Multiple parties, dining plans, and automatic gratuities

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Has anyone else run into this before? I'm traveling to WDW with my parents, wife, daughter, and sisters and we'll be staying in two (possibly three) separate rooms. If we decide to do the dining plan, we'll have a separate pool of credits for each room. How will Disney split this up? Everyone is paying for their own trip, so I'd like to be sure that everyone's dining credits and gratuities are allocated properly. If we're all dining together, I'd like to be able to use two credits from Cap and Mrs. Cap's pool and pay our portion of the automatic gratuity for a party of 6+.

Mukta

Disney will split it up by room. They will bring one check for room 1 and the people on that DDP, another check for room 2 etc.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I think I know the answer to this, but I can book dining reservations at 180+10 even if some of the guests I'm eating with aren't staying on property, yes?

HolleBolleGijs

I think I know the answer to this, but I can book dining reservations at 180+10 even if some of the guests I'm eating with aren't staying on property, yes?

You should be able to! I made dining reservations before I had ANYTHING booked. It wasn't exactly at 180+10, but it wasn't too far off.

stevehousse

They most likely will add the 18 percent gratuity to each bill. example: You have everyone in the party(6 people) pay their own way (6 separate checks), and they will add gratuity to each check individually. That 18 % just gets divided, instead of paying one large bill and one large gratuity for the table...hope that makes sense.

sissa216

Yep!

- There is no problem making the ADR for everyone beyond your room at the 180+10 mark. You just need one reservation, and can reserve dining for your entire group.
- Everyone will be assessed automatic gratuity, and will only pay their own portion.
-You can split up checks however needed, and each smaller party will pay however they'd like (dining credits or OOP). They'll also pay their own gratuity based on how much their own bill is.

NonnaT

Hi there! Recently there has been some speculation about if patrons are required to pay the 18% gratuity added onto large party checks. I actually looked up the Florida law and legally if it is posted you must pay it. (Not getting into an argument about tipping - informational only). It is the same as if you order a meal that costs $25.00, you ordered it with the expectation you will pay it. If your meal was not up to par, you can discuss that with the manager, perhaps they will throw in a free dessert. Same for gratuity. If you receive poor service, you may discuss with the manager. Only the manager can adjust your bill. This is law in Florida. Your state may be different... Again this post is not meant to be confrontational, it is for information only, thanks!

CAPTAIN HOOK

From experience from our recent trip - let your server know at the beginning of the meal that -
a) you're on the Dining Plan
b) that you're paying a split bill - they'll scan the Magic Band of one person in each room to confirm that the plan you're on covers the meal and that there are sufficient credits left to cover it.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
Updating my OP and asking a new question...

We check in tomorrow and we'll be staying in two cabins. My parents and sisters have the dining plan in their cabin, but my wife and I do not. The new dining plan changes allow them to use credits to pay for our meals. If the six of us go to dinner and they use their credits to pay for everyone, can the waiter or waitress swipe my Magic Band or gift card separately for gratuity, or will it automatically be charged to my parents' room via the band because we're a party of six?

smi727

When your server comes to your table, tell him/her that you will be paying gratuity via cash/credit & not to chare it to magic band. IDK if you can use separate band for gratuity but I don't see why not. Ask your server & he/she should know or be able to find out for you.

NonnaT

Updating my OP and asking a new question...

We check in tomorrow and we'll be staying in two cabins. My parents and sisters have the dining plan in their cabin, but my wife and I do not. The new dining plan changes allow them to use credits to pay for our meals. If the six of us go to dinner and they use their credits to pay for everyone, can the waiter or waitress swipe my Magic Band or gift card separately for gratuity, or will it automatically be charged to my parents' room via the band because we're a party of six?
Yes you may...
Just let server know in advance!
Have fun!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
Although I know this isn't the case for you (as you have said you are NOT on the dining plan), I was recently at WDW with my child and my sister and husband. We stayed in two separate rooms and both rooms had the same dining plan. We found it easier (and quicker) with the change in rules about using dining credits to switch off using our credits and paying the tip - on one meal it would go on my room, on the next it would go on my sister's room. My sister is really good at keeping track of our shared expenses in a spreadsheet, and at the end of the trip we were almost even in terms of the amount each room paid for the tips, and then settled up between us.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
My experience has always been that when you both check-in at the front and when the waiter arrives at your table (TS restaurants here), you are always asked if anyone is on a dining plan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom