Must do's with 5 year old daughter

smelka

Original Poster
We are taking our second trip to DW in March ( we went a few years ago). This time it's just me and my kiddo and we're staying at Pop Century and I'm trying to plan plan plan, but I'm falling short.

In your experience (which I've noticed is vast :kiss:) can you tell me what the must do activities and dining?

Thanks so much!!
Karen & Maggie:wave:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Wake Tinkerbell at Magic Kingdom. They only let one child per day do this so you will need to be at MK at least 1/2 hour before opening and you will want to head straight to the store called Tinkerbell's treasures. It is behind the castle on the left. Once you get into the store ask the first CM you see if your daughter can wake Tinkerbell. If she is the first she will be given a wand and told to knock on Tink's jewelry box and wake her up. Once she does this the Tinkerbell sound and light will start flying around the store.

If you are feeling particularly lucky you can also head over to Tom Sawyer's island. Again you will need to be on the first raft over (generally it departs at 10 AM). Once you get there head toward the back of the island and keep an eye open for one of 3 or 4 paint brushes hidden on the island. They are the large 4 or 5 inch wide variety and if you find one you will get a free fastpass for either Splash Mountain or Thunder Mountain.

lilclerk

Do you normally have to pay for a fastpass? We're going to WDW for the first time next month, and I'm a bit confused about the fastpass'. Thank you in advance for your response!
Fastpasses are free with admission, so get them whenever you need them =) It's just fun to win them.

figmentmom

Do you normally have to pay for a fastpass? We're going to WDW for the first time next month, and I'm a bit confused about the fastpass'. Thank you in advance for your response!

No, fastpasses are free for all guests - you'll use your park passes to obtain them in the Fastpass machines located at those attractions for which Fastpasses are available. It's all explained in the park maps you'll get on the way into the park.

Smelka, I'd visit Fantasyland first thing in the morning, before it gets crowded, so your daughter can ride her favorite rides several times in a row. Just about the only thing I'd skip in Fantasyland is Snow White, especially if she doesn't like surprises (that witch is everywhere on that ride!) Everything else is lots of fun.

SAV

My daughter was 6 last year and absolutely loved the Festival of the Lion King show and Finding Nemo the musical at AK. As well as the Killimanjaro Safari. Make sure you stay for the best parade in all of Disney which is at AK. She loved the Voyage of the little Mermaid and Star Tours at DHS. At Epcot the big hits were the Turtle Talk with Crush, the Chinese acrobats, Soarin' and the Seas with Nemo and friends. MK is in its own world and there is sooo much to do there with a 5 year old.

The best bit of advice is to slow down and enjoy yourself. Don't let the "plan" ruin the trip, just use it as a guide and have fun.

Hope this helps.

lunalovegoddess

My kids loved The Seas With Nemo and Friends at Epcot. The nice thing is that there are a lot of activities at the theme parks for kids, aside from rides and shows. Depending on the time of year, there are festivals and special attractions set up. (For example, during the spring Flower and Garden Festival at Epcot, you can visit the French perfume garden.)

At Epcot in the afternoon, go to each pavilion in the World Showcase. There is an area set aside with markers and a mask to decorate, that you then take to each country to get stamped. Don't forget Innoventions. There are play areas at Imagination and Mission: Space, as well. There are Behind the Seed tours of the greenhouses, and a jumping water fountain outside of Imagination. OOH! And the koi pond outside of the Japanese restaurant. Pretty much, with a little exploration, you can find a lot of things to do if your child is too young for certain rides.

At Animal Kingdom, the jungle trek and forest trail have a similar passport program. The kids can identify animal scents, follow a map and identify animals, and sometimes "earn" a fastpass for Kilimanjaro Safaris. Lots of hidden trails for exploring. There is also a bunch of caves built into the oasis, with a bouncy bridge and colorful parrots... or they can dig in the Boneyard. Rafiki's Planet Watch features a train ride, a conservation station with small animal exhibits, and hands-on activities.

At the Studios, a must-see attraction is Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Make sure to Fastpass it or get the first showing of the day, because it's popular. MuppetVision 3D is a lot of fun as well. My kids liked the Playhouse Disney show when they were younger. There is a Bug's Life-themed playground practically behind the Sci-Fi restaurant.

At the Magic Kingdom, there are spitting camels at Aladdin, tiki god statues that spray you near the Jungle Cruise, Pooh's Playful Spot, and Storytime with Belle. If your daughter loves princesses, walk through the castle between stage shows. There is a detailed Cinderella mosaic. Um... there is really a lot to do at Magic Kingdom for younger kids, and I know I'm forgetting something.

Disneybird

In Sept., I went for 10 days. The first few days were with my mother, a brother and his 5 year old granddaughter. And this part of the trip was all about her.
We had breakfast at the Crystal Palace, dinner at Chef Mickey's and the character breakfast at Animal Kingdom. On arrival day, we took her to Downtown Disney and ate at the Rainforest Cafe (stayed at POFQ). My brother took her out on the Sprite boats from the Contemporary, and spent one afternoon letting her slide down the serpents tongue at the hotel pool.
At the Animal Kingdom, we were near the front of the line going in and she sat on a front bench and got to be in the show. All of the kids on the front benches get to participate. When we did the Safari ride, she was the official animal spotter and was given binoculars to use and a certificate as official animal spotter after the ride.
Also, at the time of year we went, the MK opened early 3 days a week for Little Ones Magic Hour and she sat on a bench with Mary Poppins and read a book, and played games with Peter Pan and Wendy.
But the best thing we did, was go to Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique one evening and have her hair done. The cheapest package was enough. Afterwards she said she would never wash her hair again. The next morning she dressed in a princess outfit she brought from home (less expensive that way), and we went to the princess breakfast at Restaurant Akershus. We have great pictures of her with Belle and the other princesses that were there that morning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom