Musicals (Broadway, Off-Broadway, and Others)

Disneylover152

I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory recently. It was an interesting show. I liked it, but at the same time, I didn't like it. I know that's confusing, but I have mixed feelings about it.

I want to know what you guys think, if you saw the show.

WHAT I LIKED
One of the things I liked about the show was the actors. The actors made the show so funny and the script was funny. Act II was the show. The story happened in Act II. In case you didn't know this, but leading up to the factory is Act I and then the factory is Act II. But anyway, most of the story was so interesting and funny. I was also skeptical about having adults, but I actually liked it. They felt like teenagers rather then adults or kids. I still like having kids play them better, but I didn't hate adults playing them. I also loved Christian Borle as Wonka, better than the person in the London cast. I thought the casting was great!

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
One of the things I didn't like about the show was what happened to the kids. In the 1971 movie, they never continued the story of what happened to the kids. It leaves you wondering if they survived, or if they died. In the 2005 movie, they showed the kids surviving, but having defects (ex. Violet is always blue now). In this production, they clearly died. Verruca got ripped apart by the squirrels. Violet exploded. They died. That made me leave the theatre, like... what the heck did I just watch. And it kind of ruined the story for me. Like, I might not be able to watch the movie again without thinking of that.

The thing that I hated the most was the sets. I was warned that they weren't spectacular, but it looked like a high school made these sets. They were simple and boring. I get it that they want you to enforce the imagination or "make something out of nothing", but it didn't really work. It just looked cheap.

Here are some videos of their deaths:

It was disturbing, especially Veruca's death.

I would have liked it better if they brought the London version to Broadway.

Again, I didn't hate it, but I didn't like it.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Did anyone else see a the Greatest Showman? I just saw it tonight, and I thought it was okay. Not the greatest musical I’ve watched (pun intended).

I thought there were a couple of memorable songs, but spent a lot of time thinking “This didn’t happen, that didn’t happen, c’mon where’s the ‘mermaid’ Barnum created?” and “Wow this is dragging, how much movie is left?”

I think Hugh Jackman did a great job, and I hope to see him in more movie musicals. Zendaya did the best she could with the half baked romance between her and Zac Efron, but unfortunately I can’t seem to say the same for Zefron. I just wish the movie made me care more about them, instead of turning Jenny Lind into a jealous wannabe lover.

Last edited:

El_Tomato

Did anyone else see a the Greatest Showman? I just saw it tonight, and I thought it was okay. Not the greatest musical I’ve watched (pun intended).

I thought there were a couple of memorable songs, but spent a lot of time thinking “This didn’t happen, that didn’t happen, c’mon where’s the ‘mermaid’ Barnum created?” and “Wow this is dragging, how much movie is left?”

I think Hugh Jackman did a great job, and I hope to see him in more movie musicals. Zendaya did the best she could with the half baked romance between her and Zac Efron, but unfortunately I can’t seem to say the same for Zefron. I just wish the movie made me care more about them, instead of turning Jenny Lind into a jealous wannabe lover.
Thought basically the same. To me, La La Land is still the best modern day musical ever made.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Thought basically the same. To me, La La Land is still the best modern day musical to be made.
What I don’t understand is that they both had the same songwriters. I think the only two songs I could hum after the movie were The Greatest Show, Never Enough, and Rewrite the Stars. I want nothing more than a musical film Renaissance, but the songs have to be good to do that.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

Original Poster
My old high school produced the first high school version of Newsies this past weekend, and I was so proud for them. The students put on a terrific show, and it felt great to be a part of that energy in the audience. It was almost pretty perfect (some minor mic issues, and the first trumpet definitely sounded like they were exhausted from constant rehearsals and performances). It was the first time I’d seen Newsies, and I really loved it.

Swoosh32

I’ve seen just a “few” shows

BROADWAY MUSICALS
  1. An American in Paris
  2. Annie
  3. The Book of Mormon
  4. Beauty and the Beast
  5. Bodyguard
  6. Cabaret
  7. Chicago
  8. Cinderella
  9. The Color Purple
  10. Dirty Dancing
  11. Elf: the Musical
  12. Finding Neverland
  13. Fun Home
  14. A Gentlemen’s Guide to Love & Murder
  15. Hamilton
  16. If/Then
  17. Into the Woods
  18. Jersey Boys
  19. The King & I
  20. Legally Blonde: the Musical
  21. Les Miserables
  22. The Lion King
  23. Mamma Mia!
  24. Motown: the Musical
  25. Newsies
  26. On Your Feet
  27. Once
  28. The Phantom of the Opera
  29. Ragtime: the Musical
  30. Rent
  31. School of Rock
  32. Showboat
  33. Something Rotten
  34. The Sound of Music
  35. The Wizard of Oz
CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
  1. Alegría
  2. Corteo
  3. Crystal
  4. Delirium
  5. Dralion
  6. Michael Jackson’s Immortal World Tour
  7. IRIS
  8. Koozå
  9. Kurios
  10. La Nouba
  11. Luzia
  12. oVo
  13. Quidam
  14. Saltimbanco
  15. Toruk: the First Flight
  16. Totem
  17. Varekai

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Who will get tony awards this year? @The Mom Have no idea if I should have this in another forum.
I can’t believe it’s Tony discussion time already. But this is the perfect discussion spot for that.

Mean Girls and Frozen will probably make the list. Possibly Spongebob. Outside of that, I’m really not positive (haven’t kept up with new musicals this year)

Disneylover152

These are the shows eligible for Tony Awards: https://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/broadway/spotlight/index.html

I've seen every musical on Broadway eligible for the Tony Awards 2018.

The Band's Visit was a good musical with fun songs and a great message.
Escape to Margaritaville was a really funny musical that I really enjoyed, but it probably won't get nominated for a lot.
Frozen was visually appealing, but not Disney's best musical. Aladdin and Lion King are better, the new songs aren't catchy and it follows the movie way to closely. But the actors, sets, and choreography are great!
Mean Girls was great and will defiantly get love at the Tony Awards. Really fun characters with creative, yet basic, sets.
Prince of Broadway was interesting, and not my favorite show on Broadway.
Rocktopia was a musical I did not enjoy, mostly because I don't like 20th-century rock.
Spongebob was really shocking! I loved it and think that it is so underrated. It has a really heartwarming story with amazing creative design and direction. I think this should win the Tony for best musical.
Summer was a great show, just not best musical worthy.

My predictions for best musical are...
The Band's Visit
Frozen
Mean Girls- I think this is going to win.
Spongebob- I think this should win, but I don't think its gonna win.

KBLovedDisney

I used to be big into musicals growing up. Cats were my ultimate favorite. Unfortunately, I never got to see them in person even when they came near my home. (Don't have a supportive family...but I digress).

I was in musicals from middle school, high school, and some college. Into the Woods was the first one; and someone decided to put our entire school production from way back when on YouTube....me seeing my middle-school self as Little Red Riding Hood is just creepy

artvandelay

These are the shows eligible for Tony Awards: https://www.tonyawards.com/en_US/broadway/spotlight/index.html

I've seen every musical on Broadway eligible for the Tony Awards 2018.

The Band's Visit was a good musical with fun songs and a great message.
Escape to Margaritaville was a really funny musical that I really enjoyed, but it probably won't get nominated for a lot.
Frozen was visually appealing, but not Disney's best musical. Aladdin and Lion King are better, the new songs aren't catchy and it follows the movie way to closely. But the actors, sets, and choreography are great!
Mean Girls was great and will defiantly get love at the Tony Awards. Really fun characters with creative, yet basic, sets.
Prince of Broadway was interesting, and not my favorite show on Broadway.
Rocktopia was a musical I did not enjoy, mostly because I don't like 20th-century rock.
Spongebob was really shocking! I loved it and think that it is so underrated. It has a really heartwarming story with amazing creative design and direction. I think this should win the Tony for best musical.
Summer was a great show, just not best musical worthy.

My predictions for best musical are...
The Band's Visit
Frozen
Mean Girls- I think this is going to win.
Spongebob- I think this should win, but I don't think its gonna win.
Sponge Bob is a good show. It doesn’t pretend to be high art. It’s very entertaining with some great musical numbers. It’s called Sponge Bob, but Squidward steals the show.

Quinnmac000

Can someone explain to me how Universal is now killing it this year on Broadway with the musicals/plays they are producing (The Iceman Cometh, Mean Girls the musical, Carousel, Hello Dolly, Three Tall Women) have Tony nominations in every single category yet can't produce a good show for their parks?

Frozen got some awards and nominations but it doesn't bode well for best musical as none of the cast was picked up for best acting.

But the front runners seem to be Mean Girls and Spongebob with 12 noms a piece.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can someone explain to me how Universal is now killing it this year on Broadway with the musicals/plays they are producing (The Iceman Cometh, Mean Girls the musical, Carousel, Hello Dolly, Three Tall Women) have Tony nominations in every single category yet can't produce a good show for their parks?

Frozen got some awards and nominations but it doesn't bode well for best musical as none of the cast was picked up for best acting.

But the front runners seem to be Mean Girls and Spongebob with 12 noms a piece.

Disney should buy up everything Hello Dolly. They have three of its song already playing on Main Street.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Sponge Bob and Mean Girls each got 12 Tony nominations, but Bands Visit is the front runner for best musical

The song they showcased from Band made me very sure I never want to see it. Fake thick accents, piercing vocal fry, song reminiscing of movies someone once saw... no thanks.

A lot of songs showcased from last year's Tony's also turned me off.

Seeing Hamilton this Wednesday. :D

Disneylover152

The song they showcased from Band made me very sure I never want to see it. Fake thick accents, piercing vocal fry, song reminiscing of movies someone once saw... no thanks.

A lot of songs showcased from last year's Tony's also turned me off.

Seeing Hamilton this Wednesday. :D

I was in the theatre at Radio City tonight and let me tell you, the room was silent during the Band's Visit's performance and people fell asleep. When it was done it was the only time they told us to clap. Every other time we did it because we were proud or excited. That time they forced us to do it...

Quinnmac000

I was in the theatre at Radio City tonight and let me tell you, the room was silent during the Band's Visit's performance and people fell asleep. When it was done it was the only time they told us to clap. Every other time we did it because we were proud or excited. That time they forced us to do it...

But aren't those some of same people who voted for it to win?

BuddyThomas

And yet it won almost every award it was nominated for, including best musical.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

Well, the Horace Vandergelt number added to the recent run of Hello Dolly is an awful number and even David Hyde Pierce couldn't save it (I have a thing against bad, fake accents, I guess). And yet, of course, I went to see HD for Bette and it was wonderful. So, maybe there is something more to Band than that number we witnessed which, in the end, saves it.

Oh and to all audiences everywhere: Stop losing your spit and erupting into applause every time you see something you recognize. Don't applaud in the middle of a diva's moment because you recognize the scene from Frozen the movie. Don't applaud during the memoriam because you recognize the actor but don't know the costume designer. It is so déclassé.

Princess Leia

Original Poster
Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the Tonys last night (had to take my sister to the airport at 4:00 in the gorram morning :facepalm:), but looking at the winners list now. And The Band's Visit is the one nominated musical that I knew absolutely nothing about. It seemed like all the momentum was with Mean Girls and Spongebob (at least from what I saw on Facebook), so I'm a little surprised that it cleaned up in almost every category.

Also, I can't tell you what the actual stage production looks like, but from the script alone, I'm just a little ticked that Cursed Child did as well as it did last night (and that's coming from a massive Harry Potter fan). I've heard that the actual production on stage is marvelous, but the plot of that thing is really bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom