Multiple Ownership Interests

NOLADisneyFan

Original Poster
This may be a silly question, but my family and I (within the next 1.5 years) plan on buying into DVC, and I want to clarify something in my mind.

If I have an interest in one of the resorts, say 200 pts. in Saratoga Springs, and I want to go to the Grand Californian at DL, can I use those points to stay in the DVC part of the Grand Californian?

Its my understanding that I can, but I will not be given preference in booking, because it is not my "home resort."

Is this correct?

Now for a different scenario.

Let's say I have the same 200 pt interest in Saratoga Springs, and a 25 pt interest in the Grand Californian. Are they both then technically my "home resort," giving me preference in booking to either resort and allowing me to use 225 points (if I save them all) at either?

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Johnny

cemeb4dk

Question 1: Yes you can but you have to wait til the 7 month window since its not your home resort.

Question 2. They both are technically your home resorts but to book at the California at your 11 month window you will only be able to book 25 pts worth of points, then at your 7 month window you can add your other 200 pts to it if rooms still available.

Others with more knowledge may answer better, but this is how I understand it. So this is why when we add on points we will be adding on at our original home resort and same use month.

tjkraz

Others with more knowledge may answer better, but this is how I understand it. So this is why when we add on points we will be adding on at our original home resort and same use month.

That's exactly right.

There can certainly be benefits to owning at multiple resorts but it depends greatly on how much you plan to purchase. A 25-point add on won't go very far so you're best adding a resort already owned.

But if you want to add 100+ for occasional trips, there's nothing wrong with that. Contracts are always tracked independently. So if (for example) you want to visit Disneyland every 3 years and will need 300 points per trip, you could purchase a 100-point add-on and use the banking and borrowing provisions to your benefit. If you bank the 2010 points and borrow the 2012 points, you would have a total of 300 to use in the year 2011.

Aside from that, DVC does track all point activity closely and rules are designed to keep members from circumventing the 11/7 month booking rules.

TinkerBell#1

Another note:

If your buy-in/ use year is July and you buy other DVC ownership they can not be linked unless they are both July uses year.

Hear another example:

200 BLT OCT use year.
100 AKV July use year.

you need 200 points book AKV in MAY. now you can book 100 points of AKV or borrow 100 from the next year. And you are set. Let say you really do not want to borrow. And want 200 BLT point to book AKV in MAY. You could still book with AKV points. when 200 point for BLT come in OCT you could use them for AKV stay in MAY. Here is the problem with that. You have your reservation already. You have to cancel your AKV points and rebook with your BLT points. In the short amount of time it take to cancel and rebook, they can sell out of AKV rooms in MAY in that short 5 mins.

Side note: you can only move points once. So once you Bank/borrow they can not move again. Now in the above situation you can leave the borrow points (since you can not move them)and bank your current points. Now you still have your 100 points per year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom