Muppets' New Show is a "documentary" exploring their adult lives

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/04/22/muppets-abc-more-adult?asdf

ABC’s pilot presentation from Big Bang Theory co-creator Bill Prady and Anger Management writer-producer Bob Kushell is described as having a 30 Rock feel. The series will be shot mock-documentary style, like Arrested Development and The Office.

Even more interesting: In what’s being billed as a first for The Muppets, the personal lives of the characters will be explored. ABC’s official new logline reads: “The Muppets return to prime time with a contemporary, documentary-style show that—for the first time ever—will explore the Muppets’ personal lives and relationships, both at home and at work, as well as romances, break-ups, achievements, disappointments, wants and desires; a more adult Muppet show, for kids of all ages.”

Muppet fans will quickly point out that Kermit and Miss Piggy’s eternal on-again, off-again romance could be considered a prior example of exploring The Muppets’ personal lives. But apparently producers are planning a series that will go deeper into the soap-territory that is the trademark of ABC’s biggest hits like Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal. (Fun fact: One of the two original 1975 The Muppets pilots made for ABC was titled “Sex and Violence.”)

Mawg

Oh wow, you mean I can watch a Prime Time show with my kids again that's not some reality competition. Or will we see the Muppets going to bed together and investigating gruesome and graphic murders?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
https://instagram.com/tvbobby/ - The executive producer of the pilot is sharing some pictures.

muppets-title-card-04272015-500x500.jpg

muppets-show-image-1-04272015-500x500.jpg

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/07/muppets-abc-greenlit

"the muppets." has been officially picked up for next Fall.

The Muppets will officially return to prime time with a contemporary, documentary-style show that, for the first time ever, will explore the Muppets’ personal lives and relationships, both at home and at work, as well as romances, break-ups, achievements, disappointments, wants and desires—a more adult Muppet show, for kids of all ages. The recent pilot presentation, we’re told, received a standing ovation when it screened for ABC executives a couple weeks ago. Bill Prady and Bob Kushell are co-writers and executive producers alongside Randall Einhorn and Bill Barretta.

prberk

You know, I understand the mocumentary format is popular now, and may even work; but I actually would like to see the Muppets do a return to the variety show. I believe that they could pull it off, and with camp and style that would make it easy to get guests. I think, with the right fun and style, it would go. Just doing what they do best. And not trying to make it "The Muppets does 'The Office.'"

Matt_Black

You know, I understand the mocumentary format is popular now, and may even work; but I actually would like to see the Muppets do a return to the variety show. I believe that they could pull it off, and with camp and style that would make it easy to get guests. I think, with the right fun and style, it would go. Just doing what they do best. And not trying to make it "The Muppets does 'The Office.'"

Someone pointed out elsewhere that part of why the original Muppets Show was a variety program is that variety programs were very popular in the 70s and the Muppets are all about skewering pop culture. It makes sense that the new show would try to satirize what's popular now.

Also- "The band's happy. Legally, now." :eek: I'm surprised Disney let that joke through.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
Someone pointed out elsewhere that part of why the original Muppets Show was a variety program is that variety programs were very popular in the 70s and the Muppets are all about skewering pop culture. It makes sense that the new show would try to satirize what's popular now.

Also- "The band's happy. Legally, now." :eek: I'm surprised Disney let that joke through.

That's the kind of joke that will fly over children's heads, some adults too.

prberk

Actually, the muppets came out of "Sesame Street." "The Muppet Show" was just a little more adult (or whole-family-friendly), aimed at a broader audience than its "Sesame Street" audience. So, I think the variety show was more of the idea that "the muppets got a show," which would obviously have been a variety show (which was a concept well earlier than the '70s -- think, Vaudeville, The Little Rascals, etc., all of which had the idea of "let's put on a show"). I don't think that they were skewering the idea of a variety show as much as they were followiing the idea of the muppets put on a show.

Now, since sensibilities have changed, some people today might not actually think of "putting on a show" in a stage format. They might more likely think of a reality show, as in, "The Muppets get their own reality show."

But I still think the simple idea of a talent show (which is all a TV variety show was, on a grander scale) is still a good one, and works for who they are. I know that I would more likely watch "The Muppets put on a show" than "The Muppets get their own reality show." But that really depends on what they end up making and whether it could last more than a few weeks before the conceit wears thin. At least with a variety show, only the shell stays the same. The content changes from week to week, and may be more apt to stay fresh. We will see. I will give it a chance.

Matt_Black

To be fair, the mockumentary concept isn't new either, going back at least 30 years approximately to "This Is Spinal Tap." And Sesame Street, while also taking nods from pop culture, was aimed at TV in general, what with Kermit the Reporter, "Today's program has been brought to you by the letter B", Monsterpiece Theater, and more.

I love the Muppets, but it IS time for a genre change. I don't want the same old tired material. I want brand new tired material!

Waldorf-and-Statler-heroe-007.jpg

StageFrenzy

If that's the case they should have gone with the late night talk show.

Sped2424

It looks phenomenal I wonder what fuschialion has to say about this ;) jk he's here lol. But anyways the humor here isn't being aimed at the kiddies that much is clear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom