Muppets Mini-Land / Muppets Courtyard Additions & Refurbishments

FoozieBear

The new marquee along with the past removal of the giant ballon and the adjacent repainting of the SOA facades, it gives this area a much more realistic vibe which I imagine would help with a smother transition into SWL

Something nobody mentioned yet: I'm incredibly frustrated by the new name change because it makes absolutely no sense with the attraction itself. The whole point of the theater was that you felt that you were walking into The Muppet Theater (or at least if the Muppet theater transitioned itself into a movie theater). Now, its just a generic theater which happens to be playing Muppet-Vision 3D, which makes no sense thematically, because why would things like The Muppet Labs be situated within the Grand Arts Theater? Not to mention the Muppety architecture and design on the inside, which truly makes no sense in relation as to the point of the experience.

Cmdr_Crimson

Let's not forget that the Muppet Babies reboot is coming to Disney Jr. next year.

It will be interesting how they will go with this...Either take it the way the show was done with the same humor...Or they may take it the Sid The Science Kid Route...Since they are using their Digital Puppetry...
MUPPET-BABIES-cgi.jpg

I do find it interesting that there was at one point a set of shorts called Muppettoons and they tested out with Kermit...Could've have made you wonder if they did do a new Muppet*Vision they could gone that route..

Plus they have been using this technology for another attraction out in Hershey's Chocolate world for their 3D show utilizing Film & Interactivity where the characters interact during the film ala Turtle talk & Monsters Laugh Floor...

HECK! They could do a new Muppet Show similar to Laugh Floor utilizing that technology and have Fozzie read your jokes on the stage....

FoozieBear

It will be interesting how they will go with this...Either take it the way the show was done with the same humor...Or they may take it the Sid The Science Kid Route...Since they are using their Digital Puppetry...
MUPPET-BABIES-cgi.jpg

I do find it interesting that there was at one point a set of shorts called Muppettoons and they tested out with Kermit...Could've have made you wonder if they did do a new Muppet*Vision they could gone that route..

Plus they have been using this technology for another attraction out in Hershey's Chocolate world for their 3D show utilizing Film & Interactivity where the characters interact during the film ala Turtle talk & Monsters Laugh Floor...

HECK! They could do a new Muppet Show similar to Laugh Floor utilizing that technology and have Fozzie read your jokes on the stage....

I never want them doing CGI Muppets, and I think Disney knows better not to go that route (Muppet Babies makes sense, because even the original was animated. It would be the same as when Lucasfilm turned Yoda into a CGI version of the puppet from the original trilogy. I think they know better not to take away from what makes the Muppet characters unique.

FoozieBear

Actually They were introduced in Muppets Take Manhattan in Puppet form and due to the popularity of how people liked them the animated series was made...

They made their second appearance in The Muppet Family Christmas special...
muppetfamilychristmas-muppetbabies.jpg

This much I know. ;) I was referring to the series which was animated. I prefered the puppet-versions though, and I think the series would have been better off with those, but it went animated I think so that it could fit well as a Saturday Morning cartoon.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
If they put this under The Touchstone pictures side I'm sure they could get away with more since it was the Adult side to the Walt Disney Company..
Is there any future for Touchstone Pictures?
Are we seeing some foreshadowing of the future park name ... "Disney's Grand Arts Park"? Idk just a thought
Disney's GAP

Cmdr_Crimson

Is there any future for Touchstone Pictures?
Well, they are still making films here and there...And when they went the Dark route with Who Framed Roger Rabbit since it featured Disney Characters in a Darker film it went the Touchstone Route..Which is why I think it would be better for them to release it under them instead where they can get away with more humor..

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
Well, they are still making films here and there...And when they went the Dark route with Who Framed Roger Rabbit since it featured Disney Characters in a Darker film it went the Touchstone Route..Which is why I think it would be better for them to release it under them instead where they can get away with more humor..
Right, (and not to detour this thread; just finishing this thought) but what I meant was Touchstone in general. The last non-DreamWorks and non-Miramax Touchstone film was You Again in 2010. Roger Rabbit was 1988. I don't see any major Touchstone releases in the pipeline, let alone Muppet related productions.

Unless anyone here knows something about this that they may feel like sharing.

Princess Leia

Steve Whitmire (Kermit since Jim died, Beaker, Bean Bunny, Rizzo the Rat) apparently just quit the Muppets
http://www.toughpigs.com/steve-whitmire-news/
Had no idea that he originated Rizzo. He was also the creator and sole performer of Lips, and the most recent performer of The Newsman and Statler.

That's quite a loss. Best of luck to Matt Vogel. It's never easy to fill those shoes, and sometimes, the voice just sounds off (I still haven't gotten used to the new Fozzie, no offense to Eric Jacobsen).

FigmentJedi

That's quite a loss. Best of luck to Matt Vogel. It's never easy to fill those shoes, and sometimes, the voice just sounds off (I still haven't gotten used to the new Fozzie, no offense to Eric Jacobsen).
Jacobsen's Fozzie is much better then some of Vogel's Jerry Nelson characters. LIke his Robin is the most glaring case of "Wrong sounding Muppets" of any of the recasts over the years. I think they need some new talent search to find more performers to distribute characters to because Vogel's busy doing Jerry and Caroll's characters already and I think piling Whitmire roles on top of that would be a bit much.

Princess Leia

Jacobsen's Fozzie is much better then some of Vogel's Jerry Nelson characters. LIke his Robin is the most glaring case of "Wrong sounding Muppets" of any of the recasts over the years. I think they need some new talent search to find more performers to distribute characters to because Vogel's busy doing Jerry and Caroll's characters already and I think piling Whitmire roles on top of that would be a bit much.
I don't think I've heard listened to Vogel's Robin, but I think I remember liking his Floyd Pepper and Sweetums. Kermit and Rizzo are such major roles, they should be given to a performer (or separate performers) who can do a perfect impression (or at least one that's 98% there, I'll be somewhat flexible ;)) Really though, I'm worried about those two. Fozzie's voice was one of the turn offs for me concerning the show (among other things).

FoozieBear

Most of the time it comes down to more than just 'a voice'. These performers need to understand the characters instead of just doing an impression of the voice of the character. These performers understand those characters because they've worked with them. I'm sure you can find someone who does a better Fozzie impression, but the essence of the character would probably be lost if Disney held open auditions.

FigmentJedi

Whitmire has issued a statement. Sounds like less that he quit and more like Disney fired him.
https://stevewhitmire-muppetpundit.com/2017/07/11/its-time-to-get-things-started/
Dear Friends,

In 1978 when I was asked to join The Muppet Show, the Muppets were the hottest thing on the planet. I was invited to sit at the feet of the true masters, Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Richard Hunt, and Dave Goelz; working alongside them, absorbing different skills from each, as we, along with many talented others, contributed towards the same shared vision, the vision of one man. The result became a skill-set for myself that was sort of a compilation of the best of them all.

For me the Muppets are not just a job, or a career, or even a passion. They are a calling, an urgent, undeniable, impossible to resist way of life. This is my life’s work since I was 19 years old. I feel that I am at the top of my game, and I want all of you who love the Muppets to know that I would never consider abandoning Kermit or any of the others because to do so would be to forsake the assignment entrusted to me by Jim Henson, my friend and mentor, but even more, my hero.

As I am sure you can imagine, I have experienced every possible emotion since October 2016, when I received a phone call from The Muppets Studio’s executives to say they were recasting. Through a new business representative, I have offered multiple remedies to their two stated issues which had never been mentioned to me prior to that phone call. I wish that we could have sat down, looked each other in the eye, and discussed what was on their minds before they took such a drastic action.

I have remained silent the last nine months in hopes that the Disney company might reverse their course. Doing what is best for the Muppets is the lens through which all my interactions have been filtered. Given the opportunity I remain willing to do whatever is required to remedy their concerns because I feel my continued involvement with the characters is in the best interest of the Muppets.

For decades, you have been an invaluable partner in co-creating the existence of the Muppets, and I am humbled by your devotion to them. There is so much more for us to talk about so I have created this site as a place to connect and share on all things Muppet, past, present and future.

Please forgive any faux pas as I have not been active in social media previously and have a serious learning curve. I just want you all to know that I am sorry if I have disappointed any of you at any point throughout our journey, and to let everyone know that I am devastated to have failed in my duty to my hero.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom