Muppet-Vision 3D Closing???

FoozieBear

Original Poster
According to the Disneyland Gazette on Twitter, tomorrow is the final day to see Muppet-Vision 3D at Disneyland. Has anyone heard anything about this?
https://twitter.com/TheDLGazette/status/528682428534386688

Sadly, the attraction schedule has been removed from the Disneyland.com website as well. I'm hoping that it will only be closing for a refurb/update, and this is not permanent.

Has anyone heard anything about this and can confirm/deny if it is true?

westie

Hmm I thought it was just a refurb? Love that show! This is what I found-

Micechat has an editor note up on the front page today that had some of us CM's confused at lunch today. Here's the note:

Editor’s Note: October 30, 2014: Let the freezing begin - MuppetVision at DCA will be closing this Sunday. The attraction will then begin a seven week transformation into the Frozen stage show opening with the rest of the Frozen offerings that should debut on Saturday, December 20th. TDA is in no rush to announce their Frozen plans, and they're now planning to wait until after Thanksgiving before they say anything. But the Frozen related closures around Hollywood Land will soon be very noticeable.But this closure isn't listed on Disneyland.com, the GR phone room hotline, or next week's official CM Reference Guide as happening. If they are closing MuppetVision this weekend to turn it into a Frozen show for Christmas, TDA is in super-stealth mode on this one and isn't letting anyone know about it. The plot thickens!

The Muppets closure would last six months because Miceage reports the new Frozen show would run until early May, 2015.

Last edited:

FoozieBear

Original Poster
Hmm I thought it was just a refurb? Love that show! This is what I found-

Micechat has an editor note up on the front page today that had some of us CM's confused at lunch today. Here's the note:

Editor’s Note: October 30, 2014: Let the freezing begin - MuppetVision at DCA will be closing this Sunday. The attraction will then begin a seven week transformation into the Frozen stage show opening with the rest of the Frozen offerings that should debut on Saturday, December 20th. TDA is in no rush to announce their Frozen plans, and they're now planning to wait until after Thanksgiving before they say anything. But the Frozen related closures around Hollywood Land will soon be very noticeable.But this closure isn't listed on Disneyland.com, the GR phone room hotline, or next week's official CM Reference Guide as happening. If they are closing MuppetVision this weekend to turn it into a Frozen show for Christmas, TDA is in super-stealth mode on this one and isn't letting anyone know about it. The plot thickens!

The Muppets closure would last six months because Miceage reports the new Frozen show would run until early May, 2015.

I've read this one too. It's highly likely, and these are the rumors that I hear from sources.

GiveMeTheMusic

MuppetVision's closure is on Disneyland.com. This is indeed for Frozen.

I love how no one has believed this is happening. The Frozen show opens December 20.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
This really sucks. Thank you Disney for shoving Frozen down our throats once again and replacing what was probably one of the greatest attractions ever to do so.

GiveMeTheMusic

MuppetVision is an easy target at DCA - it has extremely low guest counts. 3D movies just don't hold up well at DLR, and MuppetVision has never been popular at DCA. That said, it should be returning in May unless they decide to extend the Frozen show indefinitely.

Frozen is the most popular Disney movie in 20 years, so it's hard to fault Disney for wanting to give guests a way to experience it in the parks. By contrast, the Muppet movie released this past year was a dismal failure at the box office.

I love MuppetVision, but the writing has been on the wall for some time.

TP2000

When the DCA makeover was announced in October, 2007, MuppetVision was slated for permanent closure to be replaced first by Philharmagic, then that was changed to a "Flex Theater" attraction they could use to tout the latest movie or pop culture thing. That got cut as they poured more money into Cars Land, but they did that anyway with the long string of temporary repurposes of MuppetVision with previews and 3D offerings over the past four years.

LA Times, October 18th, 2007 - Philharmagic replaces MuppetVision
DCAWDIMap.jpg

It's a minor miracle MuppetVision has lasted as long as it has. And quite frankly, I find the show in desperate need of an update and editing out five minutes and removing that annoying 3D character that flies around. If it's replaced with a Frozen stage show, then so be it. I'd bet two churros that Frozen will pull in thousands more people per day than MuppetVision currently is.

George Lucas on a Bench

I think it's a great show, but it was a bizarre choice to put it in DCA. It's old school Henson, not the crap Disney has put out ever since. It's honestly too GOOD for DCA and still doesn't really fit with the loose "Hollywood" theme. Whenever I've seen the show at DCA, it's like the Disneyland audience just doesn't get into it, yet MGM Studios audiences love it to this day.

TP2000

Whenever I've seen the show at DCA, it's like the Disneyland audience just doesn't get into it, yet MGM Studios audiences love it to this day.

The audience at the Studios in WDW is watching it in a park that only has five rides, and a handful of other theater shows that date from the early 1990's. The people in that park are starved for entertainment, so they are applauding it out of being grateful for getting into an actual attraction.

At least that's my theory. :D

GiveMeTheMusic

The audience at the Studios in WDW is watching it in a park that only has five rides, and a handful of other theater shows that date from the early 1990's. The people in that park are starved for entertainment, so they are applauding it out of being grateful for getting into an actual attraction.

At least that's my theory. :D

True. DHS and DCA have VERY different dynamics with their attraction rosters. Plus, with less of a local base, 3D movies generally do better at WDW than they do at DLR. Repeatability is a big factor for DLR, and these kinds of attractions just don't cut it with the guest base.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
I think an update would really drive people into the theater. I think it's the fact that it's the same film since 1991 that keep the numbers down. People probably feel like they've seen this already, so they'd rather go get a FastPass to ride Space Mountain.

GiveMeTheMusic

That's the thing though - it would, for 3-6 months. Within 18 months or less, it would be back down to next to zero attendance. I don't think we'll see any new 3D movies at DLR in the future - they're just not a good investment for park capacity.

FoozieBear

Original Poster
The frustrating thing is they could make a killer Muppets ride and they were supposed to in the early 90s at MGM Studios. The concept would actually be perfect for Hollywood at DCA. I do love Muppet Vision the film, but perhaps the coolest thing is seeing the live Muppet Animatronic characters in the theater.

Those plans in the early 90s were incredible. It's a real shame they never happened, along with the original Roger Rabbit plans for the park.

Travel Junkie

I knew the numbers were low but MiceChat is reporting that “the average daily attendance at MuppetVision that’s often only 1,500 people or less.”

FoozieBear

Original Poster
MiceChat isn't the most reliable source. Not saying they are wrong this time, but they generally report things and speculate things that are usually wrong.

Californian Elitist

I can believe those numbers, and information like that isn't hard to come by. And MiceChat has been on their game.

I've never in my life seen people in the Muppet queue or seen people walking out of the attraction. No lie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom