is disgusting. It is private property so they can make their own rules and should create smoking areas. But then the CMs don't enforce it or reprimand.
I know French people, and the French I know are lovely, but would I go away with them? Never. They can't wait their turn, they are far too loud and just downright rude.

The character greeting is the worst. We saw Peter and Wendy come out and stand between Fantasyland and Adventureland, under the wooden bridge. Immediately they were surrounded by French teenagers and they each had a 2 minute conversation with them. I asked the CM (Michel) when would be our turn (my kids were 7,4 and 2) as it was getting pretty rough in the scrum. He said he is not there to intervene, just be there for the cast's safety. I literally threw my kids at Peter and Wendy as it was the only way to get them to them. As characters they should be addressing the little kids first, they are the ones who believe they are actually them. I then told Peter and Wendy who was next in line, and who after that and who after that.
We don't even bother with the celebration parade train anymore as you have to huddle as if you are going to be run over by a stampede of elephants.
And I'm going to invest in some tops that have sharp items sticking on the back to avoid people kneeing me in the back when I am waiting for the parade. Oh, and the parade. I sit there for 45 minutes to get my turn and some a*hole chucks their kids next to me, forcing us all to move, just as the parade starts. Then you get the adults sitting on the pavement, not to supervise their kids but to jut out in front of you with their massive camera so they can get the best shot. It bloody passes right by you, idiot!!!

The staff are miserable, only one has ever stuck out as truly loving his job.

We are coming up to our 10th visit in a few weeks time, I'll obviously be posting my trip report too ;)

One thing, you probably know the damage Meg Crofton has done to WDW. Well, guess where she's been assigned to take over now?!?!? Yes, it should be right after 21 years, but she's going to make it a whole lot worse before it better :(

croboy82

I can confirm that the shops are boring, when I was there almost 3 years ago I didn't buy anything cause there was just nothing worth it!!

And meeting characters is all wrong too. I remember clearly how once Cinderella suddenly appeared close to the dumbo ride and I within seconds there were 30 kids arround here, people pushing, total Chaos. I didn't even feel like waiting or pushing away any children so I left.

I know part of the magic is that they suddenly appear but organized meet&greats would be much better.

mattie1985ariel

Original Poster
They cant just appear in paris, they get mobbed as soon as they walk out, and then cant move anywhere lol.

I just wish they had a Ariel meet and greet with Ariel in Mermaid form this would make me very happy.

TheDisneyMagic

I find their merchandise fluctuates throughout the year, I went early this year and found loads of exclusive merchandise including attraction specific on the other hand I just got back a few days ago and was disappointed in the merchandise this time round. I have found this to be the case for the last few years.

My biggest issues in attractions at the moment are:

Pirates of the Caribbean: Singing Pirate stationary, sword duelling Pirate's completely behind a blind (I hope this means they are being worked on), lady who calls from second floor window "No Carlos don't be Chicken...." not appearing, Chains in the lift hill scene still not moving and very low audio throughout the attraction. - I hope once Phantom Manor re-opens Pirates will get some much needed love but I am sure most of these problems could be taken care of third shift.

Moteurs Action: All the ramps are not being used (except the portable ramps that allow the cards to travel on two wheels) this leads to a very underwhelming finale an scenes loosing their purpose such as the reverse hero car no longer has a purpose.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster: Having trouble with on-board audio, this has been going on now for over a year with the majority of the trains now completely silent. RNRC is a pretty boring coaster without the music and this is a shame because they put a nice new lighting package in not too long ago. I still hate the butchering of the preshow as well with the over dubbed announcement.

Last edited:

TheDisneyMagic

I have never had any problems with Cast Members, yes it is not quite the same as the American cousins but I have always put that down to the language barrier, I did notice on a couple of recent trips that there are a lot more Cast Members on stage with tattoos now, I have seen them on Cast Members arms, wrists and necks which I have never seen in a Disney theme park in years.

I agree with you about their management of Guest flow, take the Studio Tram Tour for example, they have no control or organisation getting people on there quickly guests literally are ushered in to a cow pen, then free for all getting on the trams. It doesn't help that even during the peak season this summer they only seem to be running two vehicles!

TheDisneyMagic

I will give them their due on attempting to restore the park over the last couple of years, there has been a lot of working going on throughout Disneyland Parc with general painting and maintenance, when I was there just last week I could see they were working on the entrance way to Adventureland as well as Restaurant Agrabah café.

They just need to keep this work up, the gold pillars at the entrance are peeling noticeably, although I am sure the regular stone colouring will be returning soon with the 20th over in a few days.

mattie1985ariel

Original Poster
I totally agree with your comment about pirates - I noticed this too - like the bamboo curtains down in front of scenes!

I think that disney just seem to be taking much longer on a whole these days. Look at universal studios Orlando. The speed of their construction is how didn't need to be. Snow White in new fantasyland is taking forever and Harry potter part 2 will be ready next year!!!!

I just don't think the right people are running the parks

What are they prioritising for all of these falls to take place

LondonGopher

Yes, all this and more (or should that be less?)...DLP has NEVER been as clean or as well-maintained as either American resort. Noticed that first visit - muck and grime everywhere, MUSHROOMS growing out of damp patches in corners and cracks in walls (I took pictures of the fungi - have them somewhere...). And gorgeous areas like the steampunk-y Discoveryland have been allowed to just...rot.

Because here's the thing: Euro Disney (as it was when we first went) SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BUILT IN FRANCE. This sounds harsh (and I am not harsh, I am round and freckly) - but it is true.

Let me preface this by saying: I LOVE FRANCE. I love it. My husband and I fell in love there and we live near Avignon for 2 months of the year. I LOVE THE FRENCH (the hubbles and I are both French speakers and that helps). The Euro/French twists to the attractions/parades/shows are fascinating. But French & EU labor laws and the attitudes/precedents that have followed them are a big problem. When we stayed at Newport (in JUNE! 2008?) the pool was open for 4 hours per day - you had to sign in and out and on and on...Bonkers! Tell me how this would go over in Les Etats-Unis!

And that doesn't even BEGIN to get into the whole mob/push/shove/queue jump mess - which is even MORE annoying to me than the INCREDIBLY disobliging park hours and REVOLTING food (in France! Mon Dieu! - sorry, couldn't resist...). I gave up trying to get character photos in the parks - my kid, like most kids in the English-speaking world (and Northern Europe and Japan - help me out if I'm missing anybody here! Don't want to offend...) thinks pushing-in and line cutting is NOT FAIR, MOM!

But the line-up, wait your turn, personal space culture is our deal. They just don't do that in France (or Italy, Spain...). They're not being rude - they just do things differently. And this adds to an often uncomfortable "clash of cultures" atmosphere. The French (quite rightly, too) say, "Hey, this is France. Do it our way. Push in. Talk over the narrator. Cleaning up the parks would waste valuable cheese-eating time". (OK, I made that last bit up - but the "traditional" Disney attitudes have always been incompatible with France) I know why Disney went for Paris, but it was a mistake.

And again, I LOVE FRANCE. Euro Disney was a thing of beauty (no fiberglass for us, non!). And dirty park and all, we can get the train from St Pancras and be riding Space Mountain in four hours -and that is AWESOME. I wish I had some good ideas for a LONG-TERM fix (though I won't lie, am excited about new rides that aren't a 9-hour flight away...) but I think this is going to come (eventually) to a write-down, write-off, give up. And that makes me very sad. My two pence.

The Empress Lilly

Well I just visited DLP yesterday (hurrah for my francilien annual pass, €119 / $160, yay!)

I suppose we all agree on the bad, let me add some of the good:

- The Halloween decoration is fab. MS and Frontierland are really done up quite lovely.
- Vehicles on Main Street! One truck stationed on MS West for photo ops, and two driving up and down MS. It really adds atmosphere. Must be quite costly too, one private chauffeur for single families.
- Phantom Manor looked great actually, nifty little refurb.
- Dreams remains magnificent. Which is both a happy and a sad observation: namely, if Disney puts its mind (and money) to it, it does know how to wow and then some.
- Still free second coffee, served with themed napkins and Disney cups.
- The biggest gathering of strollers you see are the two themed period ones in Town Square for photo ops.
- Discoveryland may be a disaster, filthy and rotting. On the other end of the scale, Main Street looks absolutely fabulous. Spotless, so many details still intact, and the street has been blissfully spared from the Wallmartisation of MS WDW.

- Lastly, I'll eat my words if I'm wrong: Ratatouille is going to be the greatest thing since Cars Land. Well obviously on a more modest scale, but the quality is there. The façade is really coming along nicely, this is World Showcase quality.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Yes, all this and more (or should that be less?)...DLP has NEVER been as clean or as well-maintained as either American resort. Noticed that first visit - muck and grime everywhere, MUSHROOMS growing out of damp patches in corners and cracks in walls (I took pictures of the fungi - have them somewhere...). And gorgeous areas like the steampunk-y Discoveryland have been allowed to just...rot.

Because here's the thing: Euro Disney (as it was when we first went) SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN BUILT IN FRANCE. This sounds harsh (and I am not harsh, I am round and freckly) - but it is true.

Let me preface this by saying: I LOVE FRANCE. I love it. My husband and I fell in love there and we live near Avignon for 2 months of the year. I LOVE THE FRENCH (the hubbles and I are both French speakers and that helps). The Euro/French twists to the attractions/parades/shows are fascinating. But French & EU labor laws and the attitudes/precedents that have followed them are a big problem. When we stayed at Newport (in JUNE! 2008?) the pool was open for 4 hours per day - you had to sign in and out and on and on...Bonkers! Tell me how this would go over in Les Etats-Unis!

And that doesn't even BEGIN to get into the whole mob/push/shove/queue jump mess - which is even MORE annoying to me than the INCREDIBLY disobliging park hours and REVOLTING food (in France! Mon Dieu! - sorry, couldn't resist...). I gave up trying to get character photos in the parks - my kid, like most kids in the English-speaking world (and Northern Europe and Japan - help me out if I'm missing anybody here! Don't want to offend...) thinks pushing-in and line cutting is NOT FAIR, MOM!

But the line-up, wait your turn, personal space culture is our deal. They just don't do that in France (or Italy, Spain...). They're not being rude - they just do things differently. And this adds to an often uncomfortable "clash of cultures" atmosphere. The French (quite rightly, too) say, "Hey, this is France. Do it our way. Push in. Talk over the narrator. Cleaning up the parks would waste valuable cheese-eating time". (OK, I made that last bit up - but the "traditional" Disney attitudes have always been incompatible with France) I know why Disney went for Paris, but it was a mistake.

And again, I LOVE FRANCE. Euro Disney was a thing of beauty (no fiberglass for us, non!). And dirty park and all, we can get the train from St Pancras and be riding Space Mountain in four hours -and that is AWESOME. I wish I had some good ideas for a LONG-TERM fix (though I won't lie, am excited about new rides that aren't a 9-hour flight away...) but I think this is going to come (eventually) to a write-down, write-off, give up. And that makes me very sad. My two pence.
I would agree with most of that. Especially the difference in personal space in queues between north and south Europe.
But what is the alternative to Paris? Berlin? Brrr...too icy and cold. And that's...wait for it...wait for it...and that's just the people. The weather is too cold and chilly too. Spain? Italy? Better weather, sure. But the Spanish have only two volume levels: loud and screaming. And Italians are Frenchmen with all bad traits enlarged.

EuroDisney has to be somewhere in Europe, and you can't take the Europe out of it. Once you accept the inevitability of that, Paris is a fine choice. Very conveniently located to some of the densest populated areas of Europe, and the combination with the city itself is fantastic.

Paris is a good second best, after America, which will always be the only real thing. Disney simply is an American pop culture phenomenon. Best enjoyed in America. And with (North) Americans too, shhh...
paranoid.gif

Last edited:

LondonGopher

Nice to hear some good news - DLP has always done a good job with the autumn/Halloween stuff. And Ratatouille progess - great!

But the state of Main Street has always made me crabby. In a lot of ways, it seems like a cruel trick - look how beautiful and "true to the vision" our MS is - and then you round the corner and - Blam! Mushrooms...

I hope I am wrong. I would LOVE to eat my words (avec frites!). I am the first to admit that the corporate stuff is outside my understanding and experience - can only go with what I see/hear/feel in the parks. Has Meg C's posting made you more optimistic?

Keep us posted if you make any more visits (please!)...

EDIT: You and I were posting at the same time. I laughed out loud at the Berlin bit (ahh, it's funny 'cause it's true...). Where to put it? How 'bout an hour from my house (against the traffic)? Seriously, though - what about Kent? Limeys love Disney. Either Ashford or Ebbsfleet (or both) could have been used as a transport centre. And Kent is the Garden of England! Weather no worse than Paris (err...that's not saying much, is it?). And as for the combo deal - well, IMHO, London kicks Paris' butt. Though I might be a bit biased(that's why LondonGopher and not ParisGopher)...

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Ariel merch - yes, what's up with that? I had money burning in my pocket looking for Ariel stuff for my Mermaid-crazed niece. Couldn't find anything I liked.

Ariel also suffers from the unique problem that her look is difficult to copy. You can scarcely dress the little ones in seashells and fins. So for Ariel clothes they sell her wedding dress and accessories. But that doesn't look particularly Ariel, just a white /greenish wedding gown.

The Empress Lilly

Nice to hear some good news - DLP has always done a good job with the autumn/Halloween stuff. And Ratatouille progess - great!

But the state of Main Street has always made me crabby. In a lot of ways, it seems like a cruel trick - look how beautiful and "true to the vision" our MS is - and then you round the corner and - Blam! Mushrooms...

I hope I am wrong. I would LOVE to eat my words (avec frites!). I am the first to admit that the corporate stuff is outside my understanding and experience - can only go with what I see/hear/feel in the parks. Has Meg C's posting made you more optimistic?

Keep us posted if you make any more visits (please!)...
Meg Crofton wasn't very popular in Florida. At least, not with the fans.

DLP did announce a massive make-over program. Should be exciting. New rides, and a big sprucing up of the parks. I guess the 'Save DLP' action created some embarrassement. Probably because they are right, and anybody can visit DLP and take three hundred pictures of rusty, rotting, peeling corners of DLP to put on the internet.

mattie1985ariel

Original Poster
Does anyone have the link for the official release information about the future of Disneyland Paris then? With the new attractions and refurb or areas???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom