Muppet-Vision 3D Closing???

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Like I said, the attraction is old. Plus, the majority of visitors to Disneyland are locals as opposed to WDW which are tourists (that's why seasonal activities such as the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion and Jingle Cruise happen in LA and not FL) so how often are locals going to see the same 3D film?

The line is short in Hollywood Studios as well, but so is Star Tours. I've never been on either one without waiting less than ten minutes.

Californian Elitist

Like I said, the attraction is old. Plus, the majority of visitors to Disneyland are locals as opposed to WDW which are tourists (that's why seasonal activities such as the Nightmare Before Christmas Haunted Mansion and Jingle Cruise happen in LA and not FL) so how often are locals going to see the same 3D film?

The line is short in Hollywood Studios as well, but so is Star Tours. I've never been on either one without waiting less than ten minutes.

What does the age of the attraction have to do with anything? Updating the film would most likely not draw big crowds. Muppets just wasn't popular here.

Disneyland is in Anaheim, not Los Angeles. Magic Kingdom most definitely got the Jingle Cruise.

GiveMeTheMusic

MiceChat isn't the most reliable source. Not saying they are wrong this time, but they generally report things and speculate things that are usually wrong.

MiceAge has tremendous sources within the company. The info they report is almost always completely accurate - at the time they report it. Disney has been in a state of flux over the past few years, and plans change constantly. That's the nature of rumor reporting - things can change.

TP2000

MiceChat isn't the most reliable source. Not saying they are wrong this time, but they generally report things and speculate things that are usually wrong.

I'm afraid you don't understand how reliable Miceage Updates actually are. Historically, going back to the late 1990's when they were the D-I-G and I read the rumors via a 56K dial-up modem, Al Lutz and his team have always had the biggest scoops and the most shocking rumors that become true. And critics, particularly those who own websites that don't get the juicy rumors first, always say Miceage isn't reliable. It is. Very reliable.

This Frozen rumor that Miceage broke back in August, when absolutely no one else was talking about it or knew about it, is only the latest in a long string of major scoops and rumors that Al Lutz/Miceage have gotten right in the last 15 years.

That's also a gross overstatement and fundamentally flawed argument. There are millions and millions of overseas and domestic tourists at Disneyland every year. It's kind of a famous place. They don't do seasonal overlays in WDW because TDO is notoriously cheap. Jingle Cruise is also cheap, so WDW got it.

People still watch MuppetVision at DHS because it's in a theme park that has a embarrassingly low amount of attractions; only five (5) rides and a half dozen theater shows mostly dating from the 1990's. DHS crowds are desperate for entertainment, so they shuffle in to MuppetVision after they've already been on their five rides. At DCA, MuppetVision is in a park with more rides/attractions than DHS and DAK combined. DCA has 25 rides, plus a half dozen theater shows that are actually good and from this century. There's so much to do at DCA that it's easy to skip MuppetVision. Very easy.

And finally, Disneyland is in Anaheim, not Los Angeles. :)

Little Green Men

^But was Muppet Vision even popular in DCA prior to it's upgrades? Yes DHS has five rides, but it had six until a few months ago and Muppet Vision was still popular. I guess if it gets the rumored expansion we'll see how Muppet Vision does. DHS getting some flat rides would give them a boost since DCA has 12 carnival style attractions.

TP2000

^But was Muppet Vision even popular in DCA prior to it's upgrades? Yes DHS has five rides, but it had six until a few months ago and Muppet Vision was still popular. I guess if it gets the rumored expansion we'll see how Muppet Vision does. DHS getting some flat rides would give them a boost since DCA has 12 carnival style attractions.

MuppetVision has never been as popular at DCA as DHS. But then, on opening day in '01 DCA had twelve rides, three of them big E Tickets. Plus a handful of theater shows and exhibits, of which MuppetVision was one of them. A decade later DCA had grown to 25 rides, five of them big E Tickets, plus a half dozen newer theater shows. Compared to DHS and its first 25 years, DCA in its first decade from '01 to '12 has been a powerhouse of new rides and attractions and refreshed theater shows.

Meanwhile, DHS after a quarter century still had just five rides and a gaggle of dusty theater shows that date to the Clinton Administration.

Even It's Tough To Be A Bug at DCA got a digital HD upgrade this year, while the older version at DAK is still film and still in need of a lot of help. MuppetVision at DCA never got the digital upgrade, which was probably the writing on the wall that the least attended and cared about 3D show in Anaheim wasn't long for this world.

George Lucas on a Bench

To be fair, Muppet Vision was already an old attraction when they shoehorned it into DCA. I maintain that they should have built a Muppet ride in there. It's easy to just pass by the entire area and forget it's there, even the Monsters Inc. ride. That whole area needs a complete redo. The Hollywood backlot theme doesn't cut it, in my opinion.

TP2000

To be fair, Muppet Vision was already an old attraction when they shoehorned it into DCA.

Very good point.

The fashions and hairdo's on the "theme park visitors" at the end of the show when the fire truck crashes through the wall are painful evidence that this was filmed in 1990. It could only be more obviously dated if these people were used as extras instead.

video_control1.jpg

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
When I went to Disneyland for the first time a couple of years ago, I saw a preview for Frankenweenie in that theatre. It was very odd having all of the muppet characters centered around something totally un-related to the actual building's purpose.

ght

I can believe those numbers, and information like that isn't hard to come by. And MiceChat has been on their game.

I've never in my life seen people in the Muppet queue or seen people walking out of the attraction. No lie.
Yep, the last two times we have watched it I could count the number of people in the theater with us on one hand.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Bad news for Muppets fans, Disneyland fans and fans of great attractions.

I've gotten word that Muppet-Vision will not be returning anytime soon. Frozen Sing-A-Long will play through 2015 and beyond is uncertain. It's unknown as of now, but one thing for sure is that Muppets won't be returning anytime soon if ever.

Brer Panther

Saw that coming.

Here's hoping they keep it in Florida. I may not be a huge fan of the ride (Waldo is OBNOXIOUS), but it was Jim Henson's last project, so getting rid of it everywhere seems like a jerk move.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Saw that coming.

Here's hoping they keep it in Florida. I may not be a huge fan of the ride (Waldo is OBNOXIOUS), but it was Jim Henson's last project, so getting rid of it everywhere seems like a jerk move.

From what I heard, Florida version isn't in danger, but I really hope they update the film. I personally love it, but it's much better for the franchise and the attraction that they finally change it.

Brer Panther

Here's a fun game we could play: if they decided to add a Frozen dark ride to Fantasyland, which dark ride would it replace?

I'd say the Matterhorn, but considering they're refurbishing it for the 60th it's probably safe for now. Considering Mr. Toad is the least well-known of the characters who have dark rides at Disneyland...

Californian Elitist

Here's a fun game we could play: if they decided to add a Frozen dark ride to Fantasyland, which dark ride would it replace?

I'd say the Matterhorn, but considering they're refurbishing it for the 60th it's probably safe for now. Considering Mr. Toad is the least well-known of the characters who have dark rides at Disneyland...

Disney would never replace all of Matterhorn with a Frozen dark ride. And removing Toad would cause an uproar amongst Disneyland fans. Disney can be stupid, but not that stupid.

In regards to Muppets, its been said it's coming back. Even if it doesn't, most fans won't be crying over it.

Brer Panther

Yeah, I figured Disney wouldn't get rid of Disneyland's Toad. Snow White, MAYBE... I highly doubt it would be Peter Pan or Alice... Pinocchio, perhaps?

Of course, knowing Disney they'd probably just shove it somewhere where it doesn't belong. Probably somewhere in DCA... Maybe they'd use it to replace Monsters Inc.

They'd probably do it really cheaply, too... "Come on, Olaf! We have to find Elsa's door before Hans, who's now a purple chameleon for some reason, does!"

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Are you kidding? When it comes to Frozen, I don't think Disney would be worried about Toad at all. They did the same thing over at Magic Kingdom when Pooh was popular.

Of course Muppet fans will be crying over it's departure. It's a wonderful beloved attraction. Honestly one of the best 3D films that I know.

Californian Elitist

Are you kidding? When it comes to Frozen, I don't think Disney would be worried about Toad at all. They did the same thing over at Magic Kingdom when Pooh was popular.

Of course Muppet fans will be crying over it's departure. It's a wonderful beloved attraction. Honestly one of the best 3D films that I know.

Based on your comments about Toad and Muppets (specifically at DCA), I can tell you don't know the Disneyland fanbase very well.

Brer Panther

Toad was closed for two reasons according to a trivia book I have: one was that they knew people were more familiar with Pooh than with Toad. The other was that they didn't think the finale was appropriate for a Disney park.

I think they actually considered ditching Disneyland's Toad for Pooh before deciding to kick out the Country Bears. Chances are even if they had put it in Fantasyland, Disneyland's Pooh would still be essentially the Magic Kingdom Pooh minus the charm. Seriously, what's up with all of the weird neon lighting in the Heffalumps and Woozles scene?

I'm still betting on Pinocchio.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom