Musical Theater Fans?

Songbird76

@Songbird76
We can all see from your post above why your forum name is "Songbird"
.....re "Pie Jesu", I remember singing that in church choir back in the early 90s.
The composer was John Rutter. I'll put it in the key of C to make the typing easier
Pie Jesu....Domine
C F G D C F G----

Do na e is re qui em
C.....F ..G..D....C...F.....G---

Re qu iem ae ter nam
E F G A B-C G----

Do na e is Dom in e
C B G E E F D----

Do na e is Dom in e
E F D D D E C---
I unfortunately have no way of showing eighth notes , or half notes....etc.
If you are curious, go to youtube and enter in: "John Rutter Pie Jesu"
Edit....when I composed the post the 1st try on my laptop screen I lined up the letters under the appropriate words in the lyrics/but once I posted it, they no longer lined up. I experimented with putting" .... " between the words, but again, it did not come out the same after I re-posted it.
Songbird is a nickname my college roommate gave me. It just stuck with me, so I still use it. John Rutter does a lot of beautiful music. One of my favorites is Oh How Amiable Are Thy Dwellings. It soothes me when I'm stressed. A Gaelic Blessing is beautiful too. Rutter is great for somewhat simple choral music. A lot of people chose Rutter arrangements for our conducting final in college because they are pretty easy to sightread and we didn't have much time to prepare.

Songbird76

Lol, I've come to terms with it, but I used to get angry when I was a kid. I'd love to be able to sing while playing the piano. I remember feeling like it was "unfair" that I couldn't do both. Luckily I've outgrown that. Ha ha.
Well, I'm quite jealous that you can play the piano. I can only play the very basics. I was unfortunate that where I grew up, our music teacher was not very good. We got no theory, so I went into college not understanding time signatures, not knowing my key signatures...I was a mess. I was in band in 5th and 6th grade, but my 6th grade year we went through 3 different teachers and had long periods without teachers. We just didn't get the instruction. So I was a music major with nothing but a voice. I really had to work hard to catch up and I'm still not great with key signatures to this day. Which makes playing the piano very difficult. I'm envious of that particular talent.

21stamps

@Songbird76
We can all see from your post above why your forum name is "Songbird"
.....re "Pie Jesu", I remember singing that in church choir back in the early 90s.
The composer was John Rutter. I'll put it in the key of C to make the typing easier
Pie Jesu....Domine
C F G D C F G----

Do na e is re qui em
C.....F ..G..D....C...F.....G---

Re qu iem ae ter nam
E F G A B-C G----

Do na e is Dom in e
C B G E E F D----

Do na e is Dom in e
E F D D D E C---
I unfortunately have no way of showing eighth notes , or half notes....etc.
If you are curious, go to youtube and enter in: "John Rutter Pie Jesu"
Edit....when I composed the post the 1st try on my laptop screen I lined up the letters under the appropriate words in the lyrics/but once I posted it, they no longer lined up. I experimented with putting" .... " between the words, but again, it did not come out the same after I re-posted it.

I like that one, but it doesn't move me the way Andrew Lloyd Webber's does. His is almost..haunting?.. I don't know how to accurately describe how I feel when I hear it. I have such great love for music that can spark an instant emotional reaction in me.

Well, I'm quite jealous that you can play the piano. I can only play the very basics. I was unfortunate that where I grew up, our music teacher was not very good. We got no theory, so I went into college not understanding time signatures, not knowing my key signatures...I was a mess. I was in band in 5th and 6th grade, but my 6th grade year we went through 3 different teachers and had long periods without teachers. We just didn't get the instruction. So I was a music major with nothing but a voice. I really had to work hard to catch up and I'm still not great with key signatures to this day. Which makes playing the piano very difficult. I'm envious of that particular talent.

Wow that stinks about your 6th grade year..glad you were able to catch up!

I can play other people's music, decently, but not full justice. I'm not concert material..just living room ;) Sometimes I play and just sit afterwards and think of the brilliance of the mind who created the piece.

I have so much respect for artists, composers, performers.. I enjoy watching/listening to other people's talents.

SteveBrickNJ

I liked John Rutter's Pie Jesu so much that I arranged it as a flute duet with piano and had my 2 best 5th grade flute students perform it at the band's Spring Concert. One audience member said they had been to a band concert in a different town (seeing a relative) and it was just London's Bridge and Old MacDonald. They were amazed that I had 5th graders playing John Rutter!
;):cool:

Last edited:

21stamps

I liked John Rutter's Pie Jesu so much that I arranged it as a flute duet with piano and had my 2 best 5th grade flute students perform it at the band's Spring Concert. One audience member said they had been to a band concert in a different town (seeing a relative) and it was just London' Bridge and old MacDonald. They were amazed that I had 5th graders playing John Rutter!
;):cool:

Nice!!!!

Songbird76

I like that one, but it doesn't move me the way Andrew Lloyd Webber's does. His is almost..haunting?.. I don't know how to accurately describe how I feel when I hear it. I have such great love for music that can spark an instant emotional reaction in me.

Wow that stinks about your 6th grade year..glad you were able to catch up!

I can play other people's music, decently, but not full justice. I'm not concert material..just living room ;) Sometimes I play and just sit afterwards and think of the brilliance of the mind who created the piece.

I have so much respect for artists, composers, performers.. I enjoy watching/listening to other people's talents.
Yes, I like the Andrew Lloyd Webber version of Pie Jesu better too.

I'm not even Living Room material when it comes to piano. I'm soundproof room so no one can hear me material.

SteveBrickNJ

Yes, I like the Andrew Lloyd Webber version of Pie Jesu better too.

I'm not even Living Room material when it comes to piano. I'm soundproof room so no one can hear me material.
OK....you girls inspired me to watch it.
I went to Youtube and put in the appropriate search engine.
I ended up watching Andrew Lloyd Weber's Pie Jesu as performed by Sarah Brightman and a boy with an angelic voice.
It was very good.

21stamps

OK....you girls inspired me to watch it.
I went to Youtube and put in the appropriate search engine.
I ended up watching Andrew Lloyd Weber's Pie Jesu as performed by Sarah Brightman and a boy with an angelic voice.
It was very good.

Yes! With Paul Miles Kingston...still my favorite recording out of any artist since.

SteveBrickNJ

What about the 70s Broadway musical "Shenandoah"? Did anyone see that one on Broadway or years later off Broadway? It had a good Civil War storyline.....a couple of great songs. Not all of them. I liked it though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom