Muppets' New Show is a "documentary" exploring their adult lives

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
If people arent going to watch the show anymore based off one episode, you clearly had no idea what the show was going to be like even though it was put out there in promos and news articles. It's a show on an adult network.

copcarguyp71

What a dud!!! Maybe I am tainted by being of the generation that laid on our stomachs in the living room watching the Muppet Show on a console TV but....wow, it honestly was awful. I will not be watching again, "The Office" format was off putting for me but the lack of funny and presence of darkness with Piggy being so dark and angry...not like the old days where she would haul off with a karate chop. Two rats trying to get it on under a podium. Bear jokes alluding to much more adult humor (among other things)....sorry they just lost me all around on this one for way too many reasons. Just one man's opinion though...

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
We didn't delete the show from the DVR after we watched it last night. We will probably watch it again tonight. I had no problem with the adult humor and thought it was funny. I do hope that they make Kermit and Piggy more upbeat again. I understand they are going through a breakup but the Muppets shouldn't be so down and stressed out.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
As I mentioned in another thread... This was not good.

It is not a format that we are familiar with from the previous TV show. It tries to be too many things at once. It wasn't truly funny. The bits were all low hanging fruit and it was all rotten fruit to begin with.

Muppets aren't supposed to be bummers. The only sad sack bit that ever worked was Fozzie. Having Scooter attack Elizabeth Banks was not funny. The new "pig" has to go!

I am giving this 2 more episodes to improve and then I am done. I imagine with a first time audience that will not watch a second episode, this won't make it. That is not good for The Muppet Courtyard....

*1023*

sedati

Love the Muppets- liked the episode. I'm glad they're trying something different and hope it will find it's own groove. This felt more in line as a continuation of the original Muppet Movie, than the Muppet Show in that we're seeing the Muppets out in our world. Give it a shot and give it some time- any Muppets is a bit of a gift.

Matt_Black

I really liked it. As someone on another board said, it felt like how a Muppets show is supposed to feel. Dancing with the Czars, Scooter versus Elizabeth Banks, Tom Bergeron, Sam's "bad words"... I thought it all just hung together nicely.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Dancing with the Tsars was one of the only jokes that landed home, to me.

I wish they had actually turned that into a skit instead of a throwaway scene...

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
As I mentioned in another thread... This was not good.

It is not a format that we are familiar with from the previous TV show. It tries to be too many things at once. It wasn't truly funny. The bits were all low hanging fruit and it was all rotten fruit to begin with..

*1023*

cause its different from older shows.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
cause its different from older shows.
We will see how long it lasts. I would say if it makes it a full season that would be because there wasn't anything else in development or pilot season that was the least bit appealing. I think if you have a 22 minute derivative comedy script sitting around that you were iffy about, send it of to a showrunner there like Davis. It might be your big break.

*1023*

FoozieBear

It was a great premiere episode. A lot of people feel weird seeing the Muppets in this format but being honest here, there's no way the variety show format would work in 2015. I think folks will just get used to it after two or three episodes.

That being said, it's an incredibly strong pilot episode that will become great with time. If you loved it (like me) or feel unsure about it, at least give it a few episodes. I try not to judge shows by their first episode anymore, because they always grow to something so much stronger as time goes on. Keep sticking around, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Matt_Black

It was a great premiere episode. A lot of people feel weird seeing the Muppets in this format but being honest here, there's no way the variety show format would work in 2015. I think folks will just get used to it after two or three episodes.

That being said, it's an incredibly strong pilot episode that will become great with time. If you loved it (like me) or feel unsure about it, at least give it a few episodes. I try not to judge shows by their first episode anymore, because they always grow to something so much stronger as time goes on. Keep sticking around, I'm sure it'll be fantastic.

Indeed. The Muppets have always been satirical. The reason the original show was a variety format is because at the time variety shows were EVERYWHERE. Right now, the "mockumentary" style is popular, so that's the tact this show has taken. Why do they work on a late night show? Because there's been a good deal of focus in recent years on late night television thanks to all the shake ups, retirements, and replacements.

GrumpyFan

I give it a solid "meh". It had a few moments... of awkwardness, and even a couple of almost funny ones too.
I'll watch it for a few more episodes to see if it improves, which there is definite room for.

Is Rowlf not part of the troupe anymore?

Last edited:

FoozieBear

I give it a solid "meh". It had a few moments... of awkwardness, and even a couple of almost funny ones too.
I'll watch it for a few more episodes to see if it improves, which there is definite room for.

Is Rowlf not part of the troupe anymore?

Actually Rowlf will have a big part, but they haven't introduced him in the series yet. He owns Rowlf's Tavern, which is a bar across from the studio where the Muppets hang out after the show, but he's not in the second episode, so I don't know when they're going to bring that in.

The thing I'm wondering is where Walter is. He's nowhere to be seen and isn't anywhere in the scripts. I hope they haven't forgotten about that little guy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom