Must Do's at the Disneyland Resort

IndianaJones

Original Poster
All right, so here goes my first thread. I haven't gone all the way through and looked for anything that might be similar so I apologize if it is.

What I want to know is what are your absolute must do things at DLR. This could be attractions, shows, restaurants, DTD, whatever you want to talk about!

I'm especially interested what you locals think. I'm a WDW pass holder, but Disneyland and DCA are my two favorite parks. I've been out there 3 times and am hoping to head out there again next year.

So I'm going to pick 3 things. The first one should be pretty easy to figure out....anyone? Bueller?

The Indiana Jones Adventure! This is my all time favorite theme park attraction. It's one of my absolute favorite queues. The level of detail is so awesome. As for the actual ride..amazing. Riding through there with the Raiders March playing makes my day every time. Particularly the boulder scene. It's the first thing I do every DLR trip and I try to make it the last thing.

This past trip my wife came with me for the first time. She's the type of person who will freak out a bit if she doesn't know what is coming. And freak out she did all the way through the ride. Her response after the fact though...."What are you waiting for? Let's do that again!" I might've shed a tear.

The other two things are things that are done around Christmas time. Those of course are The Haunted Mansion Holiday and It's a Small World Holiday. These two overlays I think are better then the actual rides themselves. It kills me that we don't do The Haunted Mansion Holiday in Florida, because I know it would be insanely popular. Small World would be tough because our ride is not identical. (Neither is HM but it is closer.)

I could go on about the things I love to do and maybe I will, but I want to hear from you guys. So what are your DLR must do's?

Californian Elitist

Fun thread! BTW, there aren't many WDW vets who prefer Haunted Mansion Holiday over Haunted Mansion. That is quite rare. I must say that I prefer "it's a small world" Holiday over the regular version. I think everyone does haha.

There are too many things I love to do at the DLR. One of them must include Indy, though. One of my favorite rides anywhere. I don't think I need to explain why it is. You've already done that for me.:D

Matterhorn, especially at night. Matterhorn is very nostalgic for me. Even though I hate the new bobsleds, I still love the ride.

There are way too many other things that I enjoy, so I'll just leave it at that.

Skibum1970

As another East coaster, Indy ranks at the top. Second must-do is Space Mountain as I greatly prefer the DL version (smoother and faster). Third is Pirates of the Caribbean as the extended ride is just awesome.

IndianaJones

Original Poster
As another East coaster, Indy ranks at the top. Second must-do is Space Mountain as I greatly prefer the DL version (smoother and faster). Third is Pirates of the Caribbean as the extended ride is just awesome.

Completely agree about both Space and Pirates. They both rank above ours. Particularly POTC. Those extended moments are amazing. Although our queue is better.

Figments Friend

Welcome Dr. Jones....

I would recommend for entertainment these three shows:

DL's "Fantasmic". -
Absolute MUST SEE and puts the FL version to sorry shame. You will not believe you eyes when the Dragon appears and threatens Mickey!
Even if you are not a fan of this show ( i am not one for the FL version..) definately make time to see at least one showing.
You will not be dissapointed and will love the obvious enhancements.

DCA's "World of Color" -

Yeah, it's another show based on watching videos on sprays of water...BUT the lighting effects and overall vibe in the Park is neat.
Well worth experiencing. There is nothing in FL to compare it with.

DL's currant day parade -

Lightyears ahead of recent WDW offerings you may already be too familiar with being a PH....make time to see DL's
'Mickey's Soundsational Parade'. Methinks you will be pleasantly surprised.

Now as far as attractions go, you already are a fan of what many consider one of the highlight attractions ( IJA ). Other highlights i would recommend:

The Matterhorn ( left line towards Fantasyland for a tamer ride, right line towards Tomorrowland for a slightly faster ride )
All the Fantasyland dark rides WDW no longer has, or never had ( Toad, Snow White, Alice, Pinocchio, etc, )
Peter Pan's Flight - Much better at DL...the in-ride effects are great !
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Be amused by the EPCOT 'American Adventure' material used during the presentation.
Sleeping Beauty Castle walk through. Some beautifully made dioramas showing scenes from the film. Well worth the stroll.
Disneyland Railroad - do not miss the awesome dioramas to be seen between TL and Main St. !

Cars Land / RSR - Highlight of DCA ...for sure.

Enjoy planning your next visit!
:)

IndianaJones

Original Poster
Welcome Dr. Jones....

I would recommend for entertainment these three shows:

DL's "Fantasmic". -
Absolute MUST SEE and puts the FL version to sorry shame. You will not believe you eyes when the Dragon appears and threatens Mickey!
Even if you are not a fan of this show ( i am not one for the FL version..) definately make time to see at least one showing.
You will not be dissapointed and will love the obvious enhancements.

DCA's "World of Color" -

Yeah, it's another show based on watching videos on sprays of water...BUT the lighting effects and overall vibe in the Park is neat.
Well worth experiencing. There is nothing in FL to compare it with.

DL's currant day parade -

Lightyears ahead of recent WDW offerings you may already be too familiar with being a PH....make time to see DL's
'Mickey's Soundsational Parade'. Methinks you will be pleasantly surprised.

Now as far as attractions go, you already are a fan of what many consider one of the highlight attractions ( IJA ). Other highlights i would recommend:

The Matterhorn ( left line towards Fantasyland for a tamer ride, right line towards Tomorrowland for a slightly faster ride )
All the Fantasyland dark rides WDW no longer has, or never had ( Toad, Snow White, Alice, Pinocchio, etc, )
Peter Pan's Flight - Much better at DL...the in-ride effects are great !
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln. Be amused by the EPCOT 'American Adventure' material used during the presentation.
Sleeping Beauty Castle walk through. Some beautifully made dioramas showing scenes from the film. Well worth the stroll.
Disneyland Railroad - do not miss the awesome dioramas to be seen between TL and Main St. !

Cars Land / RSR - Highlight of DCA ...for sure.

Enjoy planning your next visit!

Thanks for the welcome! Excited to not be lurking and actually talking.

I have done everything you mentioned outside of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, the current parade(I've only been there during Christmas time all 3 times), and the Castle walk through.

As a few of you have stated, Matterhorn is amazing especially at night. It's a beautiful attraction and an awesome thing to see when walking into the park.

The same can of course be said about Carsland at DCA. My family and I went out there in December and the first thing we did at DCA was run to Carsland(after looking at how beautiful Buena Vista Street was). The feelings that we got after seeing the mountain range for the first time we still talk about. It was amazing. And the ride was tons of fun as well. A cool hybrid thrill/dark ride.

And I love both World of Color and Fantastmic. Was disappointed we didn't see Fantasmic when we were last there.

Marc Gil

Indy, I know exactly how you feel... DCA has now become one of my favorite Disney Parks as well. It's phenomenally themed and richly detailed. Carsland was definitely a highlight for me. The Imagineers did an amazing creating this marvelously themed land. The rock work literally just took my breath away.

A huge must-do is definitely Radiator Springs Racers. It's honestly worth the 105 minute wait. It's a spectacular ride with so much to see!

Here is my list for must-do's at both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure:

Disneyland:
Pirates of the Caribbean (16 minutes of swashbuckling fun!)
Splash Mountain (Charming and cute, but wickedly thrilling!)
Space Mountain (A thrilling high speed race through the cosmos. I am in love with the soundtrack!)
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (Wait times could skyrocket, so come early for this treat!)
The Disneyland Railroad ( The Primeval Diorama is great!)
Peter Pan's Flight
Matterhorn Bobsleds (The bobsleds are uncomfortable, and the ride can ruin your back and neck, but it's still fun!)
Alice in Wonderland (In my opinion the best Fantasyland Dark Ride at Disneyland.)

Disney California Adventure:
Radiator Springs Racers (Quite frankly one of the best attractions I've ever ridden. Very well themed, and very thrilling.)
Toy Story Midway Mania
Soarin' Over California
It's Tough to be a Bug

There's just so much more!!! :D

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
At Disneyland my must do's are: Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Pirate's of the Caribbean, it's a small world, Toontown, Mr. Toad, Tea cups, carousel, main street vehicles, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Autopia, Pinocchio, Casey Jr, Mickey & the Magical map, Storybook boats, & Indiana Jones.

DCA: all of Carsland, Monsters, Soarin', Tower of Terror, WOC, Toy Story Mania, Aladdin, & Muppetts

IndianaJones

Original Poster
At Disneyland my must do's are: Matterhorn, Space Mountain, Pirate's of the Caribbean, it's a small world, Toontown, Mr. Toad, Tea cups, carousel, main street vehicles, Snow White, Alice in Wonderland, Autopia, Pinocchio, Casey Jr, Mickey & the Magical map, Storybook boats, & Indiana Jones.

DCA: all of Carsland, Monsters, Soarin', Tower of Terror, WOC, Toy Story Mania, Aladdin, & Muppetts

You're the first to say Aladdin. I agree. We don't miss that when we go out there.

IndianaJones

Original Poster
Indy, I know exactly how you feel... DCA has now become one of my favorite Disney Parks as well. It's phenomenally themed and richly detailed. Carsland was definitely a highlight for me. The Imagineers did an amazing creating this marvelously themed land. The rock work literally just took my breath away.

A huge must-do is definitely Radiator Springs Racers. It's honestly worth the 105 minute wait. It's a spectacular ride with so much to see!

Here is my list for must-do's at both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure:

Disneyland:
Pirates of the Caribbean (16 minutes of swashbuckling fun!)
Splash Mountain (Charming and cute, but wickedly thrilling!)
Space Mountain (A thrilling high speed race through the cosmos. I am in love with the soundtrack!)
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage (Wait times could skyrocket, so come early for this treat!)
The Disneyland Railroad ( The Primeval Diorama is great!)
Peter Pan's Flight
Matterhorn Bobsleds (The bobsleds are uncomfortable, and the ride can ruin your back and neck, but it's still fun!)
Alice in Wonderland (In my opinion the best Fantasyland Dark Ride at Disneyland.)

Disney California Adventure:
Radiator Springs Racers (Quite frankly one of the best attractions I've ever ridden. Very well themed, and very thrilling.)
Toy Story Midway Mania
Soarin' Over California
It's Tough to be a Bug

There's just so much more!!! :D

Yeah the Space Mountain Soundtrack is fantastic.

And I am in complete agreement with everyone who has brought up the Railroad. I absolutely love riding that. It's relaxing and the dioramas are great!

Figments Friend

Thanks for the welcome! Excited to not be lurking and actually talking.

I have done everything you mentioned outside of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, the current parade(I've only been there during Christmas time all 3 times), and the Castle walk through.

Happy to have you out and about and not lurking, Dr. Jones!

Definately make time for Mr. Lincoln, the parade, and the Castle walk through.
All three are gems that will enhance any visit.

NiarrNDisney

I have not been to DCA but I can give a couple things I enjoy from the Original park:
(In alphabetical order)

Bengal Barbecue
Fantasyland
Great Moments w/Mr. Lincoln
Mainstreet USA
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Pirates of the Caribean
Roger Rabbits Car Toon Spin
Space Mountain

Outside the Parks:

Downtown Disney

IndianaJones

Original Poster
Fun thread! BTW, there aren't many WDW vets who prefer Haunted Mansion Holiday over Haunted Mansion. That is quite rare. I must say that I prefer "it's a small world" Holiday over the regular version. I think everyone does haha.

There are too many things I love to do at the DLR. One of them must include Indy, though. One of my favorite rides anywhere. I don't think I need to explain why it is. You've already done that for me.:D

Matterhorn, especially at night. Matterhorn is very nostalgic for me. Even though I hate the new bobsleds, I still love the ride.

There are way too many other things that I enjoy, so I'll just leave it at that.

That's so funny to me about Haunted Mansion Holiday? What's the reasoning behind the dislike?

I think it's a fun way to change things up during the holidays. Maybe it helps that I enjoy Nightmare Before Christmas.

IndianaJones

Original Poster
I have not been to DCA but I can give a couple things I enjoy from the Original park:
(In alphabetical order)

Bengal Barbecue
Fantasyland
Great Moments w/Mr. Lincoln
Mainstreet USA
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Pirates of the Caribean
Roger Rabbits Car Toon Spin
Space Mountain

Outside the Parks:

Downtown Disney

You should definitely check out DCA. With the TLC that they've put into it over the last few years, it is a top shelf park.

Roger Rabbit is another one that I really enjoy. Fun little dark ride from a fun little film.

NiarrNDisney

You should definitely check out DCA. With the TLC that they've put into it over the last few years, it is a top shelf park.

Roger Rabbit is another one that I really enjoy. Fun little dark ride from a fun little film.

Agreed! It is actually my plan in the next few years to take a trip out to Cali visit some friends and spend at least 3 to 4 days at DLR so I can attempt to do everything!

Californian Elitist

That's so funny to me about Haunted Mansion Holiday? What's the reasoning behind the dislike?

I think it's a fun way to change things up during the holidays. Maybe it helps that I enjoy Nightmare Before Christmas.

Some say they don't like it because it's "cheap" and "tacky", some don't like it because they don't like The Nightmare Before Christmas, some think it's wrong to turn Mansion into a ride themed to Nightmare and some hate it just because. There are people who will shoot it down and have never even experienced it, but that happens all the time. I grew up with Haunted Mansion Holiday, so I love it and have gotten used to it. I was eight when it debuted and I remember liking it a lot. I still really like it.

Californian Elitist

CornDogTruck.jpg

I don't need to say anything about this photo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom